The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connect Digi 003 with 002
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Head

Connect Digi 003 with 002

Hey wat's up

Im just wondering how i could connect 002 with the 003.

if they re connectable, will be there any sync problems while tracking or

something..

Thanks
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Are you talking about using 2 separate computers to do this? If so, use MIDI Time Code to have one system chase the other.

If you are thinking about using the 002 and 003 on the same computer at the same time, it won't work.
Old 12th September 2008
Here for the gear

Even if it was possible, I don't understand why the hell you would want to connect these two sub par pieces of Sh!t together, but if you really feel the need to do so this is what you have to do.
Step #1 Hook your 003 to your computer with a fire wire cable
Step #2 launch pro tools LE
Step #3 in the hardware set up window set the clock source to external
Step #4 next set your 002 console (not 002 rack) to stand alone mixer mode so that all 8 analog channels pass thru the units A/D converters out the ADAT optical ports.
Step #5 use a good quality optical cable to connect the ADAT out from your 002 to the ADAT in of your 003 and like magic you will have 8 inputs that sound worse then the ones already built in to your 003.
Since your 002 has no word clock input or output you are now stuck clocking this abortion using the built in clock in your 002 via ADAT. (good luck with that)
If your looking for more analog inputs for your 003 buy good A/D converter that has ADAT out and Word Clock and for get the 002 altogether
Save up and get an Apogee Rosetta or something (you will be glad you did and thank me later)
best of luck,
Pete
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Head

thanks for your reply, basically toget more channels for mixing down.

specially that the LE has limited channels.

Moosa
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosamix View Post

Moosa
Doesn't work like that - it's either one or the other. only one LE interface per system.

To get more outputs, get an external converter (like the rosetta you asked about in your other post - "what it does" in a simplified answer is give you some more inputs and outputs, at a higher quality than the 003/2 itself).

LE not only has limited ins and outs, but also limited channels within the software itself (32 channels or 48 with the production toolkit). extra hardware won't help with that.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Moosa
buy a 8 ch adat-output converter and a stereo converter with spdif outs.

then you can get 18 ins and outs.

are you mixing on a desk ?

best,

jChristopherHughes
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Nut

48 track LE

for more tracks.

the music production tool kit. 48 mono tracks

link:

Digidesign | Products | Pro Tools Plug-ins | Music Production Toolkit
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Head

Although im using mac on 003, pc win xp on 002.

am i goin to face any problems ?

thanksss
Old 13th September 2008
None of this makes any sense. There is no audio going through these units on mixdown, they are only controllers and having two of them doesnt give you any more channels.

Just pondering this... if you had ever used PT this would be obvious to you. Sorry but I think your a troll. Just calling it like it looks.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
None of this makes any sense. There is no audio going through these units on mixdown, they are only controllers and having two of them doesnt give you any more channels.

Just pondering this... if you had ever used PT this would be obvious to you. Sorry but I think your a troll. Just calling it like it looks.
he's not a troll, just misguided!

Oh, and audio does go through them on mixdown...maybe not if you're bouncing to disk, but it will do if you're using more than a pair of outputs to monitor.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Although im using mac on 003, pc win xp on 002.

am i goin to face any problems ?
I think he's trying to use two computers with the two interfaces.

Moosamix, are you trying to "tie" 2 computers together?
Old 16th September 2008
Quote:
Oh, and audio does go through them on mixdown...maybe not if you're bouncing to disk, but it will do if you're using more than a pair of outputs to monitor
Audio only goes through them in terms of monitoring. No summing takes place in them.
Old 16th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
Audio only goes through them in terms of monitoring. No summing takes place in them.
I didn't say they worked as analogue summers - only that they're audio interfaces, not just controller surfaces, like the command 8!

If you were summing otb or balancing on a small console, then printing back into PT or onto another format...audio would be going through them, and not just for monitoring.

So...if we interpret it correctly, the OP is thinking he might be able to link 2 002/3s and get more outputs, to mix OTB. Which isn't possible of course.

In case the OP hasn't got the message yet - the maximum i/o from LE is 18 - 8 built in, 8 via adat and 2 via spdif. or 10 outputs at 88.2/96, because the ADAT port won't work at these rates. One LE interface per system.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search