The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with sequencer
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Help with sequencer

Hi. I´m not sure if this fits here but I really don´t know were else to ask so...here goes:

I am currently using a mc-505 as a sequencer and master midi clock for all my synths and samplers. So far so good. Altough i really don´t like the sounds of this machine, i like the way i can control other machines from there, specially because of the 8 faders and controllers. The thing is my groovebox has too many years of programing and i can´t control the personality moods anymore! Too many crazy bugs and sometimes it looses the information I program. So i am looking for some other new machine that has to be a very good sequencer, with faders and other controllers but i don´t want it to be a computer software neither a box with sound engine. i really don´t need the sounds. I just want a good and modern hardware sequencer with hands-on controllers, no sound engine, a lot of midi capabilities and reliable. Is there any thing out there that matches this!
Thanks
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I really like the Yamaha QY100. It is a great sequencer with lots of features. You need external midi faders and controllers, though. It is designed to be portable.

I am also happy with the Korg ESX1 for drums and beats and stuff like that.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks rodhmos. I ´ll check those 2. Altough i really want only one machine to handle it all. I have to many modules already in my studio. I was looking for something like the new groovebox but without sound engine. Thanks anyway
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Smile

I have a Roland MC-80EX for sale. It is a modern, extremely capable sequencer. It's not directly a groove box though, more like a traditional sequencer. I would keep it if I was going to play live, but in the studio I've decided to go for the computer stuff.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for your offer amino but i am really looking for something a bit more recent/modern and with faders so i can directly control the volumes of my synths and samplers in real-time. Thanks again.
Anymore options out there?
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Someone...Please...Help.. My 505 did it again. I just lost all the velocity programming. I really need another sequencer. dfegad 505
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Cool

Well...the market for hardware sequencers is pretty small nowadays. The ones that exist are usually meant as all-in-one-boxes, where you get a groovebox with builtin sounds and usually also audio recording. I don't know what you mean with controlling volumes in the sequencer. When it's time to record you'd better crank up all the volumes anyway, at least if you're multitracking. I would prefer to do that on the mixer.

Newer all-one-one-boxes include:

Roland MC-909
Yamaha RS-7000
E-mu Command Stations (XL-7 and MP-7)
Akai MPC-4000

I've had other MPC's but I don't think they fit your description as a "very good sequencer". The MPC-1000 is for instance very limited as a sequencer. The only one matching MC-80 in the above list on that part is MPC-4000, but it doesn't have eight faders either.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Amino: Thanks for your links. I will check the emu, the only i didn´t test yet. The yama is very good, i have a friend using it but it has too many functions, sounds and features i don´t need, and, beacause of so, it´s too expensive for what i need. Thanks anyway.
About the volume control i mean some kind of fader, like the 505 has, where when at live i can control the volume and other parameters of my synths. For example i can start moving fader n 1 up do make a fade in of one of the synths phrase without having to control it on the synth itself. Beacause i have a lot to control, an akai s5000, nord modular, korg tribe, prophet vs, nord lead 2, etc., i need some kind of sequencer that let me have a hands-on control of all the modules, like faders or knobs- i prefer the faders. Something like a midi controller ( a kenton for ex.) with a modern midi sequencer built in would be what im searching for but didn´t found anything yet. Thanks again

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search