The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the samplitude switch
Old 22nd May 2005
Gear Addict

well...i am plagued by a demon.
the "OEBPS" thing?
"OBJECT ENTRY BEHIND PHYSICAL SAMPLE" ....anyone know what the F&^$?
Bug? Windows issue?
i've been on the SAM board, but the best i get are:
your RAM is faulty from tech support. i am switching it out tomorrow AM.
Use a differrent file storing system, back up right after takes before edits...so i dont lose too much work.
Has anyone experienced this issue?
is it my machine? is it Windows? is it Sam?
thanks
Durv
Old 22nd May 2005
Lives for gear

Can be a bad thing... Means your session may be corrupted and somewhere your wav file is different than what the program is referencing.

Did you do any destructive editing? If so, when you go back to your session, it will be referring to sections of a file that no longer exist or are different. The VIP is simply referring to events that happen at specific samples in a file.

--Ben
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Addict

i lost a bunch of takes...
corrupted aint the right word.
"****ED" is the right word.
the takes dont load, rather it loads some other takes from other songs.
couldnt fix it....tried and tried.
If things dont go smoother in SAM land....
off to NUENDO ..or even CUBASE.
Im done being embarrassed.
thanks guys
Durv
Old 23rd May 2005
500 series nutjob

i think i have about been talk into cubes or nuendo.
seems you guys are having way to many bugs for me.
makes me worry.
may i am missing something, but it seem, ( based on what i hear ) there are some issues with samplitude.
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
makes me worry.
may i am missing something, but it seem, ( based on what i hear ) there are some issues with samplitude.
As a happy Sequoia user (which is very similar to Samp) I think it is safe to say that NO software is 100% hassle-free. From time to time you will want to take a sledgehammer to your computer regardless of what software you are running.

When bad stuff happens you must learn how to deal with it, regardless of what business you are in.

Rich
Old 24th May 2005
Gear Nut

Music Notation ?

Does Samplitude or Sequioa have a screen that can show music notation in the same way Sonar or Logic can ?
Old 24th May 2005
Lives for gear

Not that I know of... (Not having used Logic, etc... I assume you mean a score view) The only note view is the midi piano roll view.

As for the bugs... 8.1 is pretty well documented as to the issues... I will say that 8.2 is coming quite soon and many of you should be quite happy with it.

--Ben
Old 25th May 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks Ben,

Score view is what I meant. The reason is that I like to be able to see notes and lyrics in score view when tracking vocals - something which Sonar does very well.

The decision now becomes whether the cost of getting samplitude solely for the purpose of mixing / summing can be justified.

Regards,

John.
Old 25th May 2005
Gear Addict

I'll testify that it sounds great summing wise for ITB mixing.
simply amazing.
but....its got some bugs, but i'm not sure. their tech support say its my system.
old BIOS and old motherboard drivers?
not sure.
Durv
Old 25th May 2005
Magix tends to have a good handle on where the problems reside. I had an extended issue with then that turned out to be caused by a particular Lynx ASIO driver. However, I do wish that Samplitude handled the errant driver more "gracefully," and that the error messages (which had nothing to do with ASIO drivers) better reflected the true problem.

Then again, "DAE error -9523" has never been all that intuitive, either.
Old 26th May 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks Durv,

I'm currently looking at summing options with a view to getting something ITB if possible. The speed and convenience of ITB means a lot to me, as does the quality of sound of course. While it sounds very respectable, I can't say I'm overwhelmed by Sonar's summing and I really want to see if there's something else ( ITB ) that produces a noticable improvement in clarity and stereo imaging.

Looks like I can probably keep using Sonar for composition and tracking then transfer via OMF to Samplitude for summing and basic mastering.

Regards,

John.
Old 26th May 2005
Lives for gear

If you want to transfer to Samp via omf, you'll have to get a copy of EDL Convert Pro. Samp actually doesn't support any other edl formats because this program is inexpensive and has so many features in it...

--Ben
Old 26th May 2005
Gear Addict

SONAR....i have worked with SONAR to some degree.
great for learning if you ask me.
BUT...yes...the SUMMING with SONAR...is well how do i say it....
FLAT.
it has no depth to it.
which REALLY is noticeable when you simply even IMPORT something in SAM and playback.
I am hoping all the bugs are worked out with 8.2
i updated ALL my drivers and so forth. brand new MEMORY and latest CHIPSET drivers for my MOBO.
we shall see.

Durv
Old 27th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv
well...i am plagued by a demon.
the "OEBPS" thing?
"OBJECT ENTRY BEHIND PHYSICAL SAMPLE" ....anyone know what the F&^$?
Bug? Windows issue?
I used to run into this many times in Samp 7. It has something to do with deleting the object and then recording over the deleted space.

Then I started backing up my session every time using 'write complete VIP to...'.

After that, if I ever ran into the error I would load the backup and it was fine, cause apparently it did the correct data scrubbing when saving.

Now I don't ever delete objects then record over the same space in the track. And I've never seen the error since.

Stupid bug, definitely.
Old 27th May 2005
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
makes me worry.
Since you asked for a comparison with PT, Nuendo, etc., I'll say that PT is the low man on the totem pole in terms of sonics, the VHS of pro audio if you will. I used it for years, and once you get a bunch of tracks going with plugins, the mix starts to fold in on itself and you lose depth and size.

Nuendo and Cubase (same audio engine) are definitely superior sonically. I use Nuendo, and while there are few features I miss coming from Pro Tools, the sound quality is far superior, particularly once you have a lot of tracks going and plugins.

Haven't personally used Samplitude/Sequoia, but those I've worked with and spoken to who have say it stands up with Steinberg sonically.
Old 27th May 2005
Lives for gear

Heinz-

Make sure you have "record each take in seperate file" checked in the record options. That will almost completely ensure you'll never get that error message again without changing workflow. I can't even remember the last time I had that problem.

--Ben
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for that tip Ben!
📝 Reply