The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac vs pc the final thread!
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Mac vs pc the final thread!

lol

sorry i couldnt resist

It kinda funny mac will be using intel chips.

So apparently pc has won the final battle in a way.

remember all the mac guys that would totally would dog on pc

Looks like all us pc guys were onto something!

ps my dad could kick your dads ass!

flame on
Old 23rd June 2005
well seti,

there is much mouthwar going on on the net, since Apple said they chagne to intelchips..

If Apple changes on Intel it's not shure (or I would say not possible) that they recompile their OS and progs on X86 architekture.. maybe it's an intel inside thing, but I don't think you can have MAC OS X for your PC x86 architecture..

that's my opinion..

nothing lasts forever..
Old 23rd June 2005
Mindreader

arse
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seti808
lol

sorry i couldnt resist

flame on

-So you think that Intel=PC?
Its a company that makes processors FOR computers my friend, and with intel, -Mac will shine even more...

The difference:

A Mac & PC has basically always had identical hardware.(Well lately anyway..)
The difference is that with PC you use Windows, and since PC have so many configurations & different brands, you must tweak it really hard to get it to work for professional use, get the right drivers etc
It has viruses, and therefore needs Antivirus...bla,bla..
But it can work really ok:-)

With Mac you have one Configuration AND you have MAC OS X!
(Not Windows, not any viruses at all etc.)
And you have fantastic software that goes along with it with the same kind of layout (iMovie, iTunes, iDvd...)

When you work with Mac OS X, you feel you are working with an OS that suits our current time:2005.
With windows, even though XP got a new make up, you still basically have the same feeling, and work flow as with Windows 95!

But this is all a mather of personal reference as we all know.
I made the switch to Mac 2 years ago, and for me it was a move I don`t regret!

When you say;"Looks like all us pc guys were onto something!"......??!??
on to what???
I think you are missing the point.

Do your self a favour and try out a Mac, then you know what the difference is:-)

(Hey Henchman, this is a PERFECT thread for you )

Peace
KK
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I was shopping for a LaCie firewire drive, i went to a Mac store, they had those shiny new Macs, i couldn´t resist to ask the price.
The most powerfull a single CPU with 256mb of RAM was about 2000 € , i thougth to myself: "they got to be kidding" , I got a ADK laptop with a Centrino Sonoma 2,4, with 2 hhd and 1000mb RAM for a little more or perhaps the same price.
this Laptop blows away any desktop dual or not by AMD, Intel or MAC any given day of the week.
And yes if there was a war you have lost it a long time ago, even S. Jobs has acknowlledge it.

nevertheless being OSX a Real time OS nobody has explained me why the same audiocard on OSX has less performance than in XP, you can´t drop the latencies as low as a PC dude can, why???

BTW when you buy a VAIO you got too a fantastic OS bundled, with fantastic apps from Adobe, Sony, MS, etc. bundled and they seem a smarter buy than Mac, Albeit prices are quite the same and i resent the fact that i don´t want those apps installed unless i ask for it, plus you have online maintenance and troubleshoot for free... that´s a real cool deal on my view.
Old 23rd June 2005
you forgot something midiman123..

you have REAL MULTITASKING WITH OSX..

*I work on PC, AMD*
Old 23rd June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB
arse
double arse
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag
I was shopping for a LaCie firewire drive, i went to a Mac store, they had those shiny new Macs, i couldn´t resist to ask the price.
The most powerfull a single CPU with 256mb of RAM was about 2000 € , i thougth to myself: "they got to be kidding" , I got a ADK laptop with a Centrino Sonoma 2,4, with 2 hhd and 1000mb RAM for a little more or perhaps the same price.
this Laptop blows away any desktop dual or not by AMD, Intel or MAC any given day of the week.
And yes if there was a war you have lost it a long time ago, even S. Jobs has acknowlledge it.

nevertheless being OSX a Real time OS nobody has explained me why the same audiocard on OSX has less performance than in XP, you can´t drop the latencies as low as a PC dude can, why???

BTW when you buy a VAIO you got too a fantastic OS bundled, with fantastic apps from Adobe, Sony, MS, etc. bundled and they seem a smarter buy than Mac, Albeit prices are quite the same and i resent the fact that i don´t want those apps installed unless i ask for it, plus you have online maintenance and troubleshoot for free... that´s a real cool deal on my view.
Well then...,there you go stag:

In light of the new evidence brought in to this thread, We declare PC as the real winner!!
-And I guess that makes all you PC guys....Winners, and I cant understand why I left the PC camp to start with!

What was I thinking of?!

Now I must go back to recording
-Have a beautiful day thumbsup

KK
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Head

MAC / PC ******* Chevy / Ford
I just want to turn it on and it work! No being held hostage to hardware. No learning to be a mechanic. Not be afraid of becoming out dated in 6 months. Make it universal to all forms of outboard gear (Digital or Analog). Make it fit my freekin' rack or at the very least my [email protected] desk! Build that and I'll buy 2!
tutt
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman123
Well then...,there you go stag:

In light of the new evidence brought in to this thread, We declare PC as the real winner!!
-And I guess that makes all you PC guys....Winners, and I cant understand why I left the PC camp to start with!

What was I thinking of?!

Now I must go back to recording
-Have a beautiful day thumbsup

KK
I think you got the point. Who cares about OS, what really matter is the noise they make.

Nice day.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey, look at it this way................in a few you will be able to have a dual boot computer............on one side Windows XP 3002 and the other side OS XIV heh

"Best of Both Worlds" then, you clients can choose what platform they wanna' work on.

when that time comes i guess we'll be fighting over which O.S. goes on the 1st Partition
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
Hey, look at it this way................in a few you will be able to have a dual boot computer............on one side Windows XP 3002 and the other side OS XIV heh

"Best of Both Worlds" then, you clients can choose what platform they wanna' work on.

when that time comes i guess we'll be fighting over which O.S. goes on the 1st Partition
That's actually the best part. That I will be able to have a computer that I can run OS X, and Windows XP. At the end, it's the best for the consumer!!!
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Well....

as far as I know, PPC processors are a more powerful design per clock cycle, compared to the x86 architecture Intel uses.
BUT unfortunately due to lack of funding, interest its (PPC) progress has been lagging.

Compared to the (in some ways inferior) x86 chips the PPC chips are running slower and hotter.

After being letdown by PPC chipmakers over and over. Apple decided step to the chip supplier that has the most reliable record and will have the strongest foreseeable yield .

They chose intel and frankly I can't blame 'em.
All this hassle w/ motorola and now IBM has given Apple a bad rep beyond their power to rectify.

Even though I will miss the idea of the PowerPC processors, I am looking forward to the amazing new products Apple are going to introduce!
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

On all the discussions on this subject there is one tiny little detail that is not brougth up by both parts: PCI-e.
Not even mr. Jobs say anything about it, could it be that Mac was rally forced to move to adopt the current PCI design, so developers could bring us more powerfull DSP cards, Audio interfaces and on.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Something occured to me; if you use a Windows computer for recording, Apple gives you something: a choice.

You don't HAVE to use Windows, but you choose to.

(Works the same the other way, too!)

Now, everyone get back to work! This is a useless discussion which can only lead to people brawling out back!
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

sorry i couldnt resist

flame on
Yes, and the world will finally get to see you really can build a great computer using intel chips. heh

This whole discussion is stupid, a Mac is still going to feel and behave much like a Mac and PC's will still be behind the technological curve (today by as much as 18 months according to Walter Mossberg) as Microsoft's resources will continue to be sucked up by security concerns.

