The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
digidesign LE hardware and hardware monitoring
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

digidesign LE hardware and hardware monitoring

So I know digidesign doesn't exactly hardware monitor but I'm trying to think of solutions to basically be able to play and hear my guitar through my podxt pro while listening to songs, hopefully through itunes. I have an 002rack.

Currently my options are to open pro tools, assign the guitar a track, and bring the audio file/song into pro tools to play along to. Not exactly convenient.

The other way would be to get a smaller mixer to plug my computer into, my 002 main outs, and my pod so that I basically use it to feed all my outputs to my speakers at once if need be. Also not ideal, I don't really want to buy extra equipment nor do I really have room.

Any other crafty ways use guys use to work around this?

Also, can the mbox hardware monitor?
I do know that it can play computer audio and run pro tools at the same time which the 002 can not.
Old 1st December 2008
Hi,
The LE hardware is fairly restrictive in terms of monitoring
paths when recording. I think you'll have much more flexibility
going with the M-powered / M-audio hardware. You can hardware
monitor on the M-audio hardware by using their mixer application without
any host app. It's zero-latency.
One curiosity is (on the Mac) to route the iTunes audio output to anything
other than the default audio device. .. does anyone know how this
is done? I can't find it anywhere in Preferences...

jeff
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
One curiosity is (on the Mac) to route the iTunes audio output to anything
other than the default audio device. .. does anyone know how this
is done? I can't find it anywhere in Preferences...

jeff
System prefs, sound, output. It uses the Digi Core Audio app...

L
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
can the mbox hardware monitor?
Yes. This is what the "mix" pot controls - a mix between your live input and Pro Tools playback.
Old 1st December 2008
Sky
Lives for gear

n8tron,

If I understand what you're trying to do, just connect the analog output from your Mac to the alt source input on the 002R. Leave the Mac audio default output on built-in audio, and you can do a couple things:

1. Whenever you want to monitor your Mac, press the ALT SRC TO MON button on the 002R and turn up the monitor volume. This will work even if Pro Tools is not running, although the 002R will have to be powered up.

2. To monitor e.g. iTunes in Pro Tools, set up a PT session with one aux track with interface channel 7/8 as input. Then press the ALT SRC TO IN 7-8 button on your 002R and you'll be monitoring whatever is currently playing on the Mac.

I use this technique all the time with a 003R and it works great.

Sky
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

2. To monitor e.g. iTunes in Pro Tools, set up a PT session with one aux track with interface channel 7/8 as input. Then press the ALT SRC TO IN 7-8 button on your 002R and you'll be monitoring whatever is currently playing on the Mac.

I use this technique all the time with a 003R and it works great.

Sky
Thats a great idea for monitoring itunes in PT. Thanks.

Currently I have my pod plugged into the alt src input, so that if I just want to practice my guitar through headphones I can do that. Its really annoying that the 002 can't monitor that alt src at the SAME TIME as everything else. Otherwise that would pretty much solve my problem right there.
Old 1st December 2008
Sky
Lives for gear

I know what you mean n8tron. You could add a small utility mixer to the ALT SRC input, but it would be better if the 003R could mix its inputs like the newer M-Audio 2626.

Sky

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search