The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please help me choose an audio interface for my iBook
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

Please help me choose an audio interface for my iBook

I'll need it to record on my 1.2GHz iBook, so far I've used Logic Express but would like to try different hosts. I'll never use more than one input at a time, either guitar, mic, or MIDI, so a high number of simultaneous inputs and outputs isn't relevant. I guess it also means that I can make do with USB 1.0. What I'm looking for in particular is a good headphone output, since I have to do mixes with phones. Can't spend much more than $400, maybe $500 if it's a great deal.

Okay, so I've considered the following:

Edirol FA-66 (don't know anything about this, except the features seem to fit the bill) $400

M-Audio FW 410 (looks nice, but haven't they had lots of driver problems?) $300

Presonus Firebox (generally good reviews) $400

Lexicon Omega (ugly, but lots of features for the price) $300

Mackie Spike (ugly, but on sale where I live, and I'd really like Tracktion) $300

Steinberg System 4 (I'd like Cubase SL just to get my hands on Cubase, don't know anything about the hardware) $400

Any input from user of these would be much appreciated. Specifically about the quality of preamps, converters and headphone output.

Thanks!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Any reason you've not listed the Digidesign MBox? It's not a bad bundle for the money, you get Pro Tools, a bunch of plugs, Logic worx fine on it, the pre's are better than most you've listed there. The only drawbacks are it doesn't have midi and you're a bit limited i/o wise.

On the cheap side, the Edirol UA25 isn't bad but no software included.

Other than that, if you like the look of Traktion, grab the Spike. It worx and the software is pretty damn easy to get about on.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

I wouldnt reccomend Digi's coreaudio driver to anyone ( not even my worst enemy )

I think you should consider the Focusrite Saffire

in your price rang and come with plugins . I have a good feeling about this sound

card . but it doesnt ship for about a month
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Any reason you've not listed the Digidesign MBox? It's not a bad bundle for the money, you get Pro Tools, a bunch of plugs, Logic worx fine on it, the pre's are better than most you've listed there. The only drawbacks are it doesn't have midi and you're a bit limited i/o wise.

On the cheap side, the Edirol UA25 isn't bad but no software included.

Other than that, if you like the look of Traktion, grab the Spike. It worx and the software is pretty damn easy to get about on.
I do need MIDI I/O, and I have a strong feeling pro tools isn't for me (I'll be working quite a lot in MIDI).

I'll add UA25 to my considerations, thanks.
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersisblue
I wouldnt reccomend Digi's coreaudio driver to anyone ( not even my worst enemy )

I think you should consider the Focusrite Saffire

in your price rang and come with plugins . I have a good feeling about this sound

card . but it doesnt ship for about a month
Thanks for your advice. I've been looking at the Focusrite unit as well, and it sounds really promising. But I need an interface asap.
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Nut

By the way, this has caught my attention:

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?fo...x=0&submit.y=0

Seems like a piece of pro gear just within my price range. What do you think?
Old 19th June 2005
I generally like Yamaha gear, though I don't have a lot. (I bought a Yamaha SV3700 for my old project studio and I liked it pretty well [except for its lack of a proper record-ready mode], pretty sweet converters for the day.)

But, I have to say, when I see something like "69% off!" on a relatively new technology item it rings loud, loud alarm bells in my head.

Now, it's possible it's an early product and its original price reflects the pricing milieu a couple years ago, and that, perhaps the price was poorly set in the first place. (Also, some manufacturers have a lot of "air" in their prices, giving retailers more flexibility, while some others have rigidly fixed pricing structures and don't tolerate deep discounting from their dealers.)

I am intrigued by Yamahas Firewire-based MLAN protocol, but I don't have any personal familiarity with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search