The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What was Mackie thinking, when they totally changed the color scheme on the new MUC?
Old 22nd June 2005
  #1
Gear Addict
 

What was Mackie thinking, when they totally changed the color scheme on the new MUC?

Why would they sell hundreds of thousands of these expandable units and then turn around and change the color scheme so drastically that it looks like complete **** if you place a new one next to the previous version?

I'm griping, I know, but I don't understand. You can't generate consumer loyalty like that. Can anyone fill me in? Tech support and the parts department at mackie couldn't give me an answer. tutt
Old 22nd June 2005
  #2
I hear you.

But, if there are hundreds of thousands of them there must be some in good shape available second hand. I know, I know. But at least it's something...
Old 22nd June 2005
  #3
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

my MC and exp have been mismatched from the start. i tried to order a matching case [even the bottom handrest and top LCD platic pieces are different, one grey, the other black....tried to get one or the other on that one too]

now i have seem to broken a fader... wondering how easy/expensive this is gonna be to get fixed [meaning if i can just have them send me a new fader and i pop it in or not]
Old 22nd June 2005
  #4
Gear Addict
 

a repalacement fader shouldn't be a problem at all. Call Mackie directly and speak with the guys in parts.

As far as the arm rest and display areas? Mackie charges for the replacements and that still leaves the fader area a different color.

And yes, I'm way ahead of you. I just picked up a used XT in the old colr, but they aint necessarily easy to find. People aren't that eager to give them up.
Old 22nd June 2005
  #5
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

yeah, the armrest/lcd area arent that expensive. sweetwater was supposed to order them for me but lost communication on it [from my end, and then theirs... no fault] but i was planning on customizing these anyway in their own enclosure.... basically so i can get the units closer together to each other and have a semi-seamless gap [i could build a giant plate for no gaps and load in the electronics from the bottom]

i like these controllers... for hte money. sure beats having to shovel out tons of dough for an icon/baby even though i wouldnt mind having either of those if i ran PT. i wish DP would take use of the C4 addition to the family however.
Old 22nd June 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
I totall agree! What pisses me off the most is that I have one of the original Mackie Controls... so it has the grey coloring underneath the faders! None of the XT's have that... and finding 2 or more of the old ones is almost impossible!

Grrrrrr!! I love my Mackie Controls... but man.... what gives????
Old 22nd June 2005
  #7
Gear Addict
 

I agree. I love my MC and XT too, but WTF? It's like walking out the door with frickin checkered pants and a striped shirt. And no one(with any pull)gives a ****.
Old 23rd June 2005
  #8
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
I totall agree! What pisses me off the most is that I have one of the original Mackie Controls... so it has the grey coloring underneath the faders! None of the XT's have that... and finding 2 or more of the old ones is almost impossible!

Grrrrrr!! I love my Mackie Controls... but man.... what gives????
i have a XT with grey... ill trade you for one w/o the grey.

i actually couldnt get one with black like my MC from sweetwater or mackie... they said they didnt make them that way even though every ad from both mackie and sweetwater showed them w/ black under the faders.
Attached Thumbnails
What was Mackie thinking, when they totally changed the color scheme on the new MUC?-img_0105.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
i have a XT with grey... ill trade you for one w/o the grey.

i actually couldnt get one with black like my MC from sweetwater or mackie... they said they didnt make them that way even though every ad from both mackie and sweetwater showed them w/ black under the faders.

Whoa! I was told just the opposite! Yikes. Well... I have some on order... but there is "very low supply" right now. When they come in... if they are black.. I will totally take you up on that trade.

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2005
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

I have the Logic Control and XT's they all have the gray plastics.

Personally I am happy Mackie has changed to the grey plastics instead of the black plastics.

Means the C4 will work great for me and match.
Old 27th June 2005
  #11
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

i dont like the grey plastics but am in the midst of a trade on my XT to get the black under the faders. im going to customize a housing for these so the grey parts will get tossed when i do. the screen on the metal is more important to me [even though the demarkations arent accurate at all]
Old 29th June 2005
  #12
Gear Maniac
Hi there everyone. My name is Dan Steinberg and I am a product manager here at Mackie for many of the recording and digital audio products. I noticed this thread and wanted to take the opportunity to post some info on the color mis-matching issues.

1-To answer the question about why the colors changed, it had to do with some legal issues, believe it or not. I can't get into detail but basically, when we started making what's now known as the "Mackie Control Universal" (the unit that can control various DAWs as well as emulate a Logic Control or a HUI), we needed to start making it with light grey armrests and LCD hoods.

2-In order to make things more consistent from now on, for anyone buying a new setup and starting from scratch, we have made arrangements for all newly built C4s and all newly built extenders to also have new ID that matches the current ID of the Mackie Control. So a new customer who buys new units WILL be able to make a setup where everything matches.

To show what this might look like, I've attached a photo of the three units sitting next to each other on my desk. This is what the setup would like for a new customer buying all the pieces today, from newly available stock.

3-That leaves the issue for faithful customers who have earlier units and need to get stuff matching:

-If you have a unit with dark grey armrests/LCD hoods and need to get light ones, call our parts department, where they still have at least a few units left of the light grey plastic armrests/hoods. Ask for Leslie Faretty, who is in charge and will know about this kind of thing. She can also sell you any overlays you might need that did not come in the box.

As a longer term goal, we are hoping to move this type of purchase from a parts department thing to more of an online ordering thing, through our "mackiemart" online store where you can already buy things like mixer bags and D8B console accessories. For anyone who needs to buy a replacement plastic piece, we want you to be able to do it online with a few mouse clicks, and be able to do so at 2 a.m. if that's when it's convenient.

-If you have a unit with light grey armrests/hoods and need to get plastics for the darker ones, that's where it gets tougher. I looked into this and apparently we do not have any extra sets of those. Making more of them would be prohibitive because we are not making them anyway for new units, like we are with the light grey ones. I wish I had a better answer for that as I know some of you need spare dark grey plastics, but unfortunately the whole used unit scrounging might be the only option at this point. I wish there was a better answer, honest.

So, I am hoping that some of this info helps clear some things up. I know it might not be exactly all of the answers everyone is looking for, but I did want to at least make clear that at least from this point onward, the ID of all three units is matching and consistent.

Also, to address the statment of "I wish Digital Performer would take use of the C4 addition to the family however", we've recently sent a sample C4 unit to MOTU and they are in the process of learning our software development kit so that DP can eventually support the C4. But, they probably have to prioritize this over many other tasks and are a small company so remember to call them up and say you want C4 support in DP and you want it now!" It's important for MOTU to know their customers want this. Right now the C4 works with Logic 7, Sonar 3 and 4, and Tracktion 2, so it's got some catching up to do, but it really is in the hands of the DAW authors. We make the SDK available to anyonw who wants it.

p.s.: If anyone has any questions about a lot of our newer products including the Onyx mixers and their Firewire card, the 800R mic preamp, the big knob, etc, feel free to post on the Macie.com forums, where I answer questions fairly regularly.

Thanks very much!
Attached Thumbnails
What was Mackie thinking, when they totally changed the color scheme on the new MUC?-mcu-family.jpg  
Old 30th June 2005
  #13
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

okay, since you are here can you settle this? i asked apple on a demo they were doing of FCP if they could make it work with the MC and they replied it was MACKIE's deal... not theirs to do so. i didnt think that sounded correct. i heard they implemented the MC for some of FCP but not sure as to what yet.... havent upgraded yet. hopefully it will work with the video portion and not just the audio part...


also, who do i call about a fader that i think i broke? the unit tipped over and the first fader hit a cymbal stand... and since then the fader doesnt work.

i just traded out my XT unit with a color matching case from someone else so the unit is pretty easy to work on [i literally changed over the guts from each.... his was v1.0.2? and mine is v2.1.0 and i had a newer chip inside so i just switched everything out], guess i shoulda taken pictures. at least my setup is the same now across the "board" [ptp]
Old 30th June 2005
  #14
Gear Maniac
The Mackie Control does indeed now work with Finalcut Pro 5 (not earlier versions) as well as the new Soundtrack Pro, so you can control both video and audio. This was announced at the most recent NAB show and you can read our press release about it here

http://www.mackie.com/press/2005/04_27_05_MCU.html

as well as see that the Finalcut and Soundtrack are listed on our MCU product page's list of supported applications.

At the NAB show, Apple had many, many MCUs controlling Finalcut Pro 5 and Soundtrack Pro, so we know it's working. And Finalcut Studio 5 is available now so there's nothing stopping anyone from having at it.

One thing to mention is that Apple was not interested in making an overlay for the MCU, since they felt the default silkscreens worked quite weel for the implentation they did. This was also the case for Propellorhead Reason, which also now works with the MCU.

For anyone who needs a straight answer on which programs do and do not work with the MCU or C4, the definitive info can always be found on the product pages at

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/index.html

and

http://www.mackie.com/products/c4/index.html

and I would tend to say that you should check there to get info straight from the horse's mouth.

Despite their best intentions, the sales reps of the different software companies are not always that up to date with the reality of what's going on.

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2005
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steinberg
Hi there everyone. My name is Dan Steinberg and I am a product manager here at Mackie for many of the recording and digital audio products. I noticed this thread and wanted to take the opportunity to post some info on the color mis-matching issues.

1-To answer the question about why the colors changed, it had to do with some legal issues, believe it or not. I can't get into detail but basically, when we started making what's now known as the "Mackie Control Universal" (the unit that can control various DAWs as well as emulate a Logic Control or a HUI), we needed to start making it with light grey armrests and LCD hoods.

2-In order to make things more consistent from now on, for anyone buying a new setup and starting from scratch, we have made arrangements for all newly built C4s and all newly built extenders to also have new ID that matches the current ID of the Mackie Control. So a new customer who buys new units WILL be able to make a setup where everything matches.

To show what this might look like, I've attached a photo of the three units sitting next to each other on my desk. This is what the setup would like for a new customer buying all the pieces today, from newly available stock.

3-That leaves the issue for faithful customers who have earlier units and need to get stuff matching:

-If you have a unit with dark grey armrests/LCD hoods and need to get light ones, call our parts department, where they still have at least a few units left of the light grey plastic armrests/hoods. Ask for Leslie Faretty, who is in charge and will know about this kind of thing. She can also sell you any overlays you might need that did not come in the box.

As a longer term goal, we are hoping to move this type of purchase from a parts department thing to more of an online ordering thing, through our "mackiemart" online store where you can already buy things like mixer bags and D8B console accessories. For anyone who needs to buy a replacement plastic piece, we want you to be able to do it online with a few mouse clicks, and be able to do so at 2 a.m. if that's when it's convenient.

-If you have a unit with light grey armrests/hoods and need to get plastics for the darker ones, that's where it gets tougher. I looked into this and apparently we do not have any extra sets of those. Making more of them would be prohibitive because we are not making them anyway for new units, like we are with the light grey ones. I wish I had a better answer for that as I know some of you need spare dark grey plastics, but unfortunately the whole used unit scrounging might be the only option at this point. I wish there was a better answer, honest.

So, I am hoping that some of this info helps clear some things up. I know it might not be exactly all of the answers everyone is looking for, but I did want to at least make clear that at least from this point onward, the ID of all three units is matching and consistent.

Also, to address the statment of "I wish Digital Performer would take use of the C4 addition to the family however", we've recently sent a sample C4 unit to MOTU and they are in the process of learning our software development kit so that DP can eventually support the C4. But, they probably have to prioritize this over many other tasks and are a small company so remember to call them up and say you want C4 support in DP and you want it now!" It's important for MOTU to know their customers want this. Right now the C4 works with Logic 7, Sonar 3 and 4, and Tracktion 2, so it's got some catching up to do, but it really is in the hands of the DAW authors. We make the SDK available to anyonw who wants it.

p.s.: If anyone has any questions about a lot of our newer products including the Onyx mixers and their Firewire card, the 800R mic preamp, the big knob, etc, feel free to post on the Macie.com forums, where I answer questions fairly regularly.

Thanks very much!


How can I know that I'll have the new colored MCU when i buy from an internetstore?
Do I have to ask for a serial number or something so i know i'm going to buy a new 'colored' unit?
And will mackie ever bring MCU with USB out?

Cheers
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump