The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EZ Drummer - Superior Drummer 2.0 ..
Old 2nd January 2010 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
do you have a link to that nanopad + ezdrummer + ezx deal? only can find ezdrummer by itself for $99....
I don't see them at Guitar Center, either. So far, I've only found them at Sweetwater. Hopefully it's a Korg/Toontrack collaboration, and not just a short-term Sweetwater thing.
Show replies
Old 3rd January 2010 | Show parent
  #62
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Regarding that overly compressed/processed sound.. I just installed the Metal Foundry SDX and some hours later (6 DVDs... 33 GB...) I have a ****load of fairly unprocessed kicks and snares to choose from. Great stuff!
SD 2.0 on Pro Tools LE/WinXPsp2/4 GB RAM crashes all the time (MS Visual C++ runtime error, crash to desktop) because of some memory problems I guess, but the first minute that I can play with the sounds (before the crash), it sounds good.
Show replies
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
do you have a link to that nanopad + ezdrummer + ezx deal? only can find ezdrummer by itself for $99....
Sorry it is actually Sweetwater that has the deal.
Show replies
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
s_sibs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Regarding that overly compressed/processed sound.. I just installed the Metal Foundry SDX and some hours later (6 DVDs... 33 GB...) I have a ****load of fairly unprocessed kicks and snares to choose from. Great stuff!
SD 2.0 on Pro Tools LE/WinXPsp2/4 GB RAM crashes all the time (MS Visual C++ runtime error, crash to desktop) because of some memory problems I guess, but the first minute that I can play with the sounds (before the crash), it sounds good.
What size kit are you trying to load? Some of the Combined Presets in TMF are pretty massive in RAM usage. Any DAW in XP will only see about 2GB of RAM regardless of how much your system has. C++ errors are usually caused by running out of RAM. Have you tried loading smaller kits or followed the advice of the latest S2 manual with tips on reducing RAM loads?

Personally, if I plan on having any other VSTis loaded in my project, I set the RAM limit in S2 to about 1000MB (or less) to avoid crashing my host.
Show replies
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
  #65
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
What size kit are you trying to load? Some of the Combined Presets in TMF are pretty massive in RAM usage. Any DAW in XP will only see about 2GB of RAM regardless of how much your system has. C++ errors are usually caused by running out of RAM. Have you tried loading smaller kits or followed the advice of the latest S2 manual with tips on reducing RAM loads?

Personally, if I plan on having any other VSTis loaded in my project, I set the RAM limit in S2 to about 1000MB (or less) to avoid crashing my host.
I am currently updating to Win7 64-bit to utilize my currently installed (and more to come) RAM, even for 32-bit apps like PTLE 8.0.3.
The crashes occurred when loading larger kits (> 800 MB) like those of the Metal Foundry SDX. I will try to fiddle with the layer limit, but to be honest I did not understand the manual about this. What exactly does the "gradient layer limit" limit? I understood that it has something to do with those alternate samples that reduce the machine gun effect, correct?
Show replies
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
  #66
To audition the presets and use less RAM, just enable 16 bit mode.

Rail
Show replies
Old 5th January 2010
  #67
Here for the gear
 

Superior Drummer 2.2

is definitely worth the upgrade. Also, consider the NY and Vintage Expansion packs. You'll never need another drum VST.
Show replies
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
  #68
Gear Addict
 

So much for the bundled deals. They've completely disappeared from Sweetwater.
Show replies
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Long View Post
A lot of the demos showing off the Slate Drums are from 3.0 before the new programming and anti machine gun mode was implemented. We've been meaning to redo all the demos with the 3.5 engine but its a lot of work since there are so many of them and the only difference as you said, is on the fills. After seeing your post, I'll make sure we get to it this week.

With 3.5 snare fills sound really good, our programmer Alex did a really nice job with the anti machine gun code.
aw it should say that on the site, after hearing the demos i bought superior drums. not that it doesnt sound great, but knowing that would have made my decision trickier lol...

Quote:
But Superior is a great drum app too and it might work well for you.
a true gentleman...!
im still considering getting SSD EX just for that bonham kit....not tooo expensive at $99!
btw Marty, is that $99 price likely to change in the near future?
Show replies
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
  #70
Here for the gear
 

i have ezdrummer and looked at the demo to superior and i have to say i'm just gonna stick with ezdrummer. i'm a guitarist and songwriter, no one would listen to my songs for drum virtuosity so i'm not looking to get too into the drums. just something that sounds nice and keeps the beat and if that's all you want ezdrummer is for you. also someone mentioned on the first page the workflow is very different in superior. in ezdrummer i never read any manuals and figured it all out. i look at superior and it just doesn't follow the same intuitiveness and again, since i'm not looking to make drums a featured part of my sound i'm just not frankly interested in learning it.

if you have ezdrummer and like it - leave it alone. try to spend your time perfecting your sound or writing better songs, those will take you further than perfecting superior drummer skills.
Show replies
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
  #71
Here for the gear
 

people have this thing with always wanting the best even if they've perfected how to use what they have. if superior drummer was called "Just As Good Drummer" or "Sufficiently Adequate Drummer" you would say "i'll stick with ezdrummer". you can get further along with what ezdrummer provides. now other's might need superior or simply like it more or maybe don't have ezdrummer, that's a different story. but if you have ezdrummer then don't mess with a good thing. if you were that concerned about your drum sounds you'd be a drummer or you'd be working with a real drummer.
Show replies
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Quick question to the experts while this is up, I have all the plugs and tracks I need for making stuff sound good (and do that with EZdrummer outputs) , but I'm about to record a drummer using a Roland edrum kit and I believe it's a lot easier to replace his midi drums if I have superior, but I'm not sure why. Also, I'm wondering if I can use the stand alone Tonntrack solo to get around this somehow since it's supposed to be an interface for edrums. Haven't looked into it yet because it's a couple of weeks off - any advice appreciated! Many thanks
Show replies
Old 17th June 2011 | Show parent
  #73
The easiest thing to do is record his midi, monitor with the v-drum sounds, then dial up a drum sound using Superior or EZdrummer once the midi is recorded.
It's perfectly possible with EZdrummer, just that there is no midi learn facility. So you can easil;y interface the v-drums with Superior and get all the right sounds triggered by the right pads. EZdrummer is set to 'GM Expanded'.
So you may have to move some midi notes after the fact.
It's not that hard IMO.
Show replies
Old 19th June 2011 | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The easiest thing to do is record his midi, monitor with the v-drum sounds, then dial up a drum sound using Superior or EZdrummer once the midi is recorded.
It's perfectly possible with EZdrummer, just that there is no midi learn facility. So you can easil;y interface the v-drums with Superior and get all the right sounds triggered by the right pads. EZdrummer is set to 'GM Expanded'.
So you may have to move some midi notes after the fact.
It's not that hard IMO.
Thanks Chrisso - much appreciated
Show replies
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
  #75
Gear Nut
 

Anyone Know if can SKIP installing the HUGE S2 Libraries?

I have all the sounds i want w EZ (Nash, Vintage, Latin Perc) and i dont want to throw away 25 gig on stuff i dont want.

Was thinking on S2 for JUST the Extra Flex and poss better Flex when used as Plug in DAW, but basically i like EZ fine (but sometime notice Midi or Artificial Sterilility - so the Xtra HUMAN Functions may help)

Opinions on the Humanize additions in S2 - better ?

---------

Off topic a little - whats the Easiest way to Edit Midi loops that come with EZ-S2? Ex: if i want to add or drop a Kick on the 3rd (in 4/4), like w Reggae styles. Im using Reaper, but so far havent figured an EASY way to do it in Piano Roll...



thanks!
Show replies
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzoe View Post
Anyone Know if can SKIP installing the HUGE S2 Libraries?

I have all the sounds i want w EZ (Nash, Vintage, Latin Perc) and i dont want to throw away 25 gig on stuff i dont want.

Was thinking on S2 for JUST the Extra Flex and poss better Flex when used as Plug in DAW, but basically i like EZ fine (but sometime notice Midi or Artificial Sterilility - so the Xtra HUMAN Functions may help)

Opinions on the Humanize additions in S2 - better ?

