The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EZ Drummer - Superior Drummer 2.0 ..
Old 7th November 2008
  #1
Here for the gear
 

EZ Drummer - Superior Drummer 2.0 ..

Been using EZ Drummer full package for some time , is the Superior version 2.0 any better or is it worth the upgrade ? its been almost perfect for me with EZ but you know ,any extra plugins or interesting tweaks & sounds is always a plus if its really worth it !

Another thing regarding post production , there are two SONY Pictures sound effects packages out there , 1 is full 10 cds & the other is 2 separate packs ... anyone used those & helped them out big time or are they like the ones we find online ? talking about high quality foley sounds ..
Show replies
Old 7th November 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
What I mean is - if EZ is working for you right now - don't screw with the flow.
With that said - Superior 2 is an awesome upgrade from where you are.
It is absolutely worth the money (IMHO)
Hope this helps.
Take care.
Show replies
Old 7th November 2008 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
Magic's Avatar
 

Get Superior Drummer 2.0 asap. It's waaay better than EZ
Show replies
Old 7th November 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
MikeTSH's Avatar
I'm getting it for Xmas - it's definitely going to be worth the money!
Show replies
Old 7th November 2008 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Jamzone's Avatar
 

No comparison what so ever IMO. Superior IS superior.

///Jamzone
Show replies
Old 7th November 2008 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

superior 2.0... definitely.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 

woah ! is it that good thought it might be lil extra good but.. I guess im gettin it .. thanx
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Nut
S2.0 is really good and definitley worth the mony, but I still use and really enjoy Vintage Rock and Nashville, too. A solid line of products.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Head
 

Superior is better in that you can use EZ drummer through it and add EQ and compression, bleed control and what not but i have also notices that EZ sounds more realistic.

YouTube - Circus Maximus - The First Chapter Part 1

I did the begining of this song (the intro cymbal stuff) and it sounded great in EZ but in Superior is sounded very midi and it just sounded like he was hitting it seperately over and over again. where as EZ flowed nicely.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows Within View Post
Superior is better in that you can use EZ drummer through it and add EQ and compression, bleed control and what not but i have also notices that EZ sounds more realistic.

YouTube - Circus Maximus - The First Chapter Part 1

I did the begining of this song (the intro cymbal stuff) and it sounded great in EZ but in Superior is sounded very midi and it just sounded like he was hitting it seperately over and over again. where as EZ flowed nicely.
Funny you mentioned that. I'm still pretty new to S20, but I think I prefer the cymbals in the Nashville kit to those in S20.

I think the two sets compliment each other. I wouldn't want to depend exclusively on either.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 

You can use your EZX's in Superior which is cool. And yes, SD2.0 sounds better, but they're not the same type of product. The workflow are different for the two. You should really look into SD2.0 before you run out and buy it to see that it functions the way you like to work.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
You can use your EZX's in Superior which is cool. And yes, SD2.0 sounds better, but they're not the same type of product. The workflow are different for the two. You should really look into SD2.0 before you run out and buy it to see that it functions the way you like to work.
Ah yes ... hence my comment about 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'


But I again I say - S2 is a top notch product - thus their Superior product!
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Addict
 

I've got both. Haven't really used Superior Drummer yet but EZ Drummer sounds pretty damn good on it's own. I think ToonTrack nailed it right on. They accomplished what they set out to do. Make a drum program that is easy to use and that also sounds great.

I kinda question whether or not a person can make the drums sound better than they already do.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post

I kinda question whether or not a person can make the drums sound better than they already do.
I true that specially on the Nashville Kit !! ..

well , im ganna wait a bit & maybe find a friend who got the Superior 2.0 & try it .. coz EZ's been super to my needs sofar ... thank ya all for the feedback
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_V12 View Post
I true that specially on the Nashville Kit !! ..

well , im ganna wait a bit & maybe find a friend who got the Superior 2.0 & try it .. coz EZ's been super to my needs sofar ... thank ya all for the feedback
I've had superior 2 for a couple of months but still haven't gotten familiar with the EZplayer pro. I HAVE however put Superior 2.0 in placed of EZdrummer as a VST in all the tunes I am currently working on that were started with EZdrummer and the difference is astounding! Just replacing the EZdrummer sounds with 2.0 sounds brought the songs 3 tiers higher. The 2.0 sounds sit so much better in the mix and sound so much more real.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
I've had superior 2 for a couple of months but still haven't gotten familiar with the EZplayer pro. .
Same here. Don't use it at all.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by savelyev View Post
any info links, etc.
Toontrack Support Forum
Show replies
Old 9th November 2008 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Same here. Don't use it at all. [EZ Player Pro]

If you are REALLY, REALLY bored ... you could always check out this video

Goofin On EZ Player Pro & S2 (part 1)

and

Goofin' On EZ Player Pro & S2 (part 2)

But you have to be really bored to check it out!

Take care
Show replies
Old 9th November 2008 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farout View Post
If you are REALLY, REALLY bored ... you could always check out this video

Goofin On EZ Player Pro & S2 (part 1)

and

Goofin' On EZ Player Pro & S2 (part 2)

But you have to be really bored to check it out!

Take care
I definitely WILL check them out! But not right now. I'll add them to my bookmark bar (where my check out links are) and have a look later. If they're really bad I'll hunt you down and ask for my time back

(Thanks for posting thumbsup )
Show replies
Old 9th November 2008 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 

*tips hat*
yes, sir.
Show replies
Old 10th November 2008 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 

I only have one thing to say: Don't EVER come to my neighborhood and sell chocolate! heh
Show replies
Old 10th November 2008 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
davew's Avatar
 

the program has some nice sounds, however machine gun sounding rolls kills it for me. i spent quite a lot of cash converting the drums to electric (once again) only to face major disappointment once again. damn, i guess being a real drummer means i'll never give in fully to the dark side. i've gone back to acoustic again! no turning back either! not to say i won't sample a splash, or some percussion at times!
Show replies
Old 10th November 2008 | Show parent
  #23
EZdrummer or Superior?

I find the random hits feature leads to zero 'machine gun' effect.
Show replies
Old 10th November 2008 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
electropoet's Avatar
 

Something to consider if your using midi drums. Toontrack solo has an e-drum setting which allows for better functionality with drum pads...it also has a cc offset setting which allows my hi hat sounds to work extremely well. In fact, ez drummer used in with the solo program is hands down the best sounding e-drums I have ever heard or used...i was stoked.

As of Now...if you pipe easy drummer into your favorite sequencer...those two functions are not available. Sad but true. The hat functionality sucks compared to using it with the solo program...its kind of unbelievable really. On the toontrack web board there is some talk that this may be included in a future update...but right now using ezdrummer when piped through a sequencer sounds very poor...the triggering plain sucks...especially on the hi hat (i use a hart epedal hi hat w/ stand and TD-12).

Interestingly (or not)...superior 2 has extremely advanced midi settings...so while I am contemplating a move to 2.0, I understand that using this program will more or less give the same performance (or better) than with solo...and certainly better than ezdrummer as a plug-in...which probably explains why they haven't incorporated into the ezdrummer plug-in.

So...from my standpoint...ezdrummer is a great sounding drum sampler for e-drums...and the functionality is great when using solo, but poor when using it as a plug-in. Getting 2.0 supposedly solves this problem with enhanced e-drum features...and if it does...I will be a happy man.

-s
Show replies
Old 11th November 2008 | Show parent
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropoet View Post
So...from my standpoint...ezdrummer is a great sounding drum sampler for e-drums...and the functionality is great when using solo, but poor when using it as a plug-in.
I think you might have that about face.
EZdrummer is not optimized for e-drums, and works very well as a plug-in .
From the EZdrum FAQ:

'There are no specific support for triggering edrums with EZdrummer as a sound source.

Drum modules that adhere to the GM specifications should trigger the appropriate sounds in most cases or with very little setup but the sampler is completely unoptimized for specialist triggering such as electronic drums.

You may however couple EZdrummer with Toontrack solo to improve the EZdrummer response to your Edrum, you may nonetheless be required to adjust some triggers inside your module but hihat response should be significantly smoother.'


People are however using EZdrummer with e-drums very successfully:

YouTube - Trigger EZDrummer With Electronic Drums!
Show replies
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Hi everyone - I thought I was sold on SD 2.0 but I'm now torn between EZDrummer and Superior 2.0 and could really use some advice based on how I'll be using it and the sound I want.

For starters, I don't play drums and probably never will so e-drums is not necessary for me. I also have some effects that I've already invested in so don't need their effects either.

The sound I'm chasing is sometimes nice, quiet drums stuff (think soft Beatles or indie music). I'll almost never be doing stadium rock-type stuff, but also write a lot of ELO-style music so will want to be able to get that warm, polished 70s sound with drums that sound big, but not because they're loud, if that makes any sense. Again, as I don't play drums, I need access to a lot of midi grooves choices. Lastly, I'll likely be buying the vintage and nashville kits too.

I don't mind investing the $300 in Superior 2.0, but don't know if it's worth the extra $200 over EZdrummer.

Would love any insight from anyone as to why one would be better for my needs over the other? Thanks to all - I really appreciate it!
Show replies
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmua View Post
Hi everyone - I thought I was sold on SD 2.0 but I'm now torn between EZDrummer and Superior 2.0 and could really use some advice based on how I'll be using it and the sound I want.

For starters, I don't play drums and probably never will so e-drums is not necessary for me. I also have some effects that I've already invested in so don't need their effects either.

The sound I'm chasing is sometimes nice, quiet drums stuff (think soft Beatles or indie music). I'll almost never be doing stadium rock-type stuff, but also write a lot of ELO-style music so will want to be able to get that warm, polished 70s sound with drums that sound big, but not because they're loud, if that makes any sense. Again, as I don't play drums, I need access to a lot of midi grooves choices. Lastly, I'll likely be buying the vintage and nashville kits too.

I don't mind investing the $300 in Superior 2.0, but don't know if it's worth the extra $200 over EZdrummer.

Would love any insight from anyone as to why one would be better for my needs over the other? Thanks to all - I really appreciate it!
I'd recommend getting EZdrummer first. And right now, they have a Buy One EZX get another FREE promo in December.

You can Buy EZdrummer for 150, Vintage for 80, and get Nashville for free. These are the kits I use mostly and I do Beatlesque, indie, classic rock, 70s stuff as well.
Vintage is the kit I use for most stuff, and sometimes I fire up another instance of EZD and add elements from the Nashville kit like the kick drum (adds a nice clicky accent to the more thumpy, thuddy kicks in the Vintage Kit).

The reason I say get EZD first, is you'll probably keep using EZD even if you someday get S2.0. Sometimes just getting going quickly is what you want, and EZD is great for that. No hassle, really good sounds with little effort. Most people have have both still use EZD, so you're not throwing your money away by any means.

And when you're ready (if you decide you want it), you can Crossgrade to Superior for about $229 instead of the normal $299.

I have been thinking about buying S2.0 for months and months, but, honestly, EZD has been doing exactly what I want it to do, so for me, I'm kind of on that "ain't broke, don't fix" ride.
Show replies
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I'd recommend getting EZdrummer first. And right now, they have a Buy One EZX get another FREE promo in December..
I am on the EZ Drummer website now, and I do not see any reference to this promo.

Can you point my dumb ass in the right direction? I will certainly add Nashville and Claustrophobic to my kits.
Show replies
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Nut
 

Thanks skiltrip! Have other users on this thread had the same experience.

Regarding the promotion, if you go to Guitars, Musical Instruments, and Musical Equipment from Guitar Center and do a search for the expansion packs, they have a link to the rebate. And ezdrummer is only $99!
Show replies
Old 4th December 2008 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmua View Post
Thanks skiltrip! Have other users on this thread had the same experience.

Regarding the promotion, if you go to Guitars, Musical Instruments, and Musical Equipment from Guitar Center and do a search for the expansion packs, they have a link to the rebate. And ezdrummer is only $99!
To the OP:

Dude, $99 + $79 + free EZX. You can have EZD/Vintage/Nashville for $178. Wish I'd gotten that deal. I bought them all separate! Do it!

Then you can upgrade to S2.0 if you want for $229 (and get ANOTHER EZX free if you do it this month).

EZD + Vintage + Nashville + Funkmasters (newest ezx) + S2.0 for $400. Yowzers!
Show replies
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 67 views: 11584
Avatar for icecubeman
icecubeman 24th April 2012
replies: 242 views: 30986
Avatar for tuttoo
tuttoo 31st March 2015
replies: 74 views: 14406
Avatar for hello people
hello people 5th November 2019
replies: 1109 views: 130484
Avatar for Roadside
Roadside 12th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump