The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Video card recomendations for DAW
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Nut

Video card recomendations for DAW

I have (cant belive i am saying this) just decided to switch back to my PC for most of my audio work. I have just bought a mac but it wont work properly with the UAD-1 powercore element combo, also Ableton Live runs slower on my mac that I thought it would. Soooo I am getting slight audio glitches when I move things on the screen and I am thinking that it is due to my OLD video card. I think it is a Matrox G400 or G450. The video card is about 5 years old. I have to do some more tests but I am pretty sure that it is the problem. I dont know anything about video cards or how they work but I know that I dont want my cpu taking time away from my audio in order to be making up for the work that the video card cant process! My only real requirment for the card is that it needs to be dual head. That is about it. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

a cheap one without fans and 2 monitor support.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

ati 5200 - cheap, dual head, reliable. or frankly any common nvidia card.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hi

I've been using Matrox cards on my PC daws for five years now, and they always worked OK for me; I had the G450 Millennium dual Head on my Pro Tools system (for dual head Mix/Edit windows) and I upgraded to a P750 (Parhelia) because I needed triple head display for A/V post work, so that I can have both windows of Pro Tools and a Quick Time preview at full screen on a third TV screen. Works like a dream, sync is killer and picture quality is great. I think they are a great choice for a DAW; if you want to get a fanless one get the P650 which is identical to the P750/Parhelia but quieter.

ATI also makes good dual head or single head card and they seem to be a bit cheaper than Matrox.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Nut

thanks for the tips Gerax. I looked at the matrox website and dam they look sweet. Tri head! now we are talking LOL.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

+100 for NO FANS... by far the most important thing when buying a video card (unless you have a soundproof box of course).
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

yes have had to remove several anoying little fans from my computers in the past and I am not about to add another one. In fiact my "whisper" enermax powersuply is too dam loud still dfegad on it i say! it gets silly with all the zalman fans and what not. but that is another thread.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Before you toss your Matrox, read this: http://www.zefiro.com/vgakills.txt article.

The 'kool kidz' diss older Matrox cards because they aren't designed for gamers. Gamers want 3-D and Matrox 400s and 450s are designed to do 2-D - and they do it well if the drivers are correct. View the article, try the tweaks, maybe you'll save a few bucks.
Old 21st June 2005
I have a Matrox P650 - the newer revision of the 450s y'all are talking about. Still fanless, good power consumption, and plays very nice with the CPU. It can do dual-DVI, meaning you could have 2x 1600x1200 displays.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

running a radeon 9250, it'll do 2048x1536 on 2 monitors and only cost $45.
Only one dvi port though, if you have 2 lcd's i guess you'd have to run one on analog...

(also has no fans )
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

Usually Matrox cards work wonderfully in audio systems if bus mastering is disabled in their settings.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

matrox are very nice... don't need the bells and whistles, so i use a radeon 7000. cheap and works well...
Old 23rd June 2005
i'M INTO the matrox thing myself.. first a G450, now a G550 with 32mb ram..

I payd 10$ for the card.

Well you can also try an ATI 9000, they are nice too..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search