The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Liquid mix vs Powercore x8 vs Uad-1 DSP Audio Systems
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear
Liquid mix vs Powercore x8 vs Uad-1

Hi, so I've been reading the other posts but havent found a similar situation. So first off I would like to say hello since I'm new to gearslutz!

On to the subject. I'm currently working one expanding my small home studio a little bit to get a better sound of my mixes. I am thinking about getting a liquid mix 32 channels for my studio vs my currently waves plugins (eq/compressor).

My setup overall is:
PC running intel c2d 3ghz 1333mhz fsb, 2gb ddr3 pc12800 etc.
FL DAW
Krk rokit 5 x2 active monitors
m-audio audiophile usb interface
virus classic hw
m-audio axiom 67

I produce trance music and want to make my mixes cleaner and I'm therefor looking for good quality compressors / equalizers for a decent amount of creds. Was checking out the Powercore x8 and uad-1 but not sure if I'm going to invest into that or Liquid Mix.

Any suggestions?

regards,
jaroo
Old 10th December 2008
whats your budget?
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear
Hmm about 400-1600 euro. Alltho I have heard the TC powercore has alot of problems. The uad-2 is a bit too pricy as I am also planning on buying a virus TI and some other things in the near future. I have heard alot of good about liquid mix tho and that's why I just need a straight answer if it will do the job or not for a producer. Most likely the tracks will not get mastered by major label so I have to do the job myself.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

you're in a tough position alright

my opinion

you can get amazing plugins natively - especially EQ (sonnox, EMI) and compressors too (sonnox, sonalksis, waves, EMI)

i have the powercore and it fulfills needs i couldn't get 100% satisfied in the box and that was reverb. i got VSS3 and along with classicverb never need to look further (unless VSS4 comes out )

i also actually got the CL1b for powercore which i use all over the place and basically for every vocal - this is probably the best compressor i've ever heard and can be practically transparent in many cases
disclaimer: i've never used very good hardware comps in a mix session

as nice as a UAD would be, i don't feel the need
Old 10th December 2008
Mmm tricky position.

IMO I would only go powercore if you primarily really need a high quality reverb. They do do nice EQ (Sonnox) and 1 character compressor (Tubetech) but they are much more expenisve and not as varied as UAD. Also powercore has a not good user record vs pretty much everyone who uses UAD loves them. macleodgrant loves Powercore tho () for good reason - he has the best bits - X8 with Tubetech and VSS3. However that is VERY expensive!

Liquid Mix - well - some like it. I sold mine. The EQs are good - but there is a confusingly large choice which dont sound radically different. Their compressors most agree arent as good as UAD.

Your only other choice is DUende PCIe which has just had a price drop. It is definitely worth considering...similar quality to UAD really with less choice. However - the only thing to seperate them is Duende has a very nice buss compressor and UAD prob is stronger for track compressors. Also UAD has one of the best ITB reverbs available as well as FX.

Heres what I would do:

I would buy a new UAD1 Flexi Pak and Express Pak from JRR shop this month which will give you $1000 of vouchers for a cost $550. So youd choose your plugins with $1000 and have 2 UAD1 cards which is what you need to mix a session easily. Plus you have the UAD christmas sale = cheaper plug to spend that money on.

I personally would buy anything you like bar the EQs....specifically the compressors which are brilliant.

UAD Forums • View topic - UAD-1 Blow-Outs + Voucher Deals

You will have to import that in - PM me if you need a tip to do this cheaply

For EQing - I would buy the DDMF IIEQ Pro for your regular track EQ (donate what you want as the price) **** DDMF-The home of Equalizers-DDMF ****.

For special sauce EQ duties - I would also invest in Nebula 3 Pro when it comes out at the end of the month (€80) - and download the EQs from 'www.nebula-programs.com' for free. Many say (and I agree) that these are the best sounding ITB EQs available. Also - the UAD1 eqs are very resource heavy - and you want to use your UAD DSP for their compressors really.

So thats you EQ and Compression sorted.

I might also suggest URS Saturation for some flavour for your mixes. JRR Shop just quoted me $114 which is a VERY good price!
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear
Thanks to both of you for in-dept explenation of choices. I still feel a bit insecure due to the fact that yes I do need a reverb aswell but in this round I was basicly just looking for

A) equalizer that could do the job accurat, make the cuts wich are clean and doesnt add alot of extra width to the band without letting me know... I want > Control! and secondly...
B) a compressor that does a very good job where you don't end up like with alot of cheap vst compressors... they don't compress propperly or worst case scenario not at all :o!

The main reason I brought up these three in comparison is due to the DSP wich really takes a load of my cpu and gives me room for other things that I might need further along the road such as more plugins for sounds and so on. So yeah I'll need to think about it since it's going to be a investment, I'm a student and I'm poor...

Furthermore, the Liquid Mix eq gives u the oppertunity to change every band to whatever eq you want... that caught my attention. But as you write the sound is rather identical wich once again leaves me a bit hanging lol >_<

I will just have to dwell a bit on it unless you got some striking word of wisdom to really knock my teeth in and socks off!

Thanks so far for the help, I will most likely take it into account when choosing !
Old 10th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroo View Post

A) equalizer that could do the job accurat, make the cuts wich are clean and doesnt add alot of extra width to the band without letting me know... I want > Control! and secondly...
DDMF EQ/ UAD Cambridge EQ

Quote:
B) a compressor that does a very good job where you don't end up like with alot of cheap vst compressors... they don't compress propperly or worst case scenario not at all :o!
If strong compressors are your main concern. Go UAD. They also do a very good reverb.

I'll now end my crusade....
Old 11th December 2008
Gear Addict

+1 UAD flexi pack with the vouchers.
thoose plugins are very cheap in this time so U can have all of them

another thing..
check it this:
TC Electronic Forum / powercore vs uad

even TC dsp card owners says UAD cards,plugins,supports are BETTER.
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

why not get both, a powercore compact and then a version of the UAD for the price you would've spent on the X8.

the compact will more than suffice for several instances of great reverbs, the awesome character plugin and many tubifex instances.

the X8 is really pointless unless you have VSS3 & CL1b or the other additional plugs you can buy. i have the X8 & a Compact (had the compact 1st) and i've never used all the power at my disposal and my sessions are quite complex.

this way you get the best of both worlds!!!!
Old 11th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
why not get both, a powercore compact and then a version of the UAD for the price you would've spent on the X8.

the compact will more than suffice for several instances of great reverbs, the awesome character plugin and many tubifex instances.

the X8 is really pointless unless you have VSS3 & CL1b or the other additional plugs you can buy. i have the X8 & a Compact (had the compact 1st) and i've never used all the power at my disposal and my sessions are quite complex.

Not a bad idea - something I was considering.

Although do you recommend having to buy the VSS3? This adds significant cost...?

Are the included classicverb and Megaverb that much better than CSR/UAD Plate 140 + a good cheap IR collection?
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post

Although do you recommend having to buy the VSS3? This adds significant cost...?

Are the included classicverb and Megaverb that much better than CSR/UAD Plate 140 + a good cheap IR collection?
yes, i love my powercore and haven't had many issues like others so i'm probably biased
i wouldn't trade it for the UAD as i feel i have all other needs covered perfectly with native stuff & POCO - but that seems to just be me :-)

classicverb and megaverb are really good enough
VSS3 is amazing but i often just prefer and use classicverb cos it's quicker, easier and always sounds great

powercore comes with loads of plugins whereas the UAD2 just comes with LE versions of some plugins

notably incredible plugins by default for powercore are imo character, 24/7-C, dynamic eq, reverbs & TCSat
these are all incredible plugins

i've never used a UAD2 - ignorance is bliss :-)

the native verbs are good and i've tried and bought many of them in my quest for the best reverb

i personally don't feel the need for any more eq, comps, delays, verbs, etc so from now it's just new unusual stuff
[EDIT] Ignore this, just noted you're a PC user
do yourself a favour and save some money for the Dynamic Spectrum Mapper. this is one incredible plugin that can't be matched by anything currently available elsewhere
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post

Be careful, not every motherboard/chipset can deal with both in terms of PCI bandwith. Some can, but it's not automatic.
Old 11th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post

You should mention UADs Dreamverb too.
Universal Audio | Dreamverb

Plate 140 just awesome!(but plate reverb)secondary i wouldnt mention the Plate 140 with CSR in the same athmosphere...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search