The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turning down the overall volume of each track in PT?
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Turning down the overall volume of each track in PT?

Hello, I am mixing a record in PT and find that my interface is starting to get alot of Red lights so, I am wondering if anybody knows a trick to turn down each track equally? I don't want to use a master fader, because the individual tracks will still clip ... I have about 40 tracks ...

Thanks,
Ian
Old 2nd July 2005
Learn how to 'solo isolate' all your FX returns & the master fader - (this greys out the the S letter on the channel)

(remember lowering the FX returns will mess things up if you are using 'post fade sends')

Then make a mixer group containing ALL the faders you want to lower and carefully pick one of the highest faders and use that to bring all the (now linked) faders.

De-select that mixer group once you have performed the operation.

Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Jules, will this work, even though I have alot of volume automation?
Old 2nd July 2005
With the correct automation mode, it will keep all your existing fades (I forget which that is though)

Anyone?
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Trim mode.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Folkson
Trim mode.
Just like SSL
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks, I will try this out tonight and see if it works.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

TRIM automation mode is only available for TDM systems.. if you're running LE use the Trimmer Tool to trim the automation.

Rail
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound
so, I am wondering if anybody knows a trick to turn down each track equally?

standard there's a 'all' group for both mix and edit. you can enable that one and pull all your faders down at once.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

A simple way is to put all tracks showing their volume lines, then, go to the end of the song, where there are no auto anymore. Hold shift and trim down all lines at the same time and with the same value. I do it everytime. Hope it helps
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Make sure your FX returns are not included in the mix group you create.
In the edit window Hold down (option) then change all tracks to view volume automation. Select over all automation thru the end of the song, make sure there are breakpoints on all tracks at the end to retain your moves. Use the smart tool and lower all tracks. Works perfectly. Make sure you master fader and FX returns are not included.
As previously discussed, try and keep your master fader close to unity (or at unity) and the audio level on that fader should be at around a -12 average with plug ins bypassed.

Also toggle between pre and post fader metering to verify you are not clipping at either stage.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. I tried it out and it worked perfectly.

Kind Regards,
Ian
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Addict

You can still pull your master fader. It doesn't work like an analog mix bus (I know I know). The individual channels will not actually clip, as there is a ridiculous amount of headroom built in. Search the Digi dite for their article about the gain struture of their mix bus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search