The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio cards?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

Audio cards?

What's the deal with audio cards anyway? I'm sure that they are very important but seeing as I'm not a computer guy I don't know much about them. I've always used whatever my computers already had wich I'm sure is a big no no. I'm using PT le on my laptop. Do they make them for powerbook G4's? It'd be cool to unveil the mystery of these things and get on the train with everyone else. Thanks!
PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th July 2005
For a laptop you can get a Firewire-based soundcard like the RME Fireface 800 or the MOTU Traveller. The benefits of using a professional sound card like one of these include:

---higher quality sound
---lower latency when recording and playing back
---better connectivity (XLR, SPDIF, etc.)
---onboard mic pres (in some cases, such as the two cards I mentioned)
---multiple simultaneous inputs and outputs
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
What's the deal with audio cards anyway? I'm sure that they are very important but seeing as I'm not a computer guy I don't know much about them. I've always used whatever my computers already had wich I'm sure is a big no no. I'm using PT le on my laptop. Do they make them for powerbook G4's? It'd be cool to unveil the mystery of these things and get on the train with everyone else. Thanks!
PEACE!!!!!!!!!!

How are you running Protools|LE without a digidesign Audio interface?

why thats "unpossible".
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

I'm using an 002r and have an mbox that I carry around with my laptop. It appears my question is ill informed and that the interface is the audio card or something like that. I dunno. I never said I was a computer or technical genuis ( ha ha) just a musician who deals more with music than technology. ??????? I originally thought that an audio card was an actual card that you buy that goes in your computer or something.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm using an 002r and have an mbox that I carry around with my laptop. It appears my question is ill informed and that the interface is the audio card or something like that. I dunno. I never said I was a computer or technical genuis ( ha ha) just a musician who deals more with music than technology. ??????? I originally thought that an audio card was an actual card that you buy that goes in your computer or something.

Yup, you got it. An audio interface and an audio card are the same thing in terms of purpose and primary function (audio to digital and back again generally to communicate with a computer). However people might assume that when you say "audio card" you mean something in the style of a PCI card that you put in one of the slots of a desktop computer and that an Audio interface is something with an external breakout box.

For example, people might consider the Lynx One, Two, L22, etc to be an Audio Card. If you check out www.lynxstudio.com they have some pictures so you can see what a PCI card looks like.

One the other hand an Audio interface might be considered as an Mbox, 002R, RME fireface, M-Audio Delta66, etc, etc.

There are no PCI slots in a Laptop, this is why Firewire & USB are popular choices. There are a few PCMCIA (often refered to as "cardbus") style interfaces for laptops too like the RME Multiface (with RME's cardbus card instead of there PCI card ) and the Echo Layla 24 (with Echo's cardbus card instead of there PCI card).
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks for clarifying that for me bro. If i never asked I'd still be wondering if I was missing something here. PEACE!
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that for me bro. If i never asked I'd still be wondering if I was missing something here. PEACE!

no worries... better to ask than sit in the dark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search