The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 : facts and figures Audio Interfaces
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
man this sucks with this backorder. Placed my order over two weeks ago. The anticipation is killing me. heh

You think with the years of pleading for a UAD2 they would have manufactured a surplus to meet the initial demand.
Call Chris at ADK. They may still have some.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
man this sucks with this backorder. Placed my order over two weeks ago. The anticipation is killing me. heh

You think with the years of pleading for a UAD2 they would have manufactured a surplus to meet the initial demand.
Any word on when they'll have these back in stock? I'm waiting too
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Maniac

My UAD-2 Quad works fine here....next to an UAD-1e and a Mackie card...really happy with that extra power....and i have to say that UA did an excellent job in making the transition as easy as possible...

One problem tho...i can't open any mono instances of UAD plug-ins ? Anyone knows about this,and if it will be fixed ? Or do i miss something ?
Opened some old projects in which i used mono versions of some plug-ins (to save dsp power,hah heh) and they are just gone...
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by animix View Post
Call Chris at ADK. They may still have some.

this place?
UAD and Powercore DSP cards
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's the place.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I just replaced my four UAD-1's in a magma chassis with one UAD-2 Duo, and I took a huge performance hit. Now my system stvtters (can't spell that word right, or it becomes an emoticon), crackles and pops, and that's at the highest RME buffer (1024) and with the UAD-2 at less than half load. :(

Regretting the switch at this point. And no tweaks I've done seem to help at all. The UAD-2 isn't sharing an IRQ with the graphics card, which is what I thought the problem was initially. And apparently PCI-e cards can't be adjusted with the PCI latency from days of yore with XP.

I'm open to suggestions, short of getting a new mobo (which is probably the only solution). If anyone has a UAD-2 running successfully in a P5W Deluxe, I'd love to hear your specs. Maybe it's the combo of that with the FF800 that's the killer--who knows. But things were working great with the UAD-1's....
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

oh man. I have that same motherboard. I think I read another guy was having a similiar problem. Well I am definitely not changing my motherboard so I will just send it back if I have this problem.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
oh man. I have that same motherboard. I think I read another guy was having a similiar problem. Well I am definitely not changing my motherboard so I will just send it back if I have this problem.
I searched for UAD-2 and P5W, and nothing jumped out at me as the thread you may be referring to. If you could find that and post a link, I'd be interested in discussing this with other P5W/UAD-2 owners.

Thanks!
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
I searched for UAD-2 and P5W, and nothing jumped out at me as the thread you may be referring to. If you could find that and post a link, I'd be interested in discussing this with other P5W/UAD-2 owners.

Thanks!
I can't really remember where I read that but am positive some guy was having the same issue with a P5W. Maybe it was the UAD forums? I will have to search around.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

Just saw in the UAD forums that you were running Vista? That could be the problem for a number of reason. Cubendo is still hardly a beta for Vista.

Also, afaik, irqs arn't really an issue for pci express slots so I would bother with that. I have all my pci express slots full. And all my pci slots as well.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just saw in the UAD forums that you were running Vista? That could be the problem for a number of reason. Cubendo is still hardly a beta for Vista.

Also, afaik, irqs arn't really an issue for pci express slots so I would bother with that. I have all my pci express slots full. And all my pci slots as well.
My UAD-2 is sharing one of the 2 x IRQ's that my Quadro graphics card uses. I'm having no issues with it. I think that the trainwreck will happen if it is sharing an IRQ with your audio hardware though, or if it reshuffles the interrupts so that your audio hardware is sharing an interrupt with the graphics card. I did have som issues when interfacing my Magma PCIe host card (the Magma that is hosting my 3 x RME sudio cards) in a mobo PCIe slot that insisted on sharing with my Quaddro.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Yeah, I'm running Vista 64-bit Home Premium. Here's the response I just posted over at the UAD forum:

Quote:
I may have a perfect storm here, trying to combine Vista 64 with a firewire interface and this Duo card. I have a separate XP 32-bit partition still, which I haven't touched in awhile. I could try installing the UAD-2 on that partition and see if I get similar issues. My only concern there was that I did try to update that partition to SP3, and the update failed for some reason. So that partition may have issues of it's own. I have a Creative card I use for gaming audio on the same system, and it does have ASIO drivers, so I could test things using it to see if it's a problem that only occurs when using the FF800.
And Cubase is working just fine for me in Vista 64 (using the 32-bit version of Cubase, that is). I think overall I'm not getting the same performance I was out of XP, mind you, but I haven't had any projects that really push the system lately, and I keep my buffers at their highest after tracking.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

woohoo I snatched the last Quad from Scott from ADK. Getting it Friday. That 6 week thing discouraged me.

I believe one of my hdsp cards is sharing with my Matrox. I really don't think it matters since pcie is such high bandwidth compared to pci.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
woohoo I snatched the last Quad from Scott from ADK. Getting it Friday. That 6 week thing discouraged me.

I believe one of my hdsp cards is sharing with my Matrox. I really don't think it matters since pcie is such high bandwidth compared to pci.

If you encounter a trainwreck, you might want to think about an alternative to the Matrox. I've heard varios opinions about how the NVidia cards are friendlier, but that's heresay as I haven't used a Matrox PCIe card. I will definitely vouch for the PNY Quaddro. Really nice. I'm driving 4 x 24" widescreens with mine.
Studio furniture / workstations and mix positions... pictures...

(sorry for the sidetrack)

Hope everything works out for you with the UAD-2.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you encounter a trainwreck, you might want to think about an alternative to the Matrox. I've heard varios opinions about how the NVidia cards are friendlier, but that's heresay as I haven't used a Matrox PCIe card. I will definitely vouch for the PNY Quaddro. Really nice. I'm driving 4 x 24" widescreens with mine.
Studio furniture / workstations and mix positions... pictures...

(sorry for the sidetrack)

Hope everything works out for you with the UAD-2.
Cool. I got a extra Nvideo card I can use if need be. Everything works great right now though.
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Guru

This guy was having issues with the P5W UAD Forums • View topic - Recieved my Quad... Sending it right back.
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that board other than having seen it used on LOTs of DAWs. I've also seen lots of threads regarding QC issues with ASUS boards. I don't know if there might be an "issue" with the guy's board or what.

Here's another one:
UAD Forums • View topic - Bad performance with UAD-2 Duo with Asus P5W Deluxe

There is a Magma and a FW audio interface in the mix though. Looks like Vista might be the show stopper.

I'm on XP32 here. all is good. I hope you have a good experience. Are you running a FW audio interface?
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Guru

That's Mikem from a few posts up, the on with vista. ;-)
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's Mikem from a few posts up, the on with vista. ;-)

Oh!!!.....

Are you running Vista on your DAW? I wonder if it's some witches brew that has been created. Surely UA will address this. there are just too many P5W's out there to ignore.

One thing you can do is call Chris. I've been building DAWs for a long time and Chirs is the only guy (other than me) I have ever trusted to build a workstation for my studio. I would imagine that he's got some insight on this. I know that ADK tests these cards with lots of different mobos.
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh!!!.....

Are you running Vista on your DAW? I wonder if it's some witches brew that has been created. Surely UA will address this. there are just too many P5W's out there to ignore.

One thing you can do is call Chris. I've been building DAWs for a long time and Chirs is the only guy (other than me) I have ever trusted to build a workstation for my studio. I would imagine that he's got some insight on this. I know that ADK tests these cards with lots of different mobos.

No, I am running WinXP Pro SP2.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
I just replaced my four UAD-1's in a magma chassis with one UAD-2 Duo, and I took a huge performance hit. Now my system stvtters (can't spell that word right, or it becomes an emoticon), crackles and pops, and that's at the highest RME buffer (1024) and with the UAD-2 at less than half load. :(

Regretting the switch at this point. And no tweaks I've done seem to help at all. The UAD-2 isn't sharing an IRQ with the graphics card, which is what I thought the problem was initially. And apparently PCI-e cards can't be adjusted with the PCI latency from days of yore with XP.

I'm open to suggestions, short of getting a new mobo (which is probably the only solution). If anyone has a UAD-2 running successfully in a P5W Deluxe, I'd love to hear your specs. Maybe it's the combo of that with the FF800 that's the killer--who knows. But things were working great with the UAD-1's....

hey Mikem,

fyi...
Got my Quad installed and have been working with it all weekend. Awesome! No problems on my P5W at all running WinXP Pro. Running one UAD1 express as well. Matrox graphics card. 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2. Two RME Multifaces (one of them pci express) and a ADI8 DD and ADI/S.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey Mikem,

fyi...
Got my Quad installed and have been working with it all weekend. Awesome! No problems at on my P5W at all running WinXP Pro. Running one UAD1 express as well. Matrox graphics card. 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2. Two RME Multifaces (one of them pci express) and a ADI8 DD and ADI/S.
Good news. I was hoping you wouldn't have any issues. I've been mixing with my UAD's all weekend. I haven't worried about running out of resources since I got this thing. I'm still mixing in some outboard gear here and there but this has allowed me to create some very nice / high track count mixes for preapproval that are totally recallable. Once it's 99% there, it's just a matter of disabling certain plugins, patching in the outboard where needed, tweaking to taste and bouncing.

BTW, if you're using outboard processors, you need this....

ProXL - VST Plugins - VstNotesXL

I just take a shot of the processor with a digital camera, then upload it right to the plugin. To recall, just open the plugin and there's a pic of your settings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search