The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
uses for 700mhz PIII PC??
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Addict

uses for 700mhz PIII PC??

I've had this 700mhz PIII, 512mb ram that I had built a few years ago for a while now, and have pretty much gotten my usage out of it, but I was wondering if there is any life yet left in this old dog....

for the most part, current programs like Cubase SX, all the samplers, any softsynths except for maybe Lounge Lizard and Absynth really seem to bog it down....Logic 5.5 runs somewhat....plugs like Ozone, Psp vintage warmer, etc. totally bog it down....the only thing that seems to run anywere near decent is ACID.....or Tracktion....

any other suggestions for some uses for this aging desktop PC?? besides a doorstop?
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

yikes. P3 700mhz.. that's a tough one. maybe u can use it as a dedicated lounge lizard system? :D or u can make it a anything besides music computer. your checking email, word, etc.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

GigaStudio. With a butt load of ram and a huge HD you can make the comp into a decent sampler.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
GigaStudio. With a butt load of ram and a huge HD you can make the comp into a decent sampler.
I thought giga streamed from hard disk......how much ram do you consider a buttload.?

are you talking mainly as a standalone or alongside a sequencer??
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisedap
yikes. P3 700mhz.. that's a tough one. maybe u can use it as a dedicated lounge lizard system? :D or u can make it a anything besides music computer. your checking email, word, etc.
Yep. I'll 2nd all of these. I have P2 400 machine I use as a testbed for various freeware/shareware apps as well as using it for an insecure web machine.. and to test security fixes before applying them to trusted machines. If it gets f'd up, just re-image and there you are. I also have a P3 700 I use as a secure web browser that only gets used to access bank info, order **** and so on.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

I was going to suggest a browser of server.....Giga would be good too.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

web browser / jukebox
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Head

you can upgrade ram in machiens now for as little as $70... just put a 512mb chip in it... wipe the machine clean and use it, like it has already eben suggested, as gigastudio... as a sampler machine...if its a decent size hard drive...seems a good idea...

or a really elaborate coaster.. just kidding...

best of luck...
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/

FX teleport, it works rather well, now you can run Giga, wich is a great idea, or another VSTi sampler from within your host or another VSTi or Fx, it´s cheap, easy to install after properly networked your machines.
I´ve been using it to run UAD on my laptop but it doesn´t work well with UAD but the rest of the plugs work the same has they were running normally.

Bye.
Old 3rd July 2005
My (seldom used) desktop is a P3-500, 1/2 GB RAM, 7200 rpm drives. It's plenty good for straight recording, as long as you don't go crazy with plugs. Crazy being more than 4 or 5 conventional verbs. CPU-hungry v-synths are pretty much an impracticality, although it seemed to run the Reason demo just fine.

But, yeah, when I move from my relatively modest laptop (1.4 gHz PM/Centrino) back to the ol' desktop, it does feel a bit sluggish. (Then again, it really needs a good reinstall. I managed to hose it somehow. If it was my primary machine I would have straightened it out the first day I screwed it up... as it was, I got it limping and let it slide after that. It's basically just there hosting 240 GB of storage. And it makes me feel more secure in some sort of self-deceiving way to do my banking on it rather than my laptop via my 128 bit encrypted wireless net.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search