The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
96KHz vs. 192KHz and do you give a f8ck?
Old 26th June 2005
Here for the gear

96KHz vs. 192KHz

your thoughts?
Old 26th June 2005
If you're going to mix "outside the box" (ie, send out submixes through a multichannel i/o) and you have lots of computer horsepower, you might want to experiment with higher sampling rates.

But if you keep your production chain in the digital domain from tracking to CD or mp3, you'll probably want to keep your work at 44.1 kHz -- or an even multiple of it like 88.2 or 176.4 -- to avoid the signal deterioration associated with downsampling from a rate that is an uneven multiple of the target rate.

[Now, if you're outputting to DVD for video or 48 or 96 kHz DVD audio, OTOH, and staying in the digital domain, it's certainly best to work at 48 kHz or an even multiple, 96 or 192 kHz.]

While it makes perfect sense to work at 24 bits (or higher) even if you're outputting to 16 bits for CD or mp3s, because of the uneven-multiple-downsample issue, most of the folks I respect work at their target sample rate -- and if they want to maximize their fidelity during the production stage or have a high-def copy for archival, they work at double the sample rate.

So, you know, the short answer is, it's nice to have high resolution as an option should you ever need it -- but for most folks, who need to balance computer horsepower requirements with plug-in use and track count, most folks find working at higher dynamic resolution (bit depth) to be far more important.*

* -- since each added bit doubles the resolution... a 16 bit binary number can hold any of roughly 64,000 values. A 24 bit number can hold any of 16 million values. That's a 256 fold increase in dynamic resolution for only a 50% increase in processing overhead. In most cases, any reasonably trained ear can easily hear the difference between 16 bit sound and 24 bit sound. But few subjects in tests of 48 kHz versus 96 kHz at the same bit depth have been able to consistently tell the diff. Additionally, blindfold tests conducted (I think) by Apogee in the 90's suggested that most subjects preferred 20 bit 48 kHz over 16 bit 96 kHz, further corroborating the generally accepted wisdom that bit depth increase trumps sample rate increase at the typical rates in use in the last 10 years. [Coffee. It's the coffee talking.]
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Well, from what I've read. Alot of the "Big Guys" have tried the 96k thing, and have been doign everythign back at 44.1. The extra bandwidth isn't worth it, accordign to what i've read.

Also, I read that one of the ALge's transfer everyhtign they get to the sony 3348 (16 bit) and mix from that.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

It depends on your plugins.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

When well-implemented by competent people like Manley Labs, Daniel Weiss, David Hill (Cranesong) then 24/192Khz outshines and sounds superior than the lower rate ****. SACD also can sound superior as well, for example, check out Pink Floyd's DSOTM release in SACD format in a good monitoring environment.

Caveat: there are plenty of bad implementations out there at all bit depths and sample rates, be very careful in making the vendor and product selection.

Remember that MP3 and standard CD 16-bit format sound like ass when compared to great analogue.

The music industry certainly would have better sounding products if they came up with new and better digital formats and left the older, inferior sounding digital formats behind.

It will only be thru more technological advances and progress will digital sound quality ever hope to live up to the superior sound quality of great analogue.

As always,
YMMV
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

All my mixes go to a seperate HD system @ 192K heh
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

24/44.1 all the way

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search