The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Aluminum 15" Powerbook-dead RAM alert, lower slot!
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Aluminum 15" Powerbook-dead RAM alert, lower slot!

I've noticed my machine seemed sluggish since switching to OS 10.3.9 from 10.3.8. I just now realized that my lower RAM slot has gone dead.

I went to the Apple Support Discussions area, and there is a lengthy thread about this. I've already tried re-seating the RAM. Nope.

There is some specualtion that 10.3.9 changed something with the RAM, causing this problem. I'm waiting for some advice on the Apple thread, but it looks like I'll have to call Apple and send it in.

Last time I had to send a machine into Apple, I brought it down to Office Max, which is one of their shipping pick-up spots. They sent it to back to me immediately! Before sending it to Apple!

My PC is looking awfully good right now, as this older G4 550 Powerbook is really slow running OS X. Hopefully Apple will get my newer machine working properly. I thought I should post this warning for anyone who may not have upgraded to 10.3.9 yet, though it's not entirely certain that that is the culprit. Likely though.

The machine works fine with the lower slot empty BTW, so that's what I'm doing for now. Luckily it didn't fry my 1 Ghz chip!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search