The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Learning About DVD Music Recording?
Old 30th June 2005
Here for the gear

Learning About DVD Music Recording?

There isn't much I don't know about making a CD with Wavelab. I work with a small jazz quintet and we've turned out some pretty nice demos using just Wavelab and recording live. I also have Cubase SX3 and I'm learning multitrack recording.

I just received my new Echo AUDIOFIRE12 yesterday. Although I am mostly a novice hobbyist, I will post some opinions on this hardware after I have played with it a bit.

Now the bottom line is I know nothing about recording DVD music. I think I have all the tools to create a 5.1 surround DVD disc, but haven't the faintest clue where to get started.

It seems to me that it will have to conform to either the DVD-Audio or SACD format. Is this true?

I'm looking for any good books or web sites that will help me learn how to do this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Don't plan on making sacd at home. Sony won't share. Dvd is however, wide open territory...

You didn't say what Wavelab you have. If it's version 5 that you are a registered owner for, just go to the Wavelab forum and you can learn or ask about anything dvd related. That'll get you up through making simple dvd-a after you've recorded your sessions and bounced them down for 5.1 preparation in Cubase etc.

From there, if you want to get into alternate ways of doing dvd-a, you can explore programs like Minnetonka Chrome and it's associated website pdf's/tech guys etc.

Then down the road, if you want to get into doing multi-channel stuff that's tied to extensive video, you can learn about all the video oriented formats that involve additional processing programs...formats such as DTS etc. Which may take you into the additional worlds of assembling multichannel/video formats.

And as you post dvd related questions anywhere on the worldwide web, you can regularly expect answers from London based Neil Wilkes no matter where you are! (smile). I have a theory that Neil owns software that instantly notifies him whenever any human on planet earth posts any dvd-a comment or question on any Internet website on the planet!
Old 30th June 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply. The Cubase/Wavelab forums didn't even occur to me (duh!).

I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Wilkes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search