The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
USB Mic !!?!
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Question USB Mic !!?!

Greetings,

not sure if this should be in the LOW END THEORY THREAD, but I'll add it here first.

"..Samson announced the Samson C01U, the first studio quality condenser microphone with a USB output for direct computer recording of vocals and acoustic instruments.."

Any idea how do we connect it to our favourite Neve pres?

how does it sound any way??
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'd imagine it's a digital mic, meaning the mic pre and A/D converter are inside the mic itself. No mic pre needed. How much? Do you have a link to this?
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

less than $80 !!

check out sweetwater
Old 24th June 2005
More cowbell!

yeah, i saw this about a month back---seemed like it might be nice for quick capture of environmental samples on location, depending on how it sounds, of course :-)
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

yeah, they were showcasing it at winter NAMM, i saw it there. ...i remember hearing some hip-hop 'producers' being like, oh, now this is the sh__.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslee
less than $80 !!

check out sweetwater
wow, sweetwater's updated website makes it look similar to musician's friend....
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

B.L.U.E.'s Snowball will be a USB mic as well.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

What if you need to do stereo, just use two of them into two USB ports?
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, you'll need to purchase our multiport USB hub for multitracking.

Just kidding. I think it's geared more to the one mic bedroom artist, etc...

Still, maybe it's cool for some stuff, who knows?
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

It`d be cool if you could get somewhere around SM57 quality with a USB mic.

I wonder if Blue will pull it off.

I`d buy a couple for sure.

You can`t get a whole lot more portable than that. No Pre`s necessary !
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Addict

i bet it kicks ass for yahoo chats
Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

here is some info i found on the zzounds.com site:

Product Description

The C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic is the first affordable studio condenser mic with a direct USB output.

For the first time ever, musicians who record music on computers have a simple, affordable way to capture high-quality vocal and acoustic instrument performances. Seamless integration was the idea, and it was obtained by creating a studio condenser microphone that can be plugged into any computer with no in/out boxes, no expensive computer pre-amps, just a USB cable.

The C01U condenser microphone is based on Samson's wildly successful C01. It features a 19mm internal shock mounted diaphragm with a cardioid pick up pattern ensuring pristine studio quality recordings.

The C01U works perfectly on any computer, Mac or PC, and with any DAW software program. It immediately solves a huge problem for users of many laptops, many of which have no other input method for audio devices.

Features:
Industry’s first affordable USB studio condenser mic

Plugs in directly to any computer with a USB input

Cardioid pickup pattern

Large 19mm diaphragm

Heavy gauge mesh grill

Smooth, flat frequency response

USB connection cable included
Old 27th June 2005
500 series nutjob

good for a garageband mic maybe?
Old 10th February 2006
I just bought one.

Considering the price, and the fact it's got a built in pre and A/D (only 16 bit), it doesn't sound bad at all.

It's fairly uncolored and the freq chart in the back of the 16 page manual looks pretty believable, with a rise to about 3 or 4 dB around 11 (it doesn't actually seem too bright, though, which is nice) and begins dropping around 95 'til it's 6 or 7 dB down at 50.

An important feature not mentioned in the sales lit is that it's got a digitally controlled analog input gain setting which can be controlled WITHOUT installing Samson's special mini-app. (That app would also give you a bass-roll off and phase reversal.) All I really cared about was the gain -- fairly important when all you have are 16 bits on the front end.

Anyhow, since I run a very lean machine, I was glad to not have to add anything to the boot profile.

(In Windows XP, you have to control the mic's analog gain stage from the Windows Audio Control Panel -- NOT the little volume/mixer in the systray! It appears from the manual that there's a similar ability to control the input gain from OS X'.)

Now... on that stereo thing... my first thought in Windows would be no. BUT the manual points out that if you have more than one C01U hooked up, they will show up in your audio devices list with numbered suffixes (as Win folks with multichannel audio devices have come to expect). They don't, OTOH, say anything about actually USING two mics simultaneously, I don't think.

I'm hazy on this ish, but it has been my thinking that Windows DAWs don't tend to like to have multiple devices with different clocks coming into them. (But wasn't Apple tricking out Logic to handle such a situation?)

Anyhow... I certainly wouldn't buy two of them on a hope and a prayer -- but I can tell you I'll certainly try it out if I bump into someone else with one.

One last small but nice thing -- like a lot of notebook folks, I have a mass of USB devices coming out of only two ports on the computer... a harddrive, a keyboard, a mouse. Normally, if I plug something like my digital camera in, it's gonna have to go in the computer, not the extension port on my keyboard. But the C01U was happy as a clam in the keyboard's hub.

What else?

It's a bit heavy, if you're trying to keep things super light. Then again, what else is out there save CompUSA USB mics made for telephony.

Oh... and I was glad to see that once I switched around from the WDM drivers I use with my MOTU i/f to MDE's for my notebooks internal audio, I could actually open up a 24 bit project in my DAW (Sonar) and overdub into it using the C01U, monitoring over my notebooks audio. (Couldn't start a 24 bit project though... no big deal, the project can always be 'converted' later to 24... but it's kind of odd, since there's no technical reason I can imagine that you shouldn't be able to start a 24 bit project, even if it is wasted overhead. Anyhow... I digress. I'll take it up with CW sometime.)

Important note: Because of the nature of USB, you won't be able to monitor what you're tracking in realtime on headphones. If you're overdubbing, you can hear your back tracks fine, and if your software is set up properly, everything should line up once it's recorded -- but the latencies involved in USB transport mean that trying to monitor the input causes a long 'slapback echo' that will drive you nuts. If you're the type of performer who needs to hear himself in the phones, say with reverb, when he's singing... you won't be happy.

But, for the most part, if you're singing overdubs or playing an acoustic or amplified instrument, you can probably do just fine partially removing one headphone to better hear your voice or instrument.
Old 23rd March 2006
Lives for gear

These mics are killer for podcasts. The ball shaped Blue mic is pretty awkward to talk into though and the shockmount is as expensive as the mic itself I believe but it looks real cool, especially if you're a Macer.
Old 26th March 2006
Jai guru deva om

I can tell you that the BLUE Snowball is worthy for scratch track type of stuff and that's about it. For podcasting it'd be fine too, but it certainly won't wow anybody with its sound.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search