The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the samplitude switch
Old 7th May 2005
500 series nutjob

the samplitude switch

thinking of moving to samplitude so those who have made the change are you glad you did?
i just don't like the pt hostage mentality, good business or not, i don't like it.
i my not make the change but i am looking.
i have never had a pc, and this mac has not been my best friend.
Old 7th May 2005
I'm glad I made the switch. I was a mac and protools user for a long, long time. It's not that hard to get a Windows DAW up and running as long as you focus on working combinations of hardware that are proven to work well with audio hardware.

For example, Certain Athlon socket 754 motherboards, used with an Athlon 3400+ or 3700+ processor, compatible (low voltage) video cards, and high quality memory and hard drives will produce a rock-solid configuration. People's problems almost always stem from buying motherboards that are recommended for video games but don't work well with audio hardware and software, or using their audio computer for email and internet, microsoft applications, or gaming.
Old 7th May 2005
Switched at 7x and never looked back.
Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear

I was a DEVOTED Mac user and bought a turneky Sequoia DAW from Jeff at www.sequoiadigital.com Tough learning curve but worth it.

www.digital-groove.com is another source for audio PCs and Dan is a super guy.

Rich
Old 7th May 2005
500 series nutjob

i have been talking to Jeff at www.sequoiadigital.com, and guy at www.sonica-x.com
just a bit worried abut the learning curve and support. both jeff, and guy say they will give any help needed. thats a pulse.
Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear

Jeff got me through the tough parts, and offers 24/7 support. He can even get you a system overnight if you have a meltdown.

He also has the best prices around on Direct-X plugins.

Rich
Old 7th May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
just a bit worried abut the learning curve
I just ordered 8 a week ago. I have not seen it in the mail yet but my biggest fear is the learning curve.

I have been a ProTools user for something like 9 years or so and I know it like the back of my hand. I am hoping to be able to create a bunch of shortcuts in Samp so things will be somewhat like ProTools in everyday use for me.

Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I just ordered 8 a week ago. I have not seen it in the mail yet but my biggest fear is the learning curve.

I have been a ProTools user for something like 9 years or so and I know it like the back of my hand. I am hoping to be able to create a bunch of shortcuts in Samp so things will be somewhat like ProTools in everyday use for me.

Once you're in the Samp mode you will be amazed at how quick it is to mix, track etc. You have to learn your stuff though - there are hundreds of options. All laid out and thought out very well with shortcuts for everything i've ever needed. The time you put into Samp the more you'll get out, unlike some other DAWS i could mention.

In software terms nothing really touches Samplitude or Seqouia for me. Of course there are issues sometimes, but the dev team are usually very fast at responding via their forum or by update patches.

Welcome to the club!
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Another point not yet made is that the EQ, FFT, convolution reverb and other "plugins" are quite usable rather than having to shell out big bucks.

PT is superior in stability when simultaneously recording several dozen tracks at 24/88.2 and higher, but from that point on Samp and Seq run away.

Rich
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare
Another point not yet made is that the EQ, FFT, convolution reverb and other "plugins" are quite usable rather than having to shell out big bucks.

PT is superior in stability when simultaneously recording several dozen tracks at 24/88.2 and higher, but from that point on Samp and Seq run away.

Rich
Not really in a mood to defend Samplitude with it´s none-accomplished basics homework, but the quote above seems not true to me.

Provided same system parameters Samplitude performs cycles around PT.

Ruphus
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

I am no fan of PT but if I needed 32 or 48 tracks of 24/88 or higher a native app like Seq will choke any computer that I can think of.

Rich
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Samplitude played back more than 60 24/96k tracks with my Athlon 1800 and was able to record a dozen 96k tracks at once. PT on the same system couldn´t do a fraction of that even with 44.1 files. ( And that computer was holding the pole position of CPU size to trackcount according to the corresponding threads on DUC / DaveC test.)

