The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Powerbook Problemos
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Powerbook Problemos

I am in the market for a new powerbook. I am waiting for the new 15's to come out so I can have the faster ram, the airport extreme, and the firewire 800.

I am an avid Logic user who has spent a fair amount of scratch on virtual instruments. My mobile rig will be used for mostly programming and sound design when I am away from home. it will not need to do any serious recording, although I am thinking about getting one of those nifty M-Audio Ozones and I might be dropping scratch vocals or ideas from time to time.

Here's the rub. While I understand Apple's forced move to OSX (and believe me, I WISH I was ready to go there) I am not willing to go until NI, Spectrasonics, and the rest get in gear and give me AU versions of all their VIs.

Also, since Steinberg is being anal about the whole VST/AU thing, I am going to lose my beloved Virtual Guitarist modules... Scoff if you will, but those puppies are God's gift to keyboard players as sketchpads.

So, since I am perfectly content to work in OS9 until these people get their collective **** together, that's what I would like to do. Everyday I am losing time and money as I cannot be at the studio all day long due to logistical problems too complex to go into here.

I am pretty certain that the new Powerbooks won't boot into OS9 at all. Is this correct? If so, can I re-install 9.2 externally? Any other bright ideas?

Time is, unfortunately, not on my side.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I take it by the deafening silence that I am screwed.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have seen some workarounds being mentioned on the net but never any reliable reports of success so ... dunno

I''ve dropped the thought of buying a faster one although I've had some pretty interesting offers for my dual 800 and dual 867.

I would love to buy a new mac for private use ... going to install OSX at home on my 733. For now I feel I need to have both operating systems at hand. At least untill I feel completely confident with OSX.

On the one hand I think Apple is rightfully forcing customers to go to OSX ... no difference there with the past when machine wouldn't boot OS8 anymore for example. But those were similar OS's.

On the other hand I think there's quiet a lot of people like us not completely ready to go full OSX. Result ... we don't buy a new mac ... keep the old one and by the time we're ready to do so will sit out this series of macs and wait for the new ones .... G5 for example.
Old 13th March 2003
Mac Moderator

Tunesmith,
You should still be able to get one of the current 867 or 1 gighz 15' Powerbooks from new... get one of these and get your beloved OS9 and plugs until they switch to AU, and then boot into Jaguar....
If you want the faster firewire and airport.. plus OS9... Yes you are screwed.... 2 of my clients tried web found hacks with Desktop OSX boot only Macs, and got into all sorts of chaos...

The choice is yours my friend..

Al.
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Maniac

it's clearly stated by Apple, the FW800 Macs don't boot into 9. The 15.4" Powerbooks about to be introduced will be the same story.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search