The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 : facts and figures Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
is this across all 8 cores ?!?!
i hope not...that would be in theory, over 40% on a dual core..
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 View Post
read this and it caught my attention as i am constantly checking the cubase cpu meter to see how much more cpu juice i can squeeze out of it before my track starts sounding garbled from the computer not being able to keep up.

youre saying this can be alleviated by a better firewire card?
In my case for sure. When running the FF 400 through a VIA or TI chipped firewire card the Cubase Asio meter corresponded to the CPU usage. Ever since running on this wacko Agere chip, theres no correlation between the two whatsoever... To check for it, pull up a program like Pc Wizard (or Mac equivalent) and compare if the Asio meter CPU usage are consistent.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
Those meters does'nt have anything with reality to do...
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze View Post
PS
No problems with Host CPU at 1024 latency.
Cheers...seeing as you said you are open to do more tests...If you can can you do a quick test at 256, 128 and see if you can get down to 64 and still get playback, and how the CPU is doing? I know it's a stretch but I'm curious to see if it would make a 8 core Mac crap out.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post
Those meters does'nt have anything with reality to do...
depends on the setup and if the software is written to comply in detail with the a)amount of cores b)architecture/instructions
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends on the setup and if the software is written to comply in detail with the a)amount of cores b)architecture/instructions
Would'nt argue with you on that. It's just my experience.

//Jamzone
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz View Post
Tell me what computer was brand new 10 years ago.....probably a nice 486 (maybe 16Meg ram) for roughly $1000. Now for the same price (not taking into account the difference in the dollar) i can run a computer at least 20+ times as powerful. With over 100 times the ram....
Pentium II's were coming out 10 years ago and I seem to remember having 320mb ram. I was already able to run a fairly high number of Waves Renaissance comps and EQ's back then.

Furthermore, CPU's weren't all that bad in 2001 - AMD XP1900's were fairly common at that time - and it seems like there's a bigger jump in usable processing power from the UAD-1 to the UAD-2 than what CPU's are giving us today. Back in 2001 or 2002, Intel was proclaiming that 5GHz+ processors were around the corner, whatever happened with that???

The Scope platform is coming up on its 10th birthday and native plug-ins still haven't caught up.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The processing isn't spread over multiple cores, though, is it?
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Addict

Sorry this is a dumb question BUT ....

I use PTLE ... and when you UAD users are talking about latency ...

how much exactly in samples do the new UAD2 cards delay the tracks ?
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
The processing isn't spread over multiple cores, though, is it?
i have no idea :(

im not sure if the cpu's instructions spread it by default or if uad-2s programming overrides that..
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
to everyone his own - but get the facts rigt - the UAD was releases 2001 and for PC there were Pentium 4 with up to 1.x GHz I think and denormal problems and G4s for Mac (I think up to 733 MHz)
best

Yes but it's based on a 1997 designed card. UAD are never up to date.

By the way i'm in no way saying the cards are crap , the plug ins are amazing but nowdays i'd like alot of amazing!

I can get that with native for the same price or less and alot more of it.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

By the way i'm in no way saying the cards are crap , the plug ins are amazing but nowdays i'd like alot of amazing!

Interesting...

What plugs are you refering to??
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:

With what plugins? To me, nothing comes close to UAD plugs sonic wise...
Waves SSL, API, Neve, URS CSP... nothing...

I regret selling my UAD and going mobile EVERY SINGLE DAY. That´s why now I´m with a desktop and saving to get a dual or quad with neve plugs...
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post

I regret selling my UAD and going mobile EVERY SINGLE DAY. That´s why now I´m with a desktop and saving to get a dual or quad with neve plugs...
I have to disagree with this somewhat. I too been holding out for a UAD 2, I had to sell 2 PCI UAD 1's when I bought my mac to get 1 UAD 1e. So I have a slot on the mac waiting to be fllled. So in the meantime I'e been demoing the Waves SSL, API and the V Series.

And I have to say I can get much better mixes and colour to my mixes by, mixing it up (no pun intended). I've been UAD snob for a while simply belieivng I have the best plugs on the market, which don't get me wrong they are superior plugs, but there are just certain sources that sound better though the SSL or API, and when you stack the tracks it creates a better vibe rather than the same colour/vibe on every track.

One thing I find also is the UAD plugs are more 3 d, they tend to give a bigger soundsacape to your sounds and mix, but the Waves stuff have a more upfront sound and the colour on the API is just magic. So to me it's a case of using the best tool for each sound source. So I'm grabing the SSL & API, gonna skip the V series as I think the UA Neves are better, and I alos have Colortone and the Massey Tape Head, Sonalksis and some PSP plugs. With all that I'm not worried about more UAD's.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I have to disagree with this somewhat. I too been holding out for a UAD 2, I had to sell 2 PCI UAD 1's when I bought my mac to get 1 UAD 1e. So I have a slot on the mac waiting to be fllled. So in the meantime I'e been demoing the Waves SSL, API and the V Series.

And I have to say I can get much better mixes and colour to my mixes by, mixing it up (no pun intended). I've been UAD snob for a while simply belieivng I have the best plugs on the market, which don't get me wrong they are superior plugs, but there are just certain sources that sound better though the SSL or API, and when you stack the tracks it creates a better vibe rather than the same colour/vibe on every track.

One thing I find also is the UAD plugs are more 3 d, they tend to give a bigger soundsacape to your sounds and mix, but the Waves stuff have a more upfront sound and the colour on the API is just magic. So to me it's a case of using the best tool for each sound source. So I'm grabing the SSL & API, gonna skip the V series as I think the UA Neves are better, and I alos have Colortone and the Massey Tape Head, Sonalksis and some PSP plugs. With all that I'm not worried about more UAD's.
Well, that´s the beauty of the internet forums... people exchanