The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What sample rate do you record at?
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

What sample rate do you record at?

Curious to know what sample rate everyone else here is recording at.

I am currently recording @ 24bit 44.1 for most everything.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

96 k / 24 bit since a couple of months. I have to switch over a lot 'cause there still quite some unfinished 48k stuff on the disks. New projects start at 96k though.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Maniac

88.2/24
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

48kHz/24bit. For jazz/acoustic, 96kHz/24bit.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

when I'm feeling '88

16 bit 48k
HAIL THE 3348
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Maniac

24 bit / 48khz, My UAD-1 card wimps out to fast on 96khz, I better get another one!!!
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

I do drum tracks over the Internet. The client sends either a full multi-track project or just stereo wav files or even mp3s without the drum loops or samples and I replace the loops with a great sounding acoustic kit. The client approves preview mixes and then downloads a bundle of 11 finished drum tracks from a personal web page on my web site.

I track at what ever sample rate the client is using. I get 'em all.

With a good front end and great converters... all sample rates sound about the same. With less expensive converters... the audible difference between sample rates is much more noticeable. With great converters... tracking at 88.2 or 96khz doesn't seem worth the loss in track count and plugins.

For most projects started in my studio... I track at 44.1/24 and small acoustic projects are tracked at 88.2/24.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

24:96 for best quality and it's going to mastering, 24:44.1 for quick&dirty.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

48Khz/24bit for music 48Khz/16bit for TV...my 002R won't allow more than 2 digital inputs at any higher rate
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear
Sample rate

Since I switched to using tape for most of my tracking, I use 88.2k now. I feel that is the lowest sample rate I can use and still capture what I am hearing off of tape.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Just making the transition to 24/88.2 from 24/44.1. Big difference in the computer load and on my UAD-1 cards (double, actually).

The jury is still out if I can notice a big enough difference to justify the added load on the system.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Nut

24/48 for everything on a Radar24. Love it.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

24/96 if i only need 8 simultaneous tracks.

24/48 if i need 16 simultaneous tracks.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

was 48/24 for a good while, now trying 96/24.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

88.2k sounds the most 'tapey' on my converters, fluffy clouds, very nice.

96k sounds hi-fi, mirror polished silver.

i go with 88.2 for my own stuff.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 15th June 2005
atm 44,1 / 24

sooner or later i'll change to 24 / 88,2
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Maniac

24/96 for most everything apart from........
really nice acoustic instruments in a nice space when i like to use 24/192.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Addict

24/96

I used to do 24/48. To me 96 is a huge difference.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

24 bit 96k
Old 16th June 2005
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

24 bit 44.1k just to keep it simple so all the gear in my studio can talk to each other with no fuss.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the helpful info..I'm restrained by my old o2r only being capable of up to 48k. To get the most out of my digi 002 I use the 8 analog ins via/ an api lunch box and 2 ch 1272 and then the other 8 inputs via the digital adat inputs on thee Digi oo2. So right now the thing hanging me up in the 44.1 48 k range is the 02r because I rely on the 8 digital ins as well during tracking. So for me at this point the o2r is really more than I need output card wise , I only need 8 digital outputs and a small console to create stems for cues, monitoring and sometimes mixing I'm debating on selling the o2r and getting the new o1v96. Then I could utilize the 96k land of my digi 002. Sound smart to you guys? What would you do?
Thanks again!
Old 16th June 2005
7om
Gear Maniac

96k/24bit
Old 16th June 2005

24bit 96kHz for "normal" projects.

I also think 96kHz makes a huge difference compared to 44.1, especially in terms of transparency + plugs quality... all my comp plugs sound 10 times better at 96 or up. Though analog is the best... heh

24bit 192kHz when the total track count will be less than 28.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I'm restrained by my old o2r only being capable of up to 48k... I'm debating on selling the o2r and getting the new o1v96. Then I could utilize the 96k land of my digi 002. Sound smart to you guys? What would you do?

since you asked, what i would do (and what i DO do) is to look at my entire chain, the big picture, and identify the largest bottleneck between me and my goals. since my front end is now officially badass, i most recently looked at the back end and went with a high end summing box.

in that light, my question is, "is the 48k factor your biggest limitation?" the o2r seems to do everything else you need, so sampling rate and conversion are the primary benefits to the o1v, yes? or no?

what is your preamp situation? mics? outboard limiters? outboard compressors? i ask because a 96k recording of an okay signal is nowhere near as delicious, imho, as a 48k recording of pure sonic love. and especially given that the converters you're talking about are not in the same league as, say, prism, i question whether the desire for a higher sampling rate is the smartest basis for a big investment right now.

so if you elaborate on your setup, give a budget, and state your goal(s), you will be far more likely to identify which next step will yield the biggest bang for the buck, and the help we can give will be much more, ah, helpful.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Just stepped up to 96/24 a few weeks ago. Before then it was 48/24. I was a bit hesitant at first but I must admit that 96k sounds a bit cleaner to my ears(MOTU HD192 clocked by Big Ben). Had to get an extra UAD-1 card though, 96k is a hog on plugins.
My theory is, if your computer can handle it, Why not do it!
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

used to record at 24 / 96 , now its 24 / 44.1 , its better not to convert again.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i question whether the desire for a higher sampling rate is the smartest basis for a big investment right now.
yup.
higher sampling rates CAN and DO show up deficiencies in the signal chain more readily than lower sampling rates.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

gregoire
Thanks for the reply..My chain is pretty decent...

outboard

api 512 in a 6 space lunchbox
2 channels Dan Alexander 1272
Summit audio TLA 100
DBX 160a

and the rest comes from an O2R..as far as converters go I know this an important element. But not really into dropping a bunch of loot on a box that simply converts..I know this sounds stupid but..I have used the Apogee AD 8OOO's when transfering from tape instead of the 888's and have not had noticed enough difference to justify that kind of purchase.

here is a link to my studio the only thing that isn't listed in the equip list is the API lunch box which is a really new purchase and we haven't updated the site yet. I must say that the API was one of the best purchases I've made! they sound great!

http://www.nightingalestudios.com/recording.htm

thanks, Burt

Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear
24/96 - when is digi gonna support multiple sampling rates in the same session?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search