The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are there any other OSX DAW sequencers similar to PT
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Are there any other OSX DAW sequencers similar to PT

particularly UI / handling of audio in the edit window of PT?

thanks
Old 3rd July 2005
Lou Judson
Disclaimer: I only use Protools, it's a handicap of mine. I don't do MIDI or play instruments, real or fake - just a live sound and recording engineer. That said, There is nothing like Protools! Recently wanted to be able to use a four channel input device and tried to find a substitute for PT - nothing comes close for audio recording, at all, as far as I can see. Peak is as easy to use, but only two channel. I only do macs so there may be something on windoze that I don't know about personally.

By the way PT is audio software first, sequencer secondarily. The reason it is premiere in the recording studio world is precisely how well it handles audio! (Well, maybe some marketing in there too, but if it didn't work so well it wouldn't be so universal!)

<L>
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks Lou

I love the way PT handles audio too and it seems like there could be more OSX software out there doing what PT does but maybe native and unlimited tracks ++ heh

it can't be that difficult surely

I've got HD just unsure about using Logic in my other place...want more options
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renie
thanks Lou

I love the way PT handles audio too and it seems like there could be more OSX software out there doing what PT does but maybe native and unlimited tracks ++ heh

it can't be that difficult surely

I've got HD just unsure about using Logic in my other place...want more options
scrap the mac.....go to pc get Samplitude....don't look back
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks
Nuendo and Cubase SX.
Except they handle audio AND Midi much better.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

what do you prefer about the way they handle audio compared to PT?
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

What about Soundtrack Pro? It's very powerfull editingwise, and is unlimited tracks I believe. And it gives you a sneak peak into Logic 8 probably heh
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do you prefer about the way they handle audio compared to PT?

realtime fades.
Clip Level automation (greta for smoothign out audio peaks BEFORE they hit the plug-ins) as well as rubberband automation.
Clips don't dissappear when other clips are laid on top of them.
Unlimited track count.
When clipleve is adjusted, the size of the waveform chnges accordingly, making it much easier to match levels between clips.
You can use VST instruments and Plug-ins withoiut having to resort to a lame RTAS wrapper.

these are just a few.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks
Look into Digital Performer.
It's made by Mark Of The Unicorn.
I am a Mac/PT user and DP seems fairly close in its approach.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for Digital Performer.
4.52, the latest version, is a truly great and underrated DAW program.
I have Digi interfaces here, and ProTools, and I know PT inside out, but I just have them for the compatibility I need from time to time.
DP feels like home to me.

The other bonus, serious bonus, is that every guitarist, drummer, bass player and his dog seem to know ProTools these days and I have often had them slowing the process down while I either tutor them on PT ('what was that you just did?' 'what was that shortcut?',etc) or they 'suggest' some 'useful' PT tricks ('normalize', 'reverse', me- "weh-hey, thanks for that!").
I never get this with DP because it is MY program and they 95% of the time, don't know it, nor want to. They usually just sit back and let the captain guide the ship.

There is nothing I can't do in DP that I can do in PT, in fact it is the other way round for me now, there are things in DP that I miss when I have to work in PT.
The only thing I miss from PT is Sound Replacer occassionally...but I just export the file I want replacing, SR it then fly it back into DP.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
What about Soundtrack Pro? It's very powerfull editingwise, and is unlimited tracks I believe. And it gives you a sneak peak into Logic 8 probably heh
i checked this out at the gear pimps.
WAY deeper than i thought it was gonna be.
multifaceted, in fact.
i was thinkin' the very same thing about it's use as a multi-track.
if there is unlimited tracks this could be the answer to the "PT killer" rumour.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search