The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elsatic Audio function in Samplitude - what is this?
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Addict

Elsatic Audio function in Samplitude - what is this?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has some info on the MAGIX Elastic Audio in Samplitude? Is it similar to using Melodyne? Where can I find out more about this function. I like using Melodyne, but it's a pain being a separate program. If there was a DAW that gave you access to Melodyne like editing simply by double clicking on the audio track in the arranger window, I would be a happy man!!!

Thanks

Best regards

Shaun Thomson
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

from the spec sheet

MAGIX Elastic Audio
you can now pitch-shift audio data as flexibly as MIDI data. The editor contains automatic pitch recognition routines as well as automatic pitch correction for monophonic audio material. For pitch automation, several different algorithms are available, including resampling algorithms.
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Can Samplitude elasctic audio do the same functions as Serato Pitch n' Time plug in for ProTools?

I need it to slow down tracks and simultaneously lower the pitch with the same percentage.

Basically a Digital Varispeed. Is this what elastic audio does?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

Hi,

it can do that, even if it is not precisely designed for that. The strong point is that it can automate the pitch without changing the speed, and that in contrary to other products also on "polyphonic" material, whereas autotune and melodyne work strictly on monophonic material only.

This has the side effect, that you can use it as a varispeed control using the realtime resample mode.

BTW, you can stretch/pitch audio in realtime already for years in samplitude/Sequoia on the object level. Elastic Audio now goes the decisive step further allowing you to automate pitch parameters sample exactly and/or "slice based" and allows microtonal editing like stripping/adding vibrato and so on.

Cheers,

Sebastian
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Question for Sea Bass

Thanks a bundle Sea Bass.

I guess in the Samplitude edit or "object window" there is a tool which allows you to just drag an audiofile out as long as you would like while being able to make it lower the pitch in a 1:1 ratio with the time stretch?
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

what's the sound like?

hi quality? or "interesting"?
Old 26th June 2005
Cakewalk Pro Audio (and now Sonar) had these capabilities since at least the late-90s. I honestly assumed all the leading DAWs had something like it.

In CW, you could change the tempo and have the audio 'stretch/shrink' appropriately, or transpose one or more MIDI and or audio tracks. Older pitch shifting algorithms were less than silky, mind you. But Sonar PE uses Prosoniq MPEX, which is reputedly very high quality. (And, though I've not really used it myself, their loop toolset/environment is widely touted for its flexibility and power.)
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Samplitude and Sequoia have had pitch and time shifting abilities for quite a long time now. The nice thing about Elastic audio is that it is more of a pitch automation kind of thing. You can also do the slick doubling tricks and other such stuff with it as well as set it to automatically detect pitch issues and auto tune. The nice thing, though, is you can autotune only small sections of a track and therefore not mess the audio up in the areas that don't need it.

I've used it extensively with my acapella choral editing where I need to gradually change pitch over a specific portion of a take so that I can edit to a new take where pitch is spot-on.

As far as sound goes- I find it is very program dependent. There are something like 5 different algorithms you can select for it to use. Some will work better than others. I keep PnT on my PT LE rig as well and sometimes it is better and sometimes it isn't.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search