The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Virtuavia PCI expansions - a good alternative to overpriced Magma ?
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elof View Post
Just wanted to say that I have been using the PCI to expresscard box (orig. PSU) with a macbook pro (alu) recording two albums. I used it with a motu PCI-x 424 card and 24 I/O and HD192 units. It was rock solid, not a single crash, no drivers needed.
I'm using the same box as you with a 15" MBP alu, but with 2 UAD-1 and a Tc-Powercore, both PCI. Runs perfectly (with only a few headaches from the powercore initially).

Their new box is for PCIe , wich could be useful for running the UAD-2 cards.
Anyway , i emailed them last week, and they said they didn't test them with the UAD-2. So they just offered to take it back if it didn't work. However , they pointed me to an article online about someone successfuly running a Uad2 Duo on their box, so this should probably run a Duo fine, maybe not a Quad...
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Has anyone actually used one of these boxes with the Pro Tools HD PCI cards? In a Mac Pro? Macbook Pro (w/expresscard34)?

This would be killer if it was a substitute for the Magma chassis ... and worked.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Has anyone actually used one of these boxes with the Pro Tools HD PCI cards? In a Mac Pro? Macbook Pro (w/expresscard34)?

This would be killer if it was a substitute for the Magma chassis ... and worked.
That's what the poster just before me is using, PT HD. We're both talking about the virtuavia , not the magma.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Well I'm going to go with this for my hd2 pci. I had the hd expansion now so I am stuck on 8.0.1. I will wait until I see if eucon support comes out and that version of tools supports the pci cards still.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
That's what the poster just before me is using, PT HD. We're both talking about the virtuavia , not the magma.
Reading > me. Thanks thumbsup

This seems like the route I'm leaning towards too. I've got my PCI-X HD2 rig on a G5 right now, and want to take it mobile. If I could trade up to a 17" uni-body Macbook Pro, and use an expansion chassis of whatever brand and the Expresscard34 port, this way I could still use my PCI cards with the latest version of tools and OSX, and be able to plug it all in to a laptop so I can travel with it.

Lets see if the future Avid releases puts a kibosh on that idea ....
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Addict

Great post. I hope the shipping to US isn't too much. I think I will use these to add PCI slots to a mac mini!
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried this on a mac?

Hello

I would like to run a Powercore PCI on the Mac Pro PCIe machine. Has anybody had any experience with this card adapter? I contacted the company but received a rather cryptic response.....any first hand users out there?

PCI Express to PCI Adapter

Regards

Krzysztof
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Addict

Just wanted to clarify: I was NOT using protools cards. It was a MOTU 424 card with 24 I/O and HD192 boxes, sorry about that.
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpassfilter View Post
Great post. I hope the shipping to US isn't too much. I think I will use these to add PCI slots to a mac mini!
No, you can't do that. The mac mini has no expresscard port , nor pci ports.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Nut

Hey Gearslutz,

Based on this thread and some others that seemed promising I went ahead and ordered the Virtuavia Kit for my PT HD System. I was never able to find anyone that confirmed PT HD working so here is my configuration:

Early 2009 8-Core Nehalem Mac Pro
OSX 10.6.5
HD3 (PCI-X) cards.
Tested with Protools 8.0.4 and 8.1
The Virtuavia PCI-E card is in the second slot in my Mac Pro, adjacent to the video card.
PC Case with 24 pin ATX connector, 500 watt PS.

Basically, it works. So far I have only tried creating a 96 voice session and cloning a single track audio 95 times, which results in around 50% pci load and works fine. I believe this to be pretty much normal behavior. I also have a MacBook Pro, so I might have to break down and try out the ExpressCard adapter as well just for fun. If there are any other sorts of torture tests you would like me to run, just let me know.

I realize this thread is kind of old but I wanted folks to know this is possibly a viable option.
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeba View Post
Hey Gearslutz,

Based on this thread and some others that seemed promising I went ahead and ordered the Virtuavia Kit for my PT HD System. I was never able to find anyone that confirmed PT HD working so here is my configuration:

OSX 10.6.5
HD3 (PCI-X) cards.
The Virtuavia PCI-E card is in the second slot in my Mac Pro, adjacent to the video card.

Basically, it works. So far I have only tried creating a 96 voice session and cloning a single track audio 95 times, which results in around 50% pci load and works fine. I believe this to be pretty much normal behavior. I also have a MacBook Pro, so I might have to break down and try out the ExpressCard adapter as well just for fun. If there are any other sorts of torture tests you would like me to run, just let me know.

I realize this thread is kind of old but I wanted folks to know this is possibly a viable option.
Did you try Protools 9 with the Virtua Via kit? How is running all by now?
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocinco View Post
I have not yet upgraded to PT 9 so I can't comment on that. Considering that other people are using expansion chassis successfully with PT 9, I think its highly likely that it would be just fine.
Old 21st February 2011
Quote:
if 8 (and particularly 8.1) works fine with this PCI box, then 9 will do as well - it's basically the same thing.

Note that you will get NO support from Avid using this thing of course, if it doesn't work...which may or may not be important to you...
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

What About running in you MacbookPro with an expresscard, tigeba?
Old 2nd March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey Gearslutz,

OSX 10.6.5
HD3 (PCI-X) cards.

Hi all,
I have been running a power supply modded VirtuaVia chassis:
Protools 8.0.3 HD2
2 UAD-1 cards
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
2.8Ghz Octo core early 2008 Mac Pro

Where it has helped me from having to cop a Magma pe6r4 solution I can't get more than 48 tracks set up in the Playback engine of Protools or I get the "Achtung, you suck" Kernel panic black screen.
Now Tigeba is getting more out of his tig but he has HD3, and a Nehalem Core Cpu... I wonder if this accounts for the increased voice count?
I am going to check out which pci-e slot I have the virtua card in... there may just be more hope in holding out to not spend 1500.00$ on a Magma OEM kit!
Any thoughts?
I just found that VirtuaVia now has an OEM ATX kit to more easily build your own and an ATX case and power supply

Thanks,
AL
Old 13th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
What About running in you MacbookPro with an expresscard, tigeba?
Now I have the Virtua Via ATX box , and I ´m trying to do it runs with my Macbookpro through a expresscard. My first problem: the ATX box turns off when my Macbookpro starts , but only with the HD Core inserted , when I do it without the HD core all runs and the MacBookPro can see the expansion PCi.
As I can see the Protools HD cards conectors are double large than the Pci slots of the chasis , this is correct? , Could you send photos of you configuration Tigeba?
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Now I have the Virtua Via ATX box , and I ´m trying to do it runs with my Macbookpro through a expresscard. My first problem: the ATX box turns off when my Macbookpro starts , but only with the HD Core inserted , when I do it without the HD core all runs and the MacBookPro can see the expansion PCi.
As I can see the Protools HD cards conectors are double large than the Pci slots of the chasis , this is correct? , Could you send photos of you configuration Tigeba?
I have an older MacBook Pro, but I did not yet purchase the external cable to try this configuration. Yes the PTHD card connectors are physically PCI-X and they will sort of hang over the back of normal PCI connectors, but this is electronically not a problem.
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Guys! As a DAW builder/seller, I really had high hopes for these products and I tested them extensively. Sadly I found them to be really hit/miss performance-wise. I don't recommend them for Pro Tools hardware. For native stuff, the work ok sometimes... but don't "like" multiple's of the same card.

They definitely don't like UA cards. Anyway... I wish they were more reliable because they are a cool idea for less than a Magma, or even my own expander (PCIe to PCIe 7 slot only).... but I have to recommend you be wary.

JMTC.
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have an older MacBook Pro, but I did not yet purchase the external cable to try this configuration. Yes the PTHD card connectors are physically PCI-X and they will sort of hang over the back of normal PCI connectors, but this is electronically not a problem.
I have tryed in an older Mac pro trough the PCIe card and it happens the same thing , when the Digidesign card (anyone of them , core or process accel card) is inside, the expansion chasis turns off when the computer starts, and without the digidesign card it runs well and it´s recognicez by OSX. I´m sure that it has to be a Power supply problem, but I don´t understand it , because I bought the 500W option and in the box is typed 480W on the power suply.
Any mod, change posible of the power supply?
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have tryed in an older Mac pro trough the PCIe card and it happens the same thing , when the Digidesign card (anyone of them , core or process accel card) is inside, the expansion chasis turns off when the computer starts, and without the digidesign card it runs well and it´s recognicez by OSX. I´m sure that it has to be a Power supply problem, but I don´t understand it , because I bought the 500W option and in the box is typed 480W on the power suply.
Any mod, change posible of the power supply?

One thing I would point out is that I am not using the the all-in-one Expansion + Powersupply thing they sell. I purchased the board only set from them and put the whole thing in a normal PC case with an ATX power supply.
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
One thing I would point out is that I am not using the the all-in-one Expansion + Powersupply thing they sell. I purchased the board only set from them and put the whole thing in a normal PC case with an ATX power supply.
I have tried now with another power supply , and it must be a short circuit with this way of wired in this case and the digidesign cards. Could you help me, please? Could you show me point by point all your wired connections with photos? I feel Im so close to the solution.....
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

Please, Could you tell me how is your digidesign HD core? My own one is: HD Card Made in china © 2001 All rights reserved
FAB: 941008574-00 REV D

ASY: 915008574-00 REV J
Old 17th March 2011
Here for the gear

New questiion:
Your cards are HD process or HD accel? Could be the accel ones don´t run and the older yes?
Tomorrow i will try a set of older HD cards. my last chance to make it run or send Back the kit to Virtua Via.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
New questiion:
Your cards are HD process or HD accel? Could be the accel ones don´t run and the older yes?
Tomorrow i will try a set of older HD cards. my last chance to make it run or send Back the kit to Virtua Via.
My cards are non-accel cards.
Old 18th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
My cards are non-accel cards.
Itried with older HD cards and had the same problem, there is a shortcircuit that turns off the Virtua Via Kit when I start the computer. I can´t understand why, and Why it runs to another people. Could be the PCie card inside the computer the one that has any diferent, Could you upload photos about it, I´m deseperated
Old 19th March 2011
Here for the gear

I´m ivestigating in the numbers of the cards my VirtuaVia card has the next numbers printed in the mainboard:
19114 REV.C

And my OSX system recognizes it with these:
ID del fabricante: 0x104c
ID del dispositivo 0x8231
ID de la revisión: 0x0003
Anchura del enlace: x1
Velocidad de enlace: 2.5 GT/s

I have know a man that has running another kit without problems and his system tells him these numbers:
ID del fabricante: 0x8086
ID del dispositivo: 0xb154
ID de la revisión: 0x0000

Could you tell what are the numbers of your card , As we can see there is a diferent revision numbers and could be there the diference.
Old 19th March 2011
Here for the gear

hi rojocinco here same problem!
Old 20th March 2011
Here for the gear

After hours I disconnected the chassis from the mac pro, I tryed to power the chassis with the HD core card installed without wiring with the computer.
Just the chassis with the Core card inserted and the problem there is the same!
I think there is not compatibility from The Virtuavia chassis and Hd core card. I tryed to power the chassis without any pci card and it seems to work well. I Tryed also to power the chassis with one old pci sound card and also here the chassis appears correctly powered
I sended an email to Raff of Virtuavia to ask news or i ask to send all the stuff back
Let me know if you have any news?
Old 20th March 2011
Here for the gear

rojocinco my core card have this number:
FAB... rev F
ASY... rev L
and my Virtuavia motherboard have this number:
19114 REV.C
We have same problem!
Very very very strange!
Maybe the Virtuavia motherboard is a new version?
I just send an e mail to ask this particular to the Virtuavia.
Let me know if you will find the way to resolve.
Ciao
Old 21st March 2011
Here for the gear

There is more people with this problem but I have known a man who is working with Virtua Via an HD2 with a Macbookpro and a MacPro without problems. Next week I will meet with him to try all my components and compare with all of him to know which is the one that fails.

All looks to be a mainboard that isn´t the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search