---------

Off topic a little - whats the Easiest way to Edit Midi loops that come with EZ-S2? Ex: if i want to add or drop a Kick on the 3rd (in 4/4), like w Reggae styles. Im using Reaper, but so far havent figured an EASY way to do it in Piano Roll...



thanks!
There's no need to install any Superior content if you don't want to. Once you register your serial number on the Toontrack site, you can just download the Superior Drummer plugin. Then use it to work with your EZX libraries.

For your off-topic thing, once you drag a groove into your DAW, in your case, Reaper, you just move the notes around in the MIDI editor. I don't use Reaper, so I can't tell you exactly which tools need to be selected to move and manipulate notes, but it can't be too hard.
Show replies
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
  #77
Gear Nut
 

also, anyone know if the 16bit Samples of EZXs (like Nashville, Vintage Kit etc) stay 16bit in s2? or is there 24bit versions you get for that?

for ex: S2 says its 24bit, EZ is 16bit, and its a little vague as to if the EZX's resample in S2 or if there are Diff 24bit files of EZX's or if you are just STUCK w 16bit for your EZX's ?

thanks!
Show replies
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
  #78
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
There's no need to install any Superior content if you don't want to. Once you register your serial number on the Toontrack site, you can just download the Superior Drummer plugin. Then use it to work with your EZX libraries.

For your off-topic thing, once you drag a groove into your DAW, in your case, Reaper, you just move the notes around in the MIDI editor. I don't use Reaper, so I can't tell you exactly which tools need to be selected to move and manipulate notes, but it can't be too hard.

thanks - im getting the DVD, i am wondering if it allows the same option re: content or just the program ?
Show replies
Old 16th March 2012
  #79
Lives for gear
 

As I recall the S2 installer gives you the option to install just the plugin. Worst case scenario is it starts the library install and you abort it, or just let it finish and then delete the libraries. <shrug>

As for 16bit EZX in Superior; I believe the the instruments play back in 16 bit but render to 24 (assuming your DAW project is running at 24).
Show replies
Old 17th March 2012 | Show parent
  #80
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows Within View Post
i have also notices that EZ sounds more realistic.
I noticed this too. I use Superior drummer with the EZ kits only if I need to mess with the bleed control. Something about EZ drummer sounds a little more together and punchy than Superior for some reason.

Both are great though! I use them mainly for augmenting real drum using the room sound on the snare and toms.
Show replies
Old 17th March 2012
  #81
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzoe View Post
thanks - im getting the DVD, i am wondering if it allows the same option re: content or just the program ?
If you're getting the DVDs, you don't even need to use them if you don't want the Avatar library installed. Just look for your serial number in the package and register it on the Toontrack site. You'll be able to download the latest version of Superior Drummer and install it. No need to even use the disks.
Show replies
Old 17th March 2012 | Show parent
  #82
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzoe View Post
... you are just STUCK w 16bit for your EZX's ?
They are always 16-bit, and so they take longer load in a 24-bit session. Superior doesn't seem to improve the sample load time for EZX's.

EDIT: Although sound-wise, I don't think there's a very significant difference. The 24-bit deal is great for the lower noise floor during recording. But once it's been recorded and optimized, I think the results are neigh to indistinguishable. It's the load time that is more of a pain to deal with.
Show replies

Last edited by PFRfan; 17th March 2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Extra thoughts
Old 26th November 2012
  #83
Here for the gear
 

Hi everyone,
I think All depends on the purpose or what you are planning to do. If you are trying to get a good sound without doing anything to it. I will say Superior D. But if you are actually mixing, EZ drummer will be enough, because you can put everything in separate tracks and get the sound that you want to (Adding compressor, Eq, etc) on your DAW. Good luck!
Show replies
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 67 views: 11584
Avatar for icecubeman
icecubeman 24th April 2012
replies: 242 views: 30986
Avatar for tuttoo
tuttoo 31st March 2015
replies: 74 views: 14406
Avatar for hello people
hello people 5th November 2019
replies: 1109 views: 130488
Avatar for Roadside
Roadside 12th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump