The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
G5/tiger/ptools6.9.2 is this a reliable combo yet?
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear
Talking G5/tiger/ptools6.9.2 is this a reliable combo yet?

I'm going to replace my old G4 with the new G5 and tiger.
Is the new Protools6.9.2 with this combo reliable? 2 gigs of ram enough?
Thanks
daniel
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ
I'm going to replace my old G4 with the new G5 and tiger.
Is the new Protools6.9.2 with this combo reliable? 2 gigs of ram enough?
Thanks
daniel
i just posted on the duc.

I've spent the day trying to do a clean install of tiger and moving from g4 to g5.....

it's VERY tricky getting to 6.9.2 (because it's an update that relies on a previous panther release) from only having tiger on installed.

I'm hoping someone will answer. Fortunately I kept everything on my g4 for the time being, although I moved my hd cards...i'm questioning why I jumped
ugghhhhh
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I have had no problems other than my Auto Tune authorization didn't transfer because I never got off my butt and had it authorized to my Ilok. I had a small Altiverb problem with Altiverb 4 (Again my fault) but one small email and it was resolved.

The best thing I can say and what I did is this:

First start up your G-5. It asks if you want to transfer data from your old computer. I hooked up my G-4 with the firewire cable and restarted with the T button down so that it turned it into a hard drive. It recognized the OSX drive and off it went. 45 minutes later everything from my G-4 was on my G-5 including all my old emails, addresses, and any other information that I am sure I would have spent months trying to remember to transfer. This also includes all my Pro Tools plugins, programs, and settings and prefs. I went to the digi site and downloaded the 6.9.2. Installed the update. Repaired disk permissions and started it up.

I have had no real problems or crashes. When I installed 6.9 on Panther after living through the hell that was 6.7 I found it to be the most stable version of Pro-Tools I have used since 6.2.1. 6.9 is great and 6.9.2 on Tiger seems to be even better. Most of it is the G-5 but Tiger seems to be great so far.

I am running PT HD-5 with 2.5 gigs of Ram on a new G-5 with Tiger.

Michael Greene
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Pro Tools seems to be okay but I think there may be some Core Audio issue with QuickTime. Since upgrading Quicktime has been glitching all over the place, I've re-installed but still no joy.

But other than that, so far, so good
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
it's VERY tricky getting to 6.9.2 (because it's an update that relies on a previous panther release) from only having tiger on installed.

Well, it's what you call VERY tricky of course. Once you've done your clean install of tiger and configured your settings (which imho is tricker then the 6.9.2 install), you run the PT 6.9 installer and right after that the 6.9.2 installer (and the cs1). That's it realy ... 6.9 will install under Tiger, it just won't run.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've had no problems yet with 6.9.2 ang Tiger on my 2.7 G5. The install was easy as was re-authorizations and my other applications. Except now Peak makes an odd noise when it starts up, then goes away. ?

Come to think of it, I did have one problem. A Quicktime video i tried to load into PT wasn't getting accepted, although i did get it to work in 6.9 on my Powerbook that still runs Panther. I think the file may have gotten corrupted somehow, but it is odd.

Dante
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear
Talking

Guys this is good to hear! I bought the 2gig mac tonite! I'll be back If I run into trouble gettin it goin
thanks
daniel
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

i'm running a dual 2.5 g5 with a gig of ram on 10.3.9 and it's running great!!
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
Well, it's what you call VERY tricky of course. Once you've done your clean install of tiger and configured your settings (which imho is tricker then the 6.9.2 install), you run the PT 6.9 installer and right after that the 6.9.2 installer (and the cs1). That's it realy ... 6.9 will install under Tiger, it just won't run.
I was an idiot and had my ribbon connectors reversed (G4 was opposite) and so that was half of my problem(with interfaces not showing up).

My G5 came with Panther installed and a tiger update disk, meaning it had to see Panther installed to install Tiger. I didn't want panther installed and I wanted to partition the system drive, so I had to install Panther from scratch to partition and then Tiger (clean erase).
The settings in the OS seem to be about the same as Panther, except for spotlight quick keys.

As far as the PT install. 6.4 was the most recent full version that I had. So I had to go from 6.4 to 6.7 to 6.9 to 6.9.2 to 6.9.2cs1. That was less tricky and more of a pain. They don't seem to have 6.7 or 6.9 downloads posted on the site anymore (that I could find), so I had to find some files from old backups.

I've been running on it for a day and it seems pretty stable. I have heavy overdubs soon, so I'll really find out. I am now anxious to get tiger on my other macs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search