The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SAWStudio
Old 19th June 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmotr
I do work with MIDI, but I do all my sequencing with MPC. I'd be recording everything as audio.
then any way you slice it you'd love SawStudio w/MidiWorkShop. Understand that MidiWorkShop is completely integrated into SawStudio. You can roll off your midi tracks directly into the audio multitracker any time you like (I usually do it last thing before Mix Down). Bounce back and forth between the audio multitracker and midi to make changes and tweaks. All in perfect sync.

For me, a typical project starts out like:
Midi:
drums (1 to 16 midi tracks).
Bass (1 to 4 midi tracks depending on layers etc..).
Horns (1 - 6 midi tracks).
Strings (etc... you get the idea).

Digital Audio Multitracker:
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Guitar
Vocals
Anything that requires a microphone...

<><><>
Oh, n "Track Layers" man! - gotta have 'em for recording multiple takes FAST. Then collecting the best pieces of each take to create the final track FAST. Nothing like it in any other recording system I've used. N' talk about keeping the creative juices flowing in a recording session - there's nothing like it.
<><><>

As the whole song starts to take shape, I tweak (change/add/subtract) anything and everything in both the MidiWorkShop and in the digital audio multitracker as needed, without hesitation. Also, MidiWorkShop has all the basic functions and views - like mod filters etc.. I have yet to find myself saying "If I only had that feature I could do this" - that just hasn't happened. And MidiWorkShop is being updated so I expect it'll have all the bells and whistles over time.

It'll help you get more stuff done faster and sounding better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmotr
That might be an issue. A laptop solution is actually what I'm considering, since I don't have much space.

Thanks for posting and reading the PM...
There are LOTS of folks running SawStudio on Laptops. (I'm not one of 'em yet, but will be one day).

There are at least 24 programmable function keys that allow you to jump to any view you configure. I only use 6 for the digital audio multitracker and 4 or 5 for MidiWorkShop. A couple of 'em include specific views of both. Works great and its fast as lightening. I wouldn't get too hung up on gui stuff, focus more on workflow.

There's a lot of folks using laptops and SawStudios "Live Mode" for mixing bands and recording live performance remotely. Sounds like it works great with certain control surfaces (Mackie / Behringer). It also supports the Transport control that lets you go wireless too.

You should really give SawStudio a hard look.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161
all i can say about SAW 'downsides' is... get a dual screen setup with 2 big screens then you'll be ok - it needs plenty of screen estate.
Quote:
That might be an issue. A laptop solution is actually what I'm considering, since I don't have much space.
Hey Kmotr,

I've been running SAWStudio on a single Toshiba Satellite 15.4" with excellent results. The power is in the programmable F-key views...you can arrange your workspace as you need it and change it dramatically with the touch of an F-key, instantaneously.

'Course, a pair of 21" flat screens would be nice

Blessings,
Old 20th June 2005
Here for the gear

Rolling Stone Magazine

A band I produced in SAW is featured Rolling Stone last week and got 3.5 stars for the cd.
All Saw all the time.
When people ask "is that Protools?" I say it's better, and that ends that.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Congrats!! Very cool.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Of course, people tend to defend their tools (justifying where the money was spent), but I read that some switched to SAW from other programs because of its sonic quality.
I'm definitely not justifying my purchase because I haven't bought it yet, but I've been mucking around with the SAW demo for the last couple of weeks and am now thinking very stronly about getting it.

I'm currently tracking classical vocal stuff in Sonar, and have noticed a definite step up in clarity and stereo separation when summing in SAW using the same source files.

After mixing down and listening to both files through Wavelab, SAW's mix lets you pinpoint precisely where each voice is coming from in the stereo field, whereas Sonar's mix is a slightly vague. Each voice is clearly defined in SAW, whereas Sonar sort of blends them into each other a bit.

For tracking though - I couldn't tell any difference.
Old 6th July 2005
HSL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundogm
For tracking though - I couldn't tell any difference.

Where you notice the difference is when you want to monitor through the software at your interfaces lowest latency. SAW can do this without having to rely on the latest super processor to get the job done.

-Doug
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinghammer
Rumor has it that Robert Randolph has walked many a stumped SAW user through it...by phone...on his own coin...at 3 in the morning...24/7...verify this yourself at audiolabs(at)gmail.com

Blessings,

yep. email or call (727)385-5260 anytime day or night. If you need any assistance with the software at all, walkthrough, tutorial, discounts, or just wanna chat about stuff.

also, awesome new shade for saw...

http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/...ead.php?t=2342
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've been planning on buying Sequoia for a while now, but I'm giving SAW a serious look. There are a number of people who have converted to SAW from Samp/Seq.

Watching Bob's videos, I am very impressed. It looks like the 3 years he spent coding the engine alone pays off in a very responsive, real time program.

And regarding the look of the GUI, there are some cool skins that tone it down quite a bit.

Not to mention that you can get it for $200/month on a credit card, no other credit involved. Sam Ash has a similar deal on Sequoia, but do I really want a Sam Ash card?

BTW, there's a "Which DAW do you use?" poll over at the Pro Sound Web/Brad Blackwood forum. SAW only has one vote so far.

There are some features of Sequoia that I like, and it handles timestamped BWAV files without having to purchase a separate $50 utility program (as with SAW). But SAW is intriguing I must say. I'll have to play with both demos some more I guess before deciding.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
I'll have to play with both demos some more I guess before deciding.
I played with both demos. Originally I really wanted to buy Samplitude because it had so many great features such as the convo reverb, pitch correction etc, but after trying both demos, my ears told me that SAWstudio sounded better.

I would have loved to have been able to create a mixed down file from the samp demo. Then, I could have used wavelab as an impartial playback environment to compare the 3 files, but listening via samp's own playback, it sounded too much like Sonar to me and seemed to suffer from the same slight lack of imaging and clarity. It's possible that Samp could have summed a great sounding file, but without the means to prove that, I didn't want to commit the money when the SAW demo had already proved itself.

Also, the complexity of SAMP reminded me too much of Logic ( ugh ) which I used to have and stopped using. The problem I found with logic was that if I didn't use it every day, I'd spend most of my time in the ( badly written ) manual trying to remember how to do things. Maybe it's just me, but I had no such apprehensions with SAW's interface which I found to be rather intuitive.

I bought SAW the other day through Robert ( with much thanks ! ) and it's giving me eargasms.
Old 16th April 2006
Gear Head

Bump. I'm considering jumping to SAW or samplitude, so time to bump up this thread and hear any updates or new users.
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

WAR, go to the SAW forum and read what new and old users are saying! It's a great forum, you'll find the developer there everyday too!!

http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/index.php?
Old 18th April 2006
Gear Maniac

To each his own I guess. I checked out the SAW and Samplitude demo and I went with Samplitude. NO matter how I tried, and no matter what new Shades I loaded in, I couldn't get over the "look" of SAWStudio. It reminded me of that late 80's video game Double Dragon! :D Also, now I'm reading that SAW needs an additional option to read timestamped BWF, need an additional software to export CueSheets to burn CD-R, an additional option for MIDI? All this at the $2500 list price?

Samplitude is indeed not the most user friendly program. However, once you get a hang of it, it's downright awesome. With the ability to set up your tracks in the VIP, set track ID and burn a CD-R directly, I was sold! I do a lot of Mastering and this feature is invaluable. Also, the Samplitude object editing capabilities opens up a whole new way of working. I'm sure SAW is an awesome program and I do like the fact that it's very efficient. Heck I was shocked how fast it opened on a Pentium III 500 MHz machine! BUt having tried both demos, Samplitude did it for me. Plus you can get Samp for a MUCH lower price.
Old 18th April 2006
Lives for gear

true, the graphics are a bit 'Turtle Beach' circa mid 90's... but mate, it's just so damned efficient and stable.
Old 18th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I couldn't get over the "look" of SAWStudio
There is a shade called OH 2 that is a Samplitude style skin. Quite nice too!

Too bad you could not at least demo the program. I used Samplitude for quite awhile and I liked it. But, it is not as effectient as SAW. You will only know if you work with it a little yourself.

There is a midi ad on, the others you mention are incorrect.