Havn´t checked the new track count with my newer 3k CPU on the same board yet, but am currently doing around 30 24/96k tracks with loads of plugs ( heaps of EQs, delays, standard reverbs, transcient shapers and comps ). Only in the moment when I switch on the third convolution reverb with highest resolution engaged playback gets crooky on such a crowded session.

Could it be that the computers you mentioned hadn´t been optimised for DAW?

Ruphus
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Try recording 48 tracks of 24/192, all at the same time. Tell me if Samp doesn't choke (I cannot BELIEVE I am defending PT!!!)

It is a matter of the right tool for the job. I love my Sequoia but I know its limitations.

Rich
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

I never track in 192. Have you changed the format meanwhile? heh ... And maybe the system too? PT LE can´t do 192k I think. So you probably are referring to DSP supported rigs now.

I heard Sequoia to be heavier on the system than Samp BTW.

Ruphus
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Here is link to a topic on the nueno forum, A guy here has tracked 48 tracks at 192 khz on nuendo, and another is talking about 100+ track counts at 96 kHz

http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtop...t=192&start=25

Quote by sonare

"Try recording 48 tracks of 24/192, all at the same time. Tell me if Samp doesn't choke (I cannot BELIEVE I am defending PT!!!)

It is a matter of the right tool for the job. I love my Sequoia but I know its limitations.

Rich"

Pro tools HD cannot even playback 48 channels of 192 khz audio let alone record it simultainiously!!!!

Quote on the digidesign site under the product information about HD accel-

"In fact, Pro Tools|HD Accel is the only multi-channel professional audio workstation to support 36 simultaneous audio tracks at 192 kHz sample rate."
Old 9th May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzski
Welcome to the club!
Thanks.... thumbsup

So will Sam 8 record and play back at 192? I have an older XP1800 machine, will I have any problem playing back 192 tracks and how many do you think I can play (for the record I will be taking basic tracks out of Samp at 192 to a 2 inch machine then coming back on for mixing at 44.1 so I don't need to EQ or anything).

Thanks...
Old 9th May 2005
Most PT HD accel systems can't even play back 30 channels of 24/192. I've only seen one effectively recording more than 24 channels of 24/192 at a time, even running on a G5. At Digidesign's AES show, their computers kept getting fatal crashes when they tried to demo the 36-track recording of HD audio. It was truly embarrasing. $22,000 and you get a box that can't even do what it claims it is the only box that can do what it does (but doesn't do). If that makes any sense.

We've never tried going above 24/96 in samplitude, but have no problems with 36 tracks of that and plenty of plugins. I really have no idea what sonare is talking about, since Samplitude is just as capable at recording as Protools HD. Nuendo seems to outperform both, though (if track count is all you care about), since it can take full advantage of dual Opterons.
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Thanks.... thumbsup

So will Sam 8 record and play back at 192? I have an older XP1800 machine, will I have any problem playing back 192 tracks and how many do you think I can play (for the record I will be taking basic tracks out of Samp at 192 to a 2 inch machine then coming back on for mixing at 44.1 so I don't need to EQ or anything).

Thanks...
Mmm AFAIK max sample rate/bit depth is 96k/32bit.
As far as track count goes, Samplitude has a feature called Trackspeed which the user can play with in order to obtain higher track counts at higher sr's. Ultimately you will need fast drives and a decent mobo to get the best track count.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Check out SAW at www.sawstudio.com. Play with the demo.

I have/had Samp 7 and Sequoia 7 as well as Sonar 4 PE and Cubase. For me SAW has performed the best. It's worth a look. thumbsup
Old 9th May 2005
In V7, Samp is limited to 96k while Sequoia does 192k. Not sure about V8 yet...
Old 9th May 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
i have been talking to Jeff at www.sequoiadigital.com, and guy at www.sonica-x.com
just a bit worried abut the learning curve and support. both jeff, and guy say they will give any help needed. thats a pulse.
it is Scott at http://www.adkproaudio.com/ and Guy not Jeff at www.sequoiadigital.com sorry for the mix up.
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

If your a plug-in guy youll love the analog modeling suite plugs made by the guy who brought you block fish....they are really good
Old 9th May 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
If your a plug-in guy youll love the analog modeling suite plugs made by the guy who brought you block fish....they are really good
hi teach!
what is block fish?
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Actually, Samplitude can do 192K, but you need to manually enter the numbers... The engine for both is the same...

As for the track counts-

Playback and record are two different things. I've played back 48 tracks at 96K on a pretty modest system. If you have a very fast system (full size mobos, perhaps dual processor, lots of ram, fast discs, etc...), you can probably get close, but any DAW system needs a certain amount of DSP dedicated to recording. The advantage of a proprietary system like PTHD is that DSP will always be there. In a native, you need to have your system very lean and very fast to get that to happen. I don't doubt that Nuendo would be a bit better there as Steinberg came up with the ASIO spec. Everybody else is following their lead.

I use Sequoia here and have been for a very long time (since it first hit beta back at 5.6). I get sessions from all over the place and rebuild them here for editing and mixing and I also record straight into the box on a pretty regular basis too. For my big sessions, I use whatever the studio has and then import back. In the past, that usually means Tascam MX-2424, Mackie HDR, or Pro Tools.

There are some things that Sequoia can do that are very cool and pretty much no other DAW can do. Probably the coolest of them is the ability to work at multiple sample rates in a single session- even recording different sample rates in a single session (which is great for mastering). Hint- use the MME drivers (although it is rather buggy in Version 8.1)

Oh well, anybody that knows me will know how much I like the program... I need not say more....

--Ben
Old 10th May 2005
Pan60 - DigitalFishPhones is a freeware set of plugs that's pretty astounding... Their SpitFish de-esser is one of the best around (at *any* price).

They had the guy (who's name I can't remember or probably pronounce) who designed the DFP plugs whip up the Analog Modeling Suite in Samp8.

I haven't messed with it too much, but I'm seriously impressed by the tape emulator... There's a preset called "touch of tape" or something similar that's mindblowing in its subtlety - Not overblown like many other tape-sat plugs. Wonderful "color" plug.
Old 10th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
They had the guy (who's name I can't remember or probably pronounce) .
Sascha. He also did Robota, the drum synth/step seq which comes in V8. Its not revolutionary but its one of the best sounding of its type, with tons of sound shaping possibities. It could easily be released as a VSTi or standalone plugin.

cheers,
Adam
Old 10th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
Pan60 - DigitalFishPhones is a freeware set of plugs that's pretty astounding... Their SpitFish de-esser is one of the best around (at *any* price).
So the version that I tried lately must have been very different.
There was no way to keep it from very dulling the material.
Otherwise I wouldn´t have gone for the SPL de-esser.

Ruphus
Old 10th May 2005
Lives for gear

Sascha's work on the Analog Suite of plugins in version 8 has been nothing short of fantastic. They are really useful plugs (I love the tape simulation- I can add just a touch to warm up a master). Version 8.2 won't be very far out now and I think it will be one of the best releases yet. There will be a heck of a lot of new features introduced- especially since it is a free service release.

--Ben
Old 10th May 2005
Quote:
There will be a heck of a lot of new features introduced- especially since it is a free service release.
May I ask what these new features are please?? I have still not seen my copy of 8 and I am just wondering if I would just do the 8.2 upgrade when I am installing to start with (I guess I should anyway but...). Also I assume the service pack or whatever will be downloadable from their site? If not how do I get it?

Thanks Ben
Old 10th May 2005
Lives for gear

8.2 will almost certainly be a download from the site. Buy 8 and then download the update when it comes.

The big announced updates (what they announced at the Musicmesse show) are a new take manager and Folder tracks. Sascha's also been at work and you'll find more goodies there. heh

--Ben
📝 Reply