The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranesong Phoenix TDM?
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

Cranesong Phoenix TDM?

Hi all...

I've heard the HEDD H/W (very nice), but haven't heard the Phoenix Plugin Suite.

Will the Phoenix Plugz work the same magic via a lowly Mix+ with Apogee I/O?

Thanks for your comments...

Doug
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdayson
Hi all...

I've heard the HEDD H/W (very nice), but haven't heard the Phoenix Plugin Suite.

Will the Phoenix Plugz work the same magic via a lowly Mix+ with Apogee I/O?

Thanks for your comments...

Doug
You may wish to do a search for specific discussions. My only comment is that I use it on EVERY Protools session I open up !!! According to the documentation, you'll get better results at high sample rates, but for some reason i've worked on a lot of 44.1 things over the past few months and the Phoenix is definitely doing something cool!

highly recommended...

John
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Do some of you insert Phoenix as the first instance on every track,
like emulating an analog console?

ruudman
Old 25th June 2005
no ssl yet
just got mine today (NO MORE DEMO )

I kinda think of the phoenix as a highlight tool and only higilight things that need to stand out.

I'm still wondering if I have a need for analog channel now. I know they r 2 diff beasts, but I love what the CS phoenix does and my analog channel demo was up ages ago.

I may end up going with the McDSP classic bundle and getting it anyway. Though I mainly need compressorbank only
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
You may wish to do a search for specific discussions. My only comment is that I use it on EVERY Protools session I open up !!! According to the documentation, you'll get better results at high sample rates, but for some reason i've worked on a lot of 44.1 things over the past few months and the Phoenix is definitely doing something cool!

highly recommended...

John
I use Nuendo..so I never had the chance to hear Phoenix...do you have any clip comparisons. I would love to hear what it can do.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Phoenix is a MUST.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Guru

I'm trying to use as much outboard as I can for PT mixing..But I find I use the Phoenix more than anything else.so stupid simple, sounds good..and is very DSP friendly
I haven't opened the analog channel in months.seems to downsize the signal a bit,
as were the Phoenix just makes everything just a bit bigger and less ****gital.
.best money I've spent on a plug so far. thumbsup
Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

Phoenix has put MCDSP AC to rest for me. I use phoenix on nearly every channel i can put it on.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Is the phoenix comparable to the tape emulation in the hedd 192?
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

IMO the Pheonix PI is like a an Aphex. It does funny things to the sound. I demo'd it a while back and never liked it.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I like both the Analog Channel and Phoenix, depends on the color you want, the console settings in AC are nice.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear
installed phoenix last night. when i heard it on individual tracks in solo, i didn't really get it. but today i was rough mixing some stuff and when things were harsh or thin (hats, snare, vox, bass), i decided to try a dab here and there - when you hear those plugs within the mix, a very little goes a hell of a long way... and i LOVED it. perfect cure for screechy highs, and it's a great 'fattener'. i can see substituting alot of EQ for phoenix.

the more i used it, the more i liked it. phoenix rocks dudes... it's 5:30AM... gotta go get me some sleep...
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Maniac

phoenix is an amazing plug-in but it's not the hedd algorithm. dave hill is rumored to be working on his next plug-in for pro tools that brings the hedd algorithm inside the daw. watch out for that one!
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Straight from the Crane Song website! http://www.cranesong.com/PHOENIX.html

"The PHOENIX suite is not merely a downscaled version of the Crane Song HEDD processor, but a ground-up application derived from HEDD technology, and specifically engineered and optimized for Digidesign’s TDM architecture."

"Iridescent has a similar magnetic character, but with a fatter bottom and midrange. This plug-in is the most similar to the tape knob on HEDD-192."

Take it for whatever it's worth.

I think it's great!

KC
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Phoenix has changed the way PT sounds for me. I own a HEDD , Trakker's and soon Spider- Phoenix is a must have , addictive and amazing.

Drums , Bass, gtrs, Vocals pretty much anything can be cool thru it, It is compression, EQ and other voo-doo magic.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Dave Hill is a Nuendo bigot. I'd love to give him my money, but he only likes the profools TDM types.....

Someone will eventually make a Phoenix like plug for native systems and they'll get my money....(assuming it's good of course)
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Aargh!
I'm full of GAS again..
and I thought I would get passed this plug.

Wish list for TDM:

Universal Audio Distressor
Eventide Anthology
Cranesong Phoenix
Sony Trans Mod

ruudman
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Wish list for TDM:

Universal Audio Distressor
Eventide Anthology
Cranesong Phoenix
Sony Trans Mod

ruudman
what is a UA Distressor?

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
what is a UA Distressor?

Never been made, hence the word wishlist.
..Apart from the fact that I don't wish for such a plug anymore...

ruudman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search