Ed
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

sorry i couldnt resist

flame on

i really don't know what war or battle you've won... who really cares what chips are in the computer as long as it works and does what i need it to do.. the only advantage i personally feel that pc people have is a price issue.. but as they say you get what you pay for.. huh? however, in the long run, if you can run osx and windows on a mac and only a crippled windows on a pc... whose got the upper hand.. and yes they have said this will be possible... are you doing to buy a mac at this point? wouldn't you love to be able to go from sound forge or wavelab and then use final cut or vice versa? guess what.. your pc won't be able to do it... guess i'll see in line at the apple store..
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure the red sox will win a couple of more world series before we've seen the 'final' mac vs pc thread

Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
I'm pretty sure the red sox will win a couple of more world series before we've seen the 'final' mac vs pc thread

Bullseye................

PC both computers have been doing their thang equally to me for the past few years. Times have changed.........so take the "MAC RULES" signs down. If a baby start to feed on one type of milk.......it'll be very hard to get him/she to feed on another.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bullseye................

PC both computers have been doing their thang equally to me for the past few years. Times have changed.........so take the "MAC RULES" signs down. If a baby start to feed on one type of milk.......it'll be very hard to get him/she to feed on another even though both have the same nutrition, but just taste differently.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987
i really don't know what war or battle you've won... who really cares what chips are in the computer as long as it works and does what i need it to do.. the only advantage i personally feel that pc people have is a price issue.. but as they say you get what you pay for.. huh? however, in the long run, if you can run osx and windows on a mac and only a crippled windows on a pc... whose got the upper hand.. and yes they have said this will be possible... are you doing to buy a mac at this point? wouldn't you love to be able to go from sound forge or wavelab and then use final cut or vice versa? guess what.. your pc won't be able to do it... guess i'll see in line at the apple store..
The price issue is something i thougth Mac users really couldn´t overcome, there are empty PC cases costing as much as a Mac, of course they weigth a ton, and the pute can run completely fanless, or a P4 EE CPU costing as much as three Mac mini.
Not to mention dedicated PC DAW´s , laptops, dual and quad combos that really put PC´s on another dimension.

BTW when was Jobs lying?
Nevertheless i will miss this moments, from now on those "figths" have no reason to be, unless you run a scary AMD machine.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
... since PC have so many configurations & different brands, you must tweak it really hard to get it to work for professional use, get the right drivers etc...
At least you CAN tweak the system!... I use OSuX, and I find it has tremendous problems with file management, disk access, graphics routines. I cannot optomize the OS for my particular application....

Quote:
When you work with Mac OS X, you feel you are working with an OS that suits our current time:2005.
Peace
KK
Sure does: power corruption and lies!!
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hey Chris, can we never allow anymore Mac Vs. PC threads........
Unless there are 2 naked girls, mud-wrestling each other and yelling..."Mac...no...PC...no....Mac...no...PC.."

Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Nut

I use both everyday (and I mean both for audio, not one for audio and one for accounting).

They both work. Really well, infact. They are different, but they both work. This debate should have died 2 years ago. It's all a pissing match from here on out. They both work.

Oh, and I think the real story is not that Apple and intel are getting chummy, but the fact that Microsoft and intel are not nearly as close as they once were.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, and I think the real story is not that Apple and intel are getting chummy, but the fact that Microsoft and intel are not nearly as close as they once were.
yeeeeeeeeeeeep! DOn't think most folks know the whole story.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Im not sure if this is relivant but as Juelz Sanatana (DIPSET) said, "The mac is immaculate"
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

What's your point? a G5 use IBM Microprocessor.

Old 28th June 2005
Quote:
-So you think that Intel=PC?
Its a company that makes processors FOR computers my friend, and with intel, -Mac will shine even more...

The difference:

A Mac & PC has basically always had identical hardware.(Well lately anyway..)
The difference is that with PC you use Windows, and since PC have so many configurations & different brands, you must tweak it really hard to get it to work for professional use, get the right drivers etc
It has viruses, and therefore needs Antivirus...bla,bla..
But it can work really ok:-)

With Mac you have one Configuration AND you have MAC OS X!
(Not Windows, not any viruses at all etc.)
And you have fantastic software that goes along with it with the same kind of layout (iMovie, iTunes, iDvd...)

With windows, even though XP got a new make up, you still basically have the same feeling, and work flow as with Windows 95!

But this is all a mather of personal reference as we all know.
I made the switch to Mac 2 years ago, and for me it was a move I don`t regret!

When you say;"Looks like all us pc guys were onto something!"......??!??
on to what???
I think you are missing the point.

Do your self a favour and try out a Mac, then you know what the difference is:-)

(Hey Henchman, this is a PERFECT thread for you )

Peace
KK

I agree about the OS and the processor. The Mac experience will not change qualitatively because of the change in CPU families.

I really don't think anyone who is committed to the Mac platform should have any alarm about the capabilities of the processor in supporting the Mac OS (with properly ported apps, of course). The Pentium M family is arguably one of the most advanced chip families out there. It is second in processing efficiency among current and recent processors only to the Itanium, running lazy circles around both its Pentium 4 cousin and the nearly identically efficient PowerPC G5 chip.

On to the burning hot topic of this thread...

I have to say that it makes much more sense for me to own and use Windows on a generic pc than owning a Mac. I feel -- for me -- it's a better investment of money and time. But I can easily see how others would feel the opposite. I'm not blind to the charms of the Mac.

I read about Macs and Mac issues a lot. More, it seems, than many Mac users. But, because of that, I see a lot of issues that some evangelist types seem to have a blind spot for. Folks are fond of saying that, because Apple controls the Mac completely, that it's a well integrated machine with few problems.

But when there are problems, your luck may be mixed. Apple finally shipped a very reasonably priced replacement fan for noisy dual G4's, but for many months people with $4-5K towers were clamoring for a response from Apple. Current G5's, as is becoming more widely known, have serious issues with peripheral controllers on the mobos, resulting in disappointing disk performance as well as conflicts between Firewire devices and PCI cards when contending for system memory.

OS X, with its vaunted UNIX roots, is also a compromise. As many of us know, wrapped inside of the technically advanced GUI and the multimedia layers developed by Apple is the open source Darwin core. Many of us also know that inside Darwin is the Mach core. Considerably fewer, it seems, know that while the Mach core has a fairly advanced microkernal architecture, the Darwin layer has a monolithic layer. While Mach is designed around the notion of multiple independent software entities intercommunicating as needed, Darwin forces calls to the Mach core to be queued up for serial access.

In a single user environment, with software optimized for the particulars of the current Mac OS, this doesn't become much of an issue.

In a multi-user environment, or any use where many processes are trying to access the OS core simultaneously, it can lead to huge processing backlogs. This is apparently reflected in the shockingly bad performance of OS X Server vis a vis Linux running typical server apps like Apache and MySQL. OS X Server can take as much as 10 times longer than Linux on the same machine when loads approximate 50 simultaneous users.

[Still, OS X is a huge leap forward for the Mac. The previous two updates to OS X brought MIDI and multichannel audio layers and a plugin API to the Mac OS for the first time. (Windows, by contrast, had had MIDI, multichannel audio and plugin layers since '96.)]

Now, should any of that dissuade someone who really prefers the Mac experience?

Absolutely not.

But it is part of what goes into my thinking on this subject.

[I started becoming familiar with the Mac world in the late 90s when I thought I ought to make sure I wasn't sabotaging myself by recording on a Windows PC (which I started doing in '96 with my first 8/8 channel DAW). Once I started learning more about the real strengths and weakensses of the Mac platform, I became fascinated by some of the popular misconceptions about it.]
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

I was just joking but this seems to have struck a nerve lol
Old 29th June 2005
Motown legend

The thing everybody seems to miss is that a Mac hasn't been a Mac since the introduction of the Power PC and the Intel chips haven't been traditional PCs since the introduction of the Pentium. BOTH are RISC under the hood and ALL the rest of the yap about them is marketing bull$h!t.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search