The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
WTB a new computer. Apple or IBM?
Old 5th July 2005
Here for the gear

WTB a new computer. Apple or IBM?

Simply, need a new computer for recording purposes.

I am desiring a Mac, however my brother (also a Mac user) told me that since newer Macs will come with Intel processors within the next few years, that software developers are already starting to ditch writing new drivers/programs for Mac based platforms.

Go with IBM, or stick with Mac and see what happens. Any thoughts? Insights?

Thanks.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'd say go with the platform for the sequencer you like to use most.

If you like Logic than do Apple. If you Like Cubase than do PC. If you like a sequencer that is cross platform (ProTools) then I'd have to agree with your brother go with the PC (I'm even an Apple user).

Apple is a bit slippery these days. But then again one doesn't have to go along with them on every update. Many a folk may still be on Apple's Jaguar.

You could get a set up running solid and then get on with making music for 3-5 years before temtation really hits again.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree. You need to figure out what software you'll be running.
becasue if it's Logic, then you're definitely be going Mac.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Even if it is Logic, I would hold off for about a year before I bought a new Mac, as the architecture is changing. Even though the current G5s are really nice (I have a dual 2.5) I think that unless you need it right now, wait a year as the "Mactels" are supposed to start coming in June of '06.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

percussive.....
i'm assuming you dont have a daw computer currently ?
if so - how about this for an idea ? if you dont need a billion plug ins and tracks ?
find a used amd duron 1.3ghz system. (about 150 bucks to 200) and plop
a second drive in with a 8mb cache for speed for another 80 bucks.
make sure you get 512 ram.
and a delta sound card - how many inputs do you need ?
if only stereo - you can buy a audiophile 2496 for 90 bucks.
total so far - about 400 bucks. then you can put powertracks that i use on it for
48 track recording for another 50 bucks. so now - we are up to 450 bucks.
just add a mixer and mics. eg...yamaha mg mixer for another 90 bucks.
grand total.....550 bucks around.

The reason i'm suggesting this low cost approach is the whole world of computer architecture is changing rapidly with dual core and quadra cores coming.
And it might make prudent sense to let prices settle a bit.
The approach i suggested will enable you to get a slew of songs down.
I know people using this approach - many in fact - and even making money at it !
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS
wait a year as the "Mactels" are supposed to start coming in June of '06.
But you would either need to be very brave/dumb to buy a first generation macintel. 2007 would be a more sensible time to buy.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

again it really depends on the sequencer you are using.. granted it is very tempting to wait until the "mactels" come out, but if you are up to the task of making music then make it happen.. even though i am a mac/logic user i would suggest probably getting some type of pc box for now and eventually getting the mac of your desire.. simply because i feel it's good to have both platforms in the studio.. you never know what you may need in the future.. but make it simple.. don't jump head first into just anything.. make sure you get something that works.. the last thing you want is to have to trouble shoot every 15 min's... or maybe you can find a decent g4 on ebay or something and go from there. you would only spend about a thousand bucks and get some type of dual g4. which should be good enough if you don't go crazy with plugs.. i just finished a project with about 20 track with midi, virtual instruments(3 stylus rmx's, 1 atmosphere, evp88), and audio 90% with some type of processing and bussing.. and only hit about 75-80% cpu on my dual 867 g4(getting pretty old). but it just goest to show that you can get some work done.. ya know.. the choice is yours.. and either one you go with should be a great investment!! hope it works out for ya!!
Old 5th July 2005
Here for the gear

eveyone, thank you very much for your replys. they will all be taken into consideration......

just to settle any bets that may be out there, i am currently using Pro tools digi002 on a windows based system, however i am maxed out at 256MB RAM and a low RPM hard drive.....I am actually most likely going to buy a laptop for recording only. the computer i have works just fine for word processing and and internet, so i dont want to put whatever i buy online unless i have to transfer files.

thanks again everyone.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

that's a good idea.... i actually plan to pick up this machine this week... it's a great deal on a dell and digi likes dell machines..

17" screen with Pentium M up to 2GHZ.....starting at $1079.\

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...e=ss&c=US&l=EN
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you read the DUC, you will see that the Emachines/Gateway AMD64 based Laptops are very popular.
They work very well and are inexpensive. I have seen teh emachines m6805 on sale for $750,-.
A great way to go. Even if it is temporary.

Mark
Old 5th July 2005
If you prefer working on a Mac and the performance is adequate for your needs, I'd stick with the Mac, all other things being equal.

The transition will take a while. A machine you buy today will be just as powerful (relative to the task of today, at any rate) in a few years. By the time the Mac platform has stabilized around their new 'home' in '86 land, you'll have got several years of use out of the platform you prefer.

If, on the other hand, you're undecided on which platform you prefer to work on, your decision path may be considerably more complex.

I would carefully look at design and service issues with regard to the current Mac platform. Current G5's have some serious design-related issues with regard to hard drive, PCI, and Firewire controllers, specifically relating to speed of access to memory. (MacInTouch.)

I would lurk the Mac BB's (keeping in mind that Apple's BB's are pruned by the fabled "Apple Cops" on an ongoing basis) and look at issues relating to any system and use I was considering. (Try googling the Mac model number along with the model numbers of any specific hardware you want to use.)

The Mac is, in many ways, a great platform. But is in no way perfect. Apple is a company, like any other, but with the greater burden that they are soley responsible for it. When things are good, they can be very good. When they aren't...

[Full disclosure: I'm very happy using a Windows machine. But I long for the day when open source OS's like Linux can offer the same multimedia services at the OS level that Windows has since '96 and OS X has since 10.2.]
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

If your calling it a IBM then I suggest you get a Mac.
Old 6th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
If your calling it a IBM then I suggest you get a Mac.
Heh... I'm so old I didn't even catch that. Although I personally tried never to use "IBM" to mean an x86 computer running DOS or a DOS clone, since the only thing that attracted me to the notion of the IBM PC was that early on there were other hardware manufacturers, and soon enough DOS clones, too.

Some of my PC clones didn't have any IBM hardware or MS software at all. For years I ran DR-DOS, a clone of DOS from the guy who wrote CPM, which DOS was largely copied from.

When MS cut a deal with IBM to supply them with next gen console chips I was momentarily slack jawed... everything had come back around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search