The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Anyone Using a Beige G3 for Recording?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Is Anyone Using a Beige G3 for Recording?

Does anyone here use a Beige G3 for recording? If so could you tell me your setup. I'm putting together a "My First DAW" for my little brother. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2003
Me!

G3 300
PT Mix +5
2 x 8 ch Prism Dream ADA converters
ProControl

That should get him started!

heh
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

I was thinking a little bit more humble Is anyone using one in a native system?
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

i wouldnt bother with it. personally, if money were an issue... id go with a PC system running nuendo or something. a dual AMD processor.

a beige G3 just isnt going to cut it native.... unless its a VERY minimal setup. id at LEAST find a 'older' G4.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Well I'm talking a 2 in, 2 out eight track setup. Not much, really. Just trying to use what I have. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2003
Mac Moderator

If upto 16 Audio tracks, and about 6 or 7 plugins is enough, then sure a Beige G3 (running OS9) will do the trick....

They are also pretty expandable.... you can accelerate it upto a G4 550mhz currently, and up the Ram to 768mb.... Most PC CDRW's work with them internally, and you can speed up the HD ccess by adding a cheap IDE 100 or 133 PCI accelerator card. I did that with mine, and can pull about 40 tracks off logic with it. I only upgraded because I need to run OSX (ProTools and Logic) and the Beige machines dont run it well enough for serious music use.

At least you'd be dodging the possible headaches of a Windows system
Oh yeah. you can easily add USB and firewire too...

Al.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks man!! Do you know anything about that 800mhz G3 upgrade offered by Powerlogix?
Old 1st April 2003
Mac Moderator

Hi David,
Yeah. I read a review of it on XLR8yourmac.com seems very good for non-altivec enabled apps... so it should be the fastest acclerator with ProTools, but not quite as fast as a 500 + G4 accel' with Logic and DP3 etc...

Worth a try though maybe.... plus you dont have to do a complete re-install of your OS when installing an accelerator from the G3 series....

Al.
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
Well I'm talking a 2 in, 2 out eight track setup. Not much, really. Just trying to use what I have. Thanks.

Hi David,

I have a Beige G3 333 (I'm writing you from it right now!). It has an old audio media III card in it, and will run Performer 2.7 without much problem. I left it on sys 8.6 because everything works, and I'm afraid sys 9 might be too much for it. I got a USB card for it last year for $29 and it works, but I've never tried it with USB audio. You might consider staying with an older System and older versions of native software, that is if you don't get the accelerator.

The good thing is that it has a speedy little SCSI drive in it, instead of IDE, and the SCSI external connector.

It's really nice of you to fix your little bro up like that
Old 2nd April 2003
I worked for 3+ years on a beige 333 G3 and it ran 16-24 tracks of 16 & 24-bit audio in DP without a problem. You won't be able to run mad plug-ins, but for the basics, particularly with only eight tracks, it should be fine.

What software will he be running?
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Well I haven't gotten the software yet. I'm leaning towards Logic simply because I can start him off with Logic Delta that comes with those little M Audio cards and then move up from there. Thanks to my job I have access to pretty much any software due to "industry accomidation". I might try to find a second hand 001 but that's in question. Oh, and I'm going to let him use my DAC1 and 2402-96 whenever possible. The thought of him using anything else is more then I can bearheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search