The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Autotune EVO vs Melodyne
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Autotune EVO vs Melodyne

If I get Autotune EVO and upgrade t PT8, do you think I will need Melodyne?

I hear they improved the graphical mode in the new Autotune.

Also, I hate using a separate app and prefer things inside PT.

Has anyone compared the new AT's graphical control to Melodyne?
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a friendly bump.... really looking to get some feedback on these two.
Old 29th October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just upgraded to Evo and have Melodyne.
I greatly preffer using Auto-Tune generally but Evo has just made it a non contest. As far as upcomming Melodyne features I'd need to see some major improvemevts on ease of use with Pro Tools HD and sound quality not just more gimmics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile just to throw a spanner in...

have you tried wavestune?

i think its sounds better than autotune and melodyne and i have autotune evo as well but ended up using wavestune - sounds better imho...

peace
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been blown away by the fact that Melodyne is working on polyphonic pitch correction algorhythms....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
I've been blown away by the fact that Melodyne is working on polyphonic pitch correction algorhythms....

It blows my mind but personally I don't have many applications where it would seem practical. Still amazed though!

I've used Autotune(not evo), Melodyne, and Waves Tune. Waves Tune has been my favorite thus far, with ease of use and transparency as my priorities.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And then there is Mu-Voice and Vielklang.
Audio Alchemist

Melodyne is collecting dust in a corner here.

Antares Auto-Tune is what I use.

The new Auto-Tune EVO is nice.. but if they could just make it bug free. There's a brand new update yesterday, I hope that fixes it.

Antares Download Software Updates

For those who haven't updated from Auto-Tune 4 or 5 to EVO, it's basically the same sound you're used to but the tracking is slightly better and more natural. And some extra features I don't really use :-)
Old 30th October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool.. I think I'll just upgrade to EVO then.

Hopefully they made the graphic mode easier to use.
JPZ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have and use both. AT EVO is cool for realtime but I MUCH prefer Melodyne for really pitch correcting something. No contest.

🎧 10 years
when done properly, AT doesn't affect the top end in the same way melodyne does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
when done properly, AT doesn't affect the top end in the same way melodyne does.
Agree, Melodyne is affecting the sound quality, loosing sparkle and shine even before doing any picth corrections. The Auto Tune is sounding perfectly transparent and after some hours with the graphical interface you will see that it is pretty easy to work with.
I was kind of disappointed with the EVO update though. As I use the graphical mode most of the time I couldnΒ΄t hear any differences in the "better tracking algorithm" and the new features with formant correction among others are directly taken from the Avox stuff which is more aimed to the kids playground market than to hi end users. When you activate the formant feature you are transfered ten years back in technologytime, sounding even worse than melodyne.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i find with these tools it really is source dependent. i tuned a vocal the other with both melodyne and tune and melodyne sounded a whole lot better!

at the end of the day, tuning sounds crap, it's just about determining which doesn't sound the worst
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Then when you EQ and compress Melodyne artifacts really become apparent.
AT 6 is a mature product and has evolved very well.
Being able to do micro tuning and changing the retune speed at different points are huge plus for AT EVO
I got a really great EVO tutorial AES
Old 31st October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've used the Melodyne plugin in PT a few times at studios where it was available. Does it still create it's own file? This annoyed me. Both melodyne and AT have to "load" into the graphic window. But Melodyne creates it's own file and them plays back from that. I get a lot of stuff to work on that was tracked elsewhere, not by me, and sometimes not free of bad punches, clicks, pops or noises. In Melodyne, everytime I find one, I can't just delete it from the track.......I have to reload that section into the plugin again. On long sessions that can be a slowdowner......especially since the versions of Melodyne I tried always knocked subsequent sections out of whack after loading in small pieces along the way. Was I missing something or has that changed?
JPZ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Melodyne plugin is handy but a bit funny to work with. Both plugs screw with the audio but I get things done much faster with Melodyne
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Agreed, this was also one of the things that put me off Melodyne. The top freqs above 10 kHz seem to suffer a lot.
Old 4th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hear you guys about how Melodyne messes with the sound, but I always end up getting weird squirrrrrrble artifacts when I use Autotune. Did the EVO update get better?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i'm trying to make the decision for a tuning program as well. pitch accuracy for pop singers has become competitive, and I feel that it's unfortunately necessary. Looks like I'm going with EVO because i'm running DP6. good move?
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
I hear you guys about how Melodyne messes with the sound, but I always end up getting weird squirrrrrrble artifacts when I use Autotune. Did the EVO update get better?
Yes, it's tracks better now, avoiding some of the problems in earlier versions.

How are you using Auto-Tune? I rarely have any problems as long as I've manually set each note for either bypass or remove. Then I simply set the correct timing and amount of tuning, works like a charm.

Some people just slap it on or set a preset scale and that won't work well in most cases. Always set the scale manually and spend 3 minutes adjusting the parameters for the best results.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
There's a lot of finetuning to be done whichever program you're using. I find AT to take longer to get a passable result than Melodyne, but generally sounds better in the end. You need to use the graphic mode in AT though - I generally fine Auto sounds..welll...automatic!
Audio Alchemist

I think it also depends a lot on how & why you're using AT.

I only use it for minor corrections so graphic or automatic means little in my case. Automatic is always quicker though, and since it sounds the same with minor tuning going on (and correct settings), that's what I prefer.

I like to work fast and intuitively (time is money after all) and Meldoyne is chopping up my workflow.
Old 5th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well to be fair, I've been on Melodyne for awhile - last time I used Autotune graphic versions ago, it was a disaster. BUT - yeah I do hear that top end thing on Melodyne, which for some projects FINE but more delicate vocals no way.

So I got my Autotune EVO upgrade cuz the marketing video I saw made the new graphic mode seem less intimidating. With regards to Melodyne though, sonic quality aside, I can get EXACTLY what I want and the interface clicks with me perfectly.

I think I'll be using both programs.
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu Mixer View Post
If I get Autotune EVO and upgrade t PT8, do you think I will need Melodyne?

I hear they improved the graphical mode in the new Autotune.

Also, I hate using a separate app and prefer things inside PT.

Has anyone compared the new AT's graphical control to Melodyne?
they are different. AT is good for a quick correction. MD is good for more exacting edits of that sort and other things.
Old 5th November 2008 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
they are different. AT is good for a quick correction. MD is good for more exacting edits of that sort and other things.
I'd have said the other way round!
Old 6th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A bit disappointed here - autotune EVO for me just isn't what I hoped.
took me a few days after i bought it to realize.
maybe i just need to spend more time with it, but i just can't figure out the lines in the antares graphic mode. melodyne seems so self-explanatory to me.

i don't wanna go in an redraw anything - i can figure out how to move the new note/blobs created in autotune. but for any notes that don't fit in those new white squares, i can't fix anything.

perhaps someone can offer me some help or direct me to any tips...
Audio Alchemist

The graphical editing in Auto-Tune sucks big time. It's such a counter-intuitive interface, just like Melodyne sucks too.

Why is it so many software companies don't spend the time making a good interface. They should be forced to hire someone like Jakob Nielsen or at least an outside UI company.

Or hire me! :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yikes!!

How much tuning are you guys doing, to hear artifacts that are THAT obvious?

The great thing about Melodyne plugin is that you can transfer a phrase into the plug then DELETE ALL the words that DON'T need tuning so that the process is only taking place on the odd syllable that NEEDS tuning.

This way you don't notice as the syllable passes in a fraction of a second.

Using automatic mode on any process is ... madness IMHO why bother using a singer, just use a synth for the melody line!

Only tune what you really need to, only tune what jumps out time after time on each pass - NEVER use your eyes to look at the GUI - fatal!

Melodyne is a wonderful tool to cut down on tracking time - but it can't work miracles, bad singers sound bad and WORST with automatic tuning!

TMY
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
The great thing about Melodyne plugin is that you can transfer a phrase into the plug then DELETE ALL the words that DON'T need tuning so that the process is only taking place on the odd syllable that NEEDS tuning.
Have you heard about "automation" :-) You just bypass the auto-tune plug-in via automation. Takes 10 seconds to do on a whole vocal track.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mmmh - 10 seconds for a WHOLE vocal track.

So that's on at the beggining and off at the end - yeah that would be quick. heh

TMY
πŸ“ Reply