You are right though, to each their own.
Old 18th April 2006
Lives for gear
zSamplitude raver

Yeah i favor Samplitude also; saw was cool when i seen them use it, but i have no time to learn a gui all over again and i even ditched Nuendo for Samp, so it must have done something right. And with the lynx card i feel it blows many competion and their 20,000$ hd rigs (yeah i said n what!).
Old 18th April 2006
Gear Maniac

I would say SAW, Samplitude/Sequoia are not for everyone. There's a niche market for these. Honestly, if SAW had a better looking GUI and the price comes down on it, I'll definitely reconsider. But right now I love the way Samplitude is laid out. It's way more efficient than what I'm used to already (Digital Performer) though I know it is certainly not as efficient as SAW. Maybe someday I'll make the switch.
Old 19th April 2006
Gear Nut

Update...

After having written what I did almost a year ago, I must now confess that I'm back in Sonar entirely. Not too long after buying SAW, Cakewalk put out version 4.02 of Sonar which really made me take notice. It seems that they fixed all my complaints in that version and since then Sonar has sounded great !

I still hear a difference, but I honestly can't say one is sonically better than the other. Sonar now has the clarity and stereo focus that I wan't. More importantly, it has the reverb which I like best and unfortunately, it's annoyingly specific to Sonar, so it's just easier to do everything there.

I still love SAW which to me has a slightly 'rounder' sound from what I hear.
Old 27th April 2006
Gear Nut

Can't try the Saw demo until next week. So it can host VSTi's, but there's no way to sequence midi in Saw without the extra Midi program you can buy for it? So you can play your VSTi in Saw and record it to an audio track, but that's it right?
Old 27th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you can play your VSTi in Saw and record it to an audio track, but that's it right?

Very effecient engine too!
Old 22nd July 2006
Here for the gear

I use SAW and don't have any complaints. Best DAW software out there IMHO. I been around awhile, I did my first paid session in 1973 when I was 17, never quit. Been DAWing since early '90s, I've tried most of them out there and was a 10 year 12 Tone person. I don't know why, nor do I care. But SAW Studio sounds better and is 100 times more stable than anything out there. I would strongly recomend if you are serious about recording music, you jump on the SAW wagon..................JDW
Old 22nd July 2006
Lives for gear

I can't believe people are questioning Samp's sound quality. I moved from SONAR 5.2 and I immediately heard a huge difference in sound. It's fairly well known in the industry that Samp/Seq has the best sounding engine around. SAW may sound great but better? Not sure about that.

Factor in the hideous interface, and the fact that there is VERY limited control surface functionality and I was out of the SAW business.

One more note about the interface issue: I'm not sure if this is still the case but when I looked at it, Bob basically said that the MCU was the best control surface but he would not consider support for the Mackie XTs. Something about how the midi would have to be totally reworked. Again, I'm going from memory here but most of thr SAW users I talked with basically said that a control surface was unnesessary so who cares. Well, I did and it was the final straw for me. I went with Samp and it was the absolute right decision.

Saying that it sounds much like SONAR is crazy to me.
Old 22nd July 2006
Gear Addict

i'd like to see an awesome dawsum comparison between the two.
the engines are obviously very different. saw uses a fixed bit engine at some weird depth (51 bits or something like that). by default with something like that you'd be capturing more resolution per sample, and i'd assume suffer less significant rounding errors during mixdown, said effect being less digital "haze". i'd suspect any difference would be subtle at best till you got into large projects.
they'd just be guesses. i'd honestly like to see proof.
i've tried both. loved samp...the audio editing and saw was just a bit..odd looking for me. lol i'm used to LOTS of gridlines, dammit. i also found the gui offputting. but cost was the real killer for me.
in the end, i found pc's offputting in general, so now i use dp and metro on a mac. i've been tempted on occasion to put xp on my macbook to run samp again...just can't convince myself to do it.
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit
i'd like to see an awesome dawsum comparison between the two.
the engines are obviously very different. saw uses a fixed bit engine at some weird depth (51 bits or something like that). by default with something like that you'd be capturing more resolution per sample, and i'd assume suffer less significant rounding errors during mixdown, said effect being less digital "haze". i'd suspect any difference would be subtle at best till you got into large projects.
they'd just be guesses. i'd honestly like to see proof.
i've tried both. loved samp...the audio editing and saw was just a bit..odd looking for me. lol i'm used to LOTS of gridlines, dammit. i also found the gui offputting. but cost was the real killer for me.
in the end, i found pc's offputting in general, so now i use dp and metro on a mac. i've been tempted on occasion to put xp on my macbook to run samp again...just can't convince myself to do it.
It's 48 bits, but who's counting?

At any rate, when I experience the stability, the blazing speed, the analog-esque sound quality of SAWStudio, and the sheer joy factor (does your DAW put a smile on your face?), I can get past its "dog" looks! (And I can re-fur the dog with any look I want...I actually ENJOY the look of the "uniform" shade.)

And with Bob's GFA program (an affordable "trust"-based payment plan with no interest), $ should not be a factor.

$0.02,
John Hernandez
Blazing Hammer Prod.
Satisfied SAW user for 12 years
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Groove
NO matter how I tried, and no matter what new Shades I loaded in, I couldn't get over the "look" of SAWStudio. It reminded me of that late 80's video game Double Dragon! :D
Isn´t that a good thing? Or a you more of a "Final fight"-guy?
Old 27th October 2008
dip
Gear Head

sx2 vs samplitude 8 vs sawstudio (01-Aug-06 10:17PM )

i just checked out saw studio and did an audio mix shoot out between it, cubase sx2, and samplitude. saw studio is the best, cubase is the worst, and samplitude is not much better than cubase. i as floored enough to buy some interfaces. i was thinking lynx aurora 16, or the rme adi8 ds.. my take on the shoot out was as follows: i loaded in the msi remix project for straight to video i had laying around, it was from pro tools, it was wav files, 52, the whole tracks from start to finish. i loaded them all in, put all things at unity and listened extensivly to each audio engine.. wow. samplitude sounded smooth, but the high end detail was lacking and the bass was kinda nasal like. cubase had this sheen, this muddy distant sound to everything. it lacked detail and sounded kind of muddy, this was cubase sx2. i used saw studio. and wow. clear, punchy, full, on all levels, mid, low, and high. very detailed. i could not beleive it. the differnce was immense. wow... its like going from a mackie to an ssl. i'm not kidding. the differnce was not sublte. it was huge.
but what would i used before hand? you cannot just plug instruments into converters, you need some kind of gain staging... what do i use, a bunch of dis?
i am thinking about either an akai mpc 3000, mpc 1000, or mpc 2500, or a mac g4 laptop with logic and amt8 only running midi with no plugs or cpu audio. that should be tight... i dont know for sure yet. i gotta figure all this out soon. i really hate cubase now, bad midi, and a smeared audio engine. its pure crap now that i have compared it to the others. wow..
i will use saw i think. too bad the midi sucks, to bad it loops in cycle mode like poop. its great for audio, but man the midi sucks.. so i will treat saw like a tape machine mixer, run logic or mpc for midi.. i hope they make this program loop better. man...

how do you rate sawstudio these days??

Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Bob? Is that you after all these years?
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

i just mixed 5 tracks in cubase and in saw studio because of all this hoopla. Saw studio is the least user friendly daw ive ever used. Its layed out really badly. The sound was hardly any different. Maybe a little more bass possibly due to pan law. Ever heard of placebo?

If it helps you make better mixes, then so be it.. but the sound is nothing better.
Old 28th October 2008
dip
Gear Head

no,i'm not
here we go...don't get rid of it because of the default gui.SAW is completely skinnable - and there are a number of 'shades' that look beautiful& tasty
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post

i will use saw i think. too bad the midi sucks.

Have you tried the MidiWorkshop add-on?

Btw. I had the same impression when comparing those three programms as you...After I got SAW...I went back to Cubase...then I discovered that Samplitude is much better but, after a while I was missing something so I had to go back to SAW because it has balls and the most transparent and musical sound.

If you have any questions go to SAWStudio / SAC User Group - Powered by vBulletin or PM me.

Michael
Old 28th October 2008
Deleted User
Midiworkshop BLOWS Period . I like the way SAW emulates a traditional console but BOB is STUCK in time and WONT budge to add ANY features end users want. Does it even work with VISTA yet?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search