The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools, what next?
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Pro Tools, what next?

Anyone know what they've got in store for Pro Tools 7, (or whatever they'll call it)?

Rene
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I heard they will call it pro tools 7.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Call yourself an insider!! pah
I heard they were so impressed with the Apple "big cat" OS theme that they were thinking of a "dog" theme for themselves, I like Pug, Pooch or Poodle.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm getting ready to jump ship, I REALLY don't care much for protools anymore.
I'm going to switch to using Logic 7, it kills PT...on all accounts.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Os 9 and PT 5.2! I didn't like most of the changes in 6 at all.

Any chance 7 could be a stand alone unit- Radar style to abandon Apple?
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Please let them finally do realtime fades and cliplevel automation.

This is the 21st century fro christsakes.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen
.. unless you need video which actually synchs correctly

Rail
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
.. unless you need video which actually synchs correctly

Rail

And then you get Nuendo.

heh
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol..yeah..right.. tutt

If you're talking midi, then yes, absolutely.
If you're talking audio, no way.

Logic is, and always has been, a midi sequencer with audio bolted on top. If you look at the development of it over the past few years, the program hasn't actually changed much apart from the addition of loads of effect plugins and softinstruments (some of which are arguably excellent). But audio editing has never been its strength.
Crossfades are a a bit of a pain to do, are limited in length (1000ms I believe), there's no sample accurate editing, and since logic is a music sequencer at heart, you're always locked to a musical timeline (i.e bars, beats, note values).
Yes, you can switch to smpte time, but I don't think it comes even close to something like PT in the audio editing department.
And like someone else said, let's not even get into syncing to picture, which is very basic at most.

I think the only package close to stealing PT's crown would be Nuendo (or samplitude, which I don't know much about). I own all 3 (Logic, Nuendo and Protoos) and ditched Logic to work with Nuendo. Although it doesn't have some of the midi bells and whistles that Logic has, it is fantastic for audio editing (realtime fades, editing to a musical grid or timebased grid, full delay compensation including external fx, better VST handling, proper surround support etc.) and I haven't really looked back since.

Then again, if Logic does what you need it to do for you, then all the more power to you. But saying it's better than PT period is really a bit rich

Cheerio,

Joris
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

....I'm going to switch to using Logic 7, it kills PT...on all accounts.....

Let's see, what's that "Logic Sucks" thread up to down here a ways...400+ posts?

I don't know anything about Logic (I'm on Nuendo) but I run into "Logic Sucks" topics all over the Internet on a daily basis...I mean r-e-a-l-l-y long complaint lists far longer than any other music software anywhere.

I keep looking for "Nuendo sucks" threads, but when I find one, it usually only has about five complaints and then the thread dies.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

To get back to point in case:

I would hope that the boys and girls at Digidesign finally get rid of the Double Pan Sliders on stereo tracks and combine them down to one (maybe with a divergance option?)...I know you can work around it - but its a hassle when automating the pan. When in linked mode I would love it if the automation would double over to the second pan (with option to apply inverse as needed)!!! I know its a small thing but its one of those things that just bug me about their software....

Raven11
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Pro Tools, what next?

A second mortgage
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
And then you get Nuendo.

heh

only eight posts before you pimped nuendo. slow day.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm hung on Protools........ heh
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce
only eight posts before you pimped nuendo. slow day.
that's hilarious. henchie's become a caricature of himself.
Old 25th June 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
I'm hung on Protools........ heh

May I offer you my condolences? heh
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Can u spell N E W H A R D W A R E and D S D.
It's pure speculation but everytime a friend of mine buys something from Digidesign within 6 months Digi upgrades the item he buys. stike
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
? Of course not ? The audio part of PT is superior and what about the TDM suite ? For an alround solution on composing and music production LP is pretty much OK, tho' !

Roger
Old 26th June 2005
[as noted below... it looks like I'm going seriously (and dangerously heh ) off topic here... but I do come back around in part 2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle

I keep looking for "Nuendo sucks" threads, but when I find one, it usually only has about five complaints and then the thread dies.
It's like the nice fella in another forum (talking about why he liked the Mac so much) said: "If you don't believe me, just google the phrase "microsoft sucks" sometime..."

So I did... that day "microsoft sucks" returned a whopping 869,000 hits. As one might expect for what they tell us is one of the 'most hated' major corporations.

But, of course, one number in a vaccuum doesn't really tell one anything.

So, of course, I googled "apple sucks"... my jaw dropped when I saw that Apple, at 1,110,000 hits, blew past Microsoft with a handsome 27% lead!

Now, that, right there is interesting.

But do a little more math... There are approximately 30 times as many Windows computers as Macintoshes...

If we adjust for the difference in marketshare -- there are over 38 times as many google hits on "Apple Sucks" as there are for "Microsoft Sucks."

[PS... I went back later that day and did "windows sucks" and "mac sucks"... there, unadusted for market share, Windows got the 'winning' number of 1,440,000 hits vs Mac's 1,040,000. But, again, if you adjust for marketshare you see the number of "Mac sucks" per Mac, it gets over 21 times the number of "mac sucks" hits "per capita."]

Of course, that's just fun with numbers and doesn't mean all that much...
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

theblue1 I think your off the topic here.
Old 26th June 2005
Getting right back on topic -- almost -- [addendum: on second thought, still completely off topic. Sorry!] here are some DAW scores on the google/sucking index...

But we face a problem here -- the phrase "logic sucks" returns over a million hits -- but very few of them are talking about Apple Logic.

To control for that, I added "midi" to the end of my search string -- which by and large eliminated spurious hits.

And, as an added control, I went back and replaced "midi' with "recording" --

[But I noticed a big diff in the number of hits depending on the order of the last two words when I was doing PT, so I went back and checked them all both ways. Don't know why it worked out with wide gaps on some and not on others, but it underlines the extremely dubious scientific value of this 'study'... heh ]

"cubase sucks midi" - 11,000 / "cubase midi sucks " - 11,000
"cubase midi sucks" - 9,440 / "cubase recording sucks" - 9,440

nuendo 'midi' - 540 / 541
nuendo 'recording' - 575 / 575

digital performer 'midi' - 6,450 / 12,100
digital performer 'recording' - 16,000 / 16,000

sonar 'midi' - 6,290 / 6,290
sonar 'recording ' - 8,890 / 8,880

samplitude 'midi' - 1,120 / 1,120
samplitude 'recording' - 1,120 / 1,120

logic 'midi' - 24,200 / 24,200
logic 'recording' - 79,000 / 78,900

pro tools 'midi' - 51,200 / 126,000
pro tools 'recording' - 93,800 / 201,000
Old 26th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
theblue1 I think your off the topic here.
It was a long thought... you just caught me in the middle of it.

[You're right, of course! heh ]
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Nut

ummm...forgive me but what does this have to do with whats next for ProTools? intersting though I must admit. Then again it also goes to show that there are way too many post out there about "XYZ software sucks" and "ABC software is better"

so really...whats next in store for ProTools? Hopefullly we all have some good ideas about this that the boys and girls at Digi will read and consider as opposed to comparing the sizes of our little binary balls....

I'll check back on this one when it gets productive .... an some more ideas come out of this intelligent bunch of slutz
Old 26th June 2005
No. You're completely right, actually. I don't know why on earth I thought it was pertinent at all.

Mea culpa.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

i just did the microsoft/apple sucks google and got the exact opposite results as you. pointless.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe we'll see some development in the panning dept, midi still needs development,
time/pitch stretching is probably an area they are looking at, a super-melodyne step,

I'd like to see some new ideas...
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

unless the studio business wants a new milkshake, it's pro tools for ever, like it or not. What other company has permiated the pro sumer and professional market???
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
unless the studio business wants a new milkshake, it's pro tools for ever, like it or not.
I do not agree to that claim for all the "standalone" studios. They can use whatever they want and have every freedom to choose from a platform they like. And these studios are by far the vast majority. And above that there are parts of the market where other products are the "standard" like in Mastering. Digi offers no Mastering functionality at all and thus other products share this valuable market.

For all other studios that need to network with partners, there are sufficient solutions using OMFI and AAF.

Cheers,

Sebastian
Old 27th June 2005
Motown legend

There has actually been a major revolution over the past three or four years. This is the drastic reduction in the cost of hard drives. This will lead to a lot of changes.

First, file compatibility is no longer an issue. There is no reason for people to not use any DAW application so long as it makes time stamping and consolidating audio files easy.

I look for much more specialized applications. When you can easily move files around, there is no advantage to bloated Swiss Army Knife audio applications. The principle of plug-in signal processing will expand to dedicated overdubbing, editing and mixing modules.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

i keep hearing persistent rumours to the effect that PT will abandon third party computers and offer dedicated workstaions with the CPU built in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search