The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me with specs for putting together a PC for NUENDO!
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Addict

Help me with specs for putting together a PC for NUENDO!

Hey everybody. My friend is helping put together a PC, these are the pieces he is recommending:

AMD Athlon64 FX-53 2.4GHz
ASUS A8V Deluxe
2GB DDR400 4 x 512MB
Matrox P750 64MB Triple Head VGA
Plextor 12x DVD /- RW
No 2nd Optical Drive
80GB EIDE (Primary Drive)
200GB SATA (Audio Drive)
Windows XP Home
EverCase 4U Rackmount Server
The Silent Treatment 450

What do you all think about these specs?
Thanks.

Spiros.
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Nut

For Nuendo, it would be silly not to go with the new AMD dualcores. The Athlon 64 X2 4600 and the Athlon 64 FX 53 are the same price, but the X2 will be much faster for Nuendo. The configration you friend recomends is a strong gaming machine, but for music the X2 will be better.

See here
http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

and here
http://cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.p...f3b64e6539a937

for more info.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Buy a laptop from ADK, they got some kickass machines.
After reading the benchmarks at cubase.net , definitly buy something with a centrino Sonoma, it can keep up with a Dual AMD, boy, am i happy to know that???
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

eskay...
just my 2 cents fwiw. ....
1. try and run timing tests on various platforms with your chosen audio software.
for example - i record a 3 minute audio track then time using a watch how long a given process like eq or noise gating takes on a track. also - FOR ME - a most important test is timing how long a 24 track mixdown takes.
In my opinion mixdown is where the rubber hits the road.
The faster i can do mixdown - the less waiting around.
you could perform this test on laptops, desktops, single core, dual core, amd, intel etc. particularly ive found the 24 track mixdown test gives a good indication of performance processing power.
My local retailers dont yet have dual core in. so i have not had a chance to test yet.
2. focus on memory performance. if you google - youll see different memory brands from cheap to more expensive. if your local retailer will let you - you might want to test out generic versus more advanced memory brands and see performance impacts in running dsp tests.
3. hard drives. larger hd cache is better. youll also find win should boot faster.
i would also benchmark the new 16mb cache hd's and see if you get a lot smoother performance. yes - they are expensive though.
4. if a laptop - ensure its going to be compatible with any firewire/usb add on you choose for sound. and a way to speed up a laptop .....eg...amd 64 laptop is to put in a replacement 7200 rpm drive for the slowish internal drive.
5.for desktops - ensure the power supply is man enough to handle growth as you add to the system and doesnt wimp out and cause the processor problems.
6. i would suggest respectfully you dont use this machione for anything other than daw work. this way your not bogged down by firewalls etc etc as well as net high speed cards in pci slots that could impact the performance of a sound card in a pci slot. What i do is have nothin in a pci slot except the sound card.
peace.
ps....i forgot to mention. couple of other points.
when testing out a system, outside of your audio software - in other applications ; watch how quickly dialogs appear. on the new breed of amd 64 machines and ilk - they should be instantaneous. but ive noticed some retailers dont optimise the amd systems they are selling ! For example - one of the things i do thats basic is see how quickly xp control panel appears. is there a lag for example ? This is a good indication if a system is set up properly or might be using some slower components. Even though the amd 64 processor is fast - be aware certain manufacturers might choose to use slower components in some areas. also hook up a number of usb devices if you can - and if the retailer will let you, and run tests again to ensure no usb glitches.
hth.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Just go to the NUENDO hardware forum, there is a massive wealth of infoirmation here.

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewf...a8e2b067f9c4ae
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay
Hey everybody. My friend is helping put together a PC, these are the pieces he is recommending:
Hi,

That looks pretty good. I would also get some removable hard drive bays on the front of your pc. These things are so useful and very cheap.
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Nut

AMD Dualcores Overclock Well

Apparently the new AMD X2 overclocks well too.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2452&p=7

anandtech descibes it as a "must have" if you're doing media encoding.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

Eskay,

DO NOT make the mistake of getting a single core cpu (AMD Athlon64 FX-53 2.4GHz) unless gaming is a higher priority than Nuendo. Too many people are getting awesome results with the AMD dual cores (you're basically getting two FX-53s in one chip) we're talking about roughly doubling the performance. The dual cores even beat the mighty Opteron but at a much lower price.

AMD 64X2 (4200+, 4400+, 4600+, 4800+) on the Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with the VIA KT800 Pro chipset is a combination that have worked for people.

See her
http://cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.p...6dc53cd6c0a037

Remember Cubase and Nuendo uses the exact same code, just a few differences in features. So basically what works in one program also works in the other.

Also tons of info on the Nuendo hardware forum
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewfor...b4680c8197d4df
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

No XP Home - Get the XP Pro so that if you need to charge the settings later it will let you. If you are going to go with these fast and expesive chipsets ... get a real graphics card... especially if you are going to run more than one head ... get PCI-X for the bandwidth on the BUSES (eventhough it is useless now, but you save on the long haul). Don't get locked into ASUS, it a good board, but it's biggest draw is that it was a good deal for the money and it is easy to set-up. Check out boards from MSI and Soultek, see how much you are willing to spend and pick one that suits you.

Something else you might want to consider ... that is probaby going to be more important that the CPU speed on Video / Audio production machine .....

you can't get by on 1 big disk SATA 7200 or whatever .... set up a raid array for better access times and --> data in (the CPU is not going to be the bottle neck if you set up the hardware correctly it should not be that busy) Dual Core is the way to go for the future... (if you want to do serrious work forget laptops, unless you have to take it with you ....)

Just for giggles: the FX55 clocked in only second to a Dual 2.5 GHz G5 (faster than dual Xenon and Opt for DAC and audio effects processing ... But the new dual cores should be better if you can get a few more clock cycles out of them .. your milage will vary, but ?

A harware MPEG Board and a Good sound card onboard with decent converters / sound interface ext (which if you going to PCI-X only MB you'll have to wait for).
and a 250+250 RAID array will get more speed for you than the difference in CPU power will. Drop the EIDE drives ... if your going to spend the money then waste it on low bandwith drives. example aray that would not cost you too much

A good SATA RAID array controller (beware some onboard RAID uses CPU and shared memory not what you want in a studio computer. Do your homework here)

120 GB+120 GB Raid 1 for OS and APPS (some speed gain not much - But Fault Tolerance Might Save you a**)

250 GB+250 GB Raid 0 for AUDIO drive (big speed gains in access times and read times especailly for mutliple access to large files simoultaenously, which is what you would be doing a 24 track mix --> 1 Master)

Last edited by zabour; 24th June 2005 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: keep forgetting things (and I Can't Spell)
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Go to my thread on Nuendo.com

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU CPU Cooler
Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5306

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5022

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5270
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

Talking SUPER THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!

Thank you all for giving me such great information!!!!!
This site truly rocks!!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search