The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Success With Motu OSX Drivers?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Any Success With Motu OSX Drivers?

I've heard both horror and success stories but i trust you guys more than most other web boards so i want to know what the real deal is.

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2003
Gear Addict

the verdict is still out

I've been using the newest drivers, and they behave MUCH better than the first ones. Syncing to word clock works now and I haven't gotten any MOTU related kernel panics.
Old 1st April 2003
Gear Addict

Helped my studio neighbours installing X drivers for their 2408MkII.
When quiting iTunes I get a nasty feedback that could wake up the dead.

Apart from that things seem to run stable. Logic X performance is a bit
weaker than OS9, but as I see it, X.2 should have been X.0. Perhaps X.3
will be a bit snappier in the GUI and raw performance.

Jens
Old 1st April 2003
Mindreader

Running osx drivers for 2408 here.

I get kernel panics about one a day.

Motu know about the issues and seem keen to iron them out, they were onto me pretty quick when I told them.
Old 3rd April 2003
High End Moderator

Hey guys

I haven't had time to even check into OSX, but it looks like I'm up for a new(er) MAC soon. So, if it's not too complicated, could somebody tell me what are "kernel panics"

Thanx.
Old 3rd April 2003
Mindreader

Kernel panics are system level (deep man) crashes which only happen when something VERY BAD happens.

The crashes you get with a kernel panic are like the 'old' ones you get in OS 9, you know, whole machine freezes, bomb appears, 'try and save your song' ding-ding-ding, etc. The difference being that you don't get those bombs, you get a page full of nonsense across everything, the computer trying to tell you want went wrong to cause this 'critical error'.

The reason this is so exasperating is because these are actually the only crashes you can really get in OSX. When an application (extremely rarely) crashes in X, you simply force-quit the application and relaunch it without having to re-boot the machine leaving all your other apps that are running alone. You can even force-quit the finder if you like to reboot it, OS X doesn't care.

Kernel panics happen when the unix subsytem really can't get what's going on. It is pretty much always because a third party piece of software (such as a driver) has got a critical error in it that some programmer hasn't yet managed to eliminate from his code.

Most people I know who have tried the Mark Of The Unicorn driver for the 2408 have experienced kernel panics since they installed it, albeit rarely.

As this driver was written fairly recently I should imagine this problem will be sorted pretty soon because Digital Performer is going to be using the same drivers and MOTU want their products to work flawlessly.

I get about one kernel panic a day, pessimistically. Probably 4 a week.

Saying that though, some positives:

It's the only crash I've ever had in OSX after 1 year

1 crash a day is fewer than I've ever had on any platform

In OSX you don't get stupid extension clashes (15 years of system extension clashes thank God THAT'S over)...so...none of that 'different extension sets for different apps' nonsense: I use one setup for everything now.

I can't 'crash' OSX any other way. I've tried. I've started a complicated song running, started up iTunes playing a different song through the same unit, browsed the web, downloaded a file, played a game and printed a document all at the same time and it didn't care.

I like it. Things are really starting to get exciting on this platform.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search