The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Comparing the 001 and 2408 via lightpipe... Your opinion
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Comparing the 001 and 2408 via lightpipe... Your opinion

Is the OSX better for sound quality?

I had a 2408 connected via lightpipe to a d8b for several years, and I recently purchased a 001, so that I could use PT 6 LE on a Mac running OSX (10.2.4). The 2408 was being used in conjunction with DP 3.11, running on system 9.2.2.

My question is, having the 001/2408 connected via lightpipe, it shouldn't make any difference in sound quality going in or our of the d8b. Do you think the new system (OSX) has anything to do with better sound quality coming out of the 001? Somehow everything sounds cleaner/clearer...

Any opinions concerning this?

Thanks in advance.
Imagine
Old 25th March 2003
Mindreader

Yes it does sound better IMHO.

I use a 2408 and I upgraded the drivers as soon as they appeared for OSX on the MOTU website.

It sounds better in the way that a better d to a might. Better top, clearer definition, better stereo imaging.

Good innit!

Of course all we need now is some boffin to come along and tell us that that couldn't possibly be true and in fact it sounds identical!
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Julian,

Do you think DP4 will sound any better than DP3? I like the sound quality of the 001 w/PT 6, but it's limited, and I have to buy a whole slew of plugs, instead of up grading at a much lower price. If I can get the same quality out of the 2408 w/DP4 on OSX, it'll be great!!!

Imagine
Old 25th March 2003
Mindreader

Only my mum calls me Julian

I use Logic, but anyway

Since I discovered that OSX sounds better I decided to ditch the plug ins that I thought I would miss and go over to X. And I'm not missing them because the sound quality makes up for it.

BUT

That's on Logic

AND

If I were to do a dance tune tomorrow I'd do it in 9 so I could use all the wierd stuff. At the moment I'm doing band kind of stuff and classical orchestration mock-ups which don't rely on strangeness.
Old 25th March 2003
Mindreader

That reminds me I went to some pretty cool acoustic gigs around your neck of the woods in december. Some place that only sells coffee for one, which is a pain 'cos I don't drink coffee.
Old 25th March 2003
There is only one

how would an OS make it sound better?
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Nut

can we get a boffin here please
Old 25th March 2003
Mindreader

Audio units/Core audio

instead of

'third party' drivers not built into the os - better number crunching?

God knows. Hope it is better or I'm going mad.

Let's not forget that these are completely rewritten drivers for OSX to take advantage of core audio for the motu gear.

At the moment the 2408 box I have doesn't support 96k, but it's coming. If it's all down to code then perhaps it can make a huge difference.
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
how would an OS make it sound better?

The placebo effect
Old 25th March 2003
There is only one

i dont think there is such a thing as better number crunching, its either right or divide by zero... i fail to see how a third party driver vs. core audio would make a bit of difference.

possibly code was rewritten better for the plugins when having to carbonize so the plugins arent the same anymore... that could make a difference.
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

alpha,

I don't know the technicalities concerning software coding/crunching etc..., but I do know that PT 6 (OSX) sounds better than DP3 (OS9). I'm not using the converters in the 2408 or 001. These units are connected to the d8b via lightpipe.
Old 25th March 2003
There is only one

better? or different? i have no idea how you have set these up for comparison. im guessing only 8 tracks sent lightpipe? whats done in PT/DP and whats done on the d8b?
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

It sounds better. I've been using the 2408 via lightpipe for years, and after a few days of using the 001/OSX via lightpipe, there's a difference in sound quality. More open, definition, clarity, also there's more output returning to the d8b from the 001, than the 2408. I can't figure it out.

The only way I can tell there's a difference is comparing one set up I've used for a long time, next to one I haven't.
Old 26th March 2003
There is only one

i think its a case of louder=better.

im curious as to how you are even running this. did you used to run 24/o to the d8b via the 2408? the 001 can only run 8/o to the d8b.... at least lightpipe.
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

The 001 & 2408 are connected via lightpipe to the d8b. I'm not using any of the converters on either unit. They're not doing anything except sending info to either DP or PT and back to the console.

I wish I could say everything sounds the same, cause I can only use 8 channels of lightpipe from the 001, instead of 24 on the 2408, but the sound is better coming from OSX/PT. Maybe it's not the unit but the system. I wish someone could clarify...
Old 26th March 2003
Mindreader

It could be that Logic 6 for OSX has a 'better' mix bus - or something.

Oh, I don't know. It sounds better to me.
Old 27th March 2003
Well, if you wheren't sending lightpipe out, I was going to say that it sounds better because of a "new" mix bus... but...
Old 1st April 2003
Mindreader

I've just had another report of OSX sounding 'better' from a trusted friend. Even using a completely ****ty audio card in a useless studio he noticed the difference between 9 and X and phoned me to ask 'what's going on - am I goin mad - I could swear....' etc

I'm presently trying to rouse a 'gang' of boffins to help with this ****.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

I bought PT 6 LE for OSX, but returning it due to the configuration on the 001. There only 8 channel of lightpipe, as oppose to 24 on the 2408.

I should be receiving DP4 this week, and I'll post my results. Personally, I think OSX somehow makes audio sound better. I don't know how, but something is changing it.

Imagine
Old 1st April 2003
Imagine,
What model of computer are you using? How stable is your DP/Motu rig?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

I have a Mac dual gig. Never had any problems with it. I'm running DP3 via a 2408, lightpipe to a d8b. The 001 and 2408 are both connected to the d8b via lightpipe. There's a noticeable difference between DP3, and PT 6, but if the units are connected via lightpipe, I didn't think it would make any difference what program is used, but the new system has something to do with it. If it doesn't have anything to do with OSX, then PT sounds better....

Imagine
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

the lightpipe cable, clock... those two can make a difference. especially w ADAT lightpipe. i dont think you are fully isolating the differences to say its either A or B, when it could be C, D, E, F or G.
Old 1st April 2003
Mindreader

Right now here I'm using a 2408 coming from the mac directly into self powered Genelecs from the stereo analogue jack outs.

Sounds better in OSX than 9.
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

alpha,

It's clear as day.

The 2408 and 001 are connected to a d8b via lightpipe. The 2408 is clocked using a Sync II. The 001 doesn't have an independent clock in, but was told the d8b would clock it.

My pres are connected to a Lucid AD9624, connected to the d8bs PDI card. My keyboards/modules to the d8bs line in.

The only comparison I have is playing one way (2408) for 3 years, and then (001) another. Everything in PT on OSX sounds open, more transparent / more depth. The overall sound on EVERY track is better. Even the midi is tighter, but that might have something to do with the Audio Midi Setup in OSX.

Could that have something to do with OSX? I don't know, but I'm sure as hell hearing a difference. I wish I new what it was. I haven't upgraded anything else in my setup.

I know you're a DP user, as I am, and DP4 should arrive any day. I'll be able to compare DP3 (OS9) and DP4 (OSX), and see if OSX is doing anything to enhance the sound, if it isn't, PT would at that point clearly be a step up.
Old 2nd April 2003
Those comments just make me even more curious to try PT 6...
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Jeronimo,

Are you running OSX yet? It may have nothing to do with PT or DP for that matter, and that OSX should take the credit.

What are you using at the moment, and if you can get your hands on a 001/PT6 with OSX, give it a try, and post your results.

Imagine
Old 2nd April 2003
I think I'll order PT 6 soon... but I was waiting the dust to settle first...
I'll see if I can borow a copy from a friend and install it here...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search