The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anybody use the AVammo Hush 7200 Ext. Firewire Drive?
Old 31st March 2003
Here for the gear

Question Anybody use the AVammo Hush 7200 Ext. Firewire Drive?

I searched External Firewire drive posts and read what was out there on Gearslutz. Good stuff, love the site. I have a question on a particular unit, and I'm about to purchase one for backup and recording purposes. A friend turned me onto http://www.avammo.com/ and they sell a external firewire drive that's optimized for audio, etc. Anybody use one? Comments? I read their reviews, but Gearslutz know best :-) Would you pick the IBM drive inside it, or the Seagate? Same price either way. I'm thinkin' 80 gig, 7200 Hush Drive, price is competetive too. Any advice? I'd consider other brands too, but the Glyph's are overpriced. I'm thinking $250-300 for my budget.

Thanks!
Rab
KMR Audio

Definitely the IBM Deskstar. Even with the 8Mb disk-cache version of the Seagate, the IBM's seem to give around 5MBps better performance. This was testing the drives as bare mechs in a G4... not sure if running them through a firewire bridge would reduce this difference or not. Having said that, both these mechanisms are a safe bet.
Old 1st April 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks, IBM sounds good if I go that route. Another question, what's the deal with this "911" chipset (is that correct?), and having a removable firewire hard drive that makes use of the IDE connection in my computer, but when it's removed it doubles as a Firewire/USB 2.0 external? Are these drives durable, and are they a meant to be carried around? Is that where "the bridge" comes in, forgive my newbieness, I'm anxious to figure this all out. Is the bridge the whole adapter/split for IDE and Firewire? It sure would be nice to have the use of another 120 gig HD in my PC at home for sample archiving and effect libraries, etc, fast too using the IDE. I don't see myself buying another card for my computer for USB 2.0 or Firewire. It's USB 1.1 now. Thoughts? Any one done the math for the removable drive scenario? Who makes the case with that chipset, and what's a good drive for that route?

Thanks everyone :-)

808st8

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search