The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Real Player behaving as master volume.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Real Player behaving as master volume.

For some reason Real Player...which I do not use much, seems to be the master volume control for all of my computer related audio...

I found this out recently by hunting my ass off looking for the reason my new batch of MP3's I burned were so low in signal playing out of Window Media Player or Sound Forge..Sure enough after hours and re-summing these mixes I discovered it was the Real Player volume control had been turned down.
Any ideas?

I have no problem uninstalling real player but it plays MP4's and WMP doesn't.

My sound card is a Tascam FW1804...I am running ADAT I/O to a digital board and monitoring off of the board.

I have looked at the obvious settings but can find no logical reason that the volume control in Real Player would be dictating the overall levels of Sound Forge or Windows Media.
It is driving me a little nuts.

P&B,
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Tell us what soundcard. It's likely that it uses Windows' standard soundcard mixer, which realplayer does indeed take control of when launched. If this is the case, I would go to your Windows control panel, 'sound and audio devices', and check "place volume icon on taskbar." Then you will have a place to go to always make sure the master and all inputs are set to max.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv
Tell us what soundcard. It's likely that it uses Windows' standard soundcard mixer, which realplayer does indeed take control of when launched..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
My sound card is a Tascam FW1804...I am running ADAT I/O to a digital board and monitoring off of the board.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Head

If you'r not using any special features of RealPlayer (just playing a rm file now and then), you may want to uninstall RealPlayer and use Real Alternative instead. It doesn't try to take over your computer like the official player.

There's also one for QuickTime. Thanks to these 2 programs I haven't had to install any of that bloatware in years.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

doh... I know... RTFP.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfall
If you'r not using any special features of RealPlayer (just playing a rm file now and then), you may want to uninstall RealPlayer and use Real Alternative instead. It doesn't try to take over your computer like the official player.

There's also one for QuickTime. Thanks to these 2 programs I haven't had to install any of that bloatware in years.
Thanks Hammerfal!! Appreciate the links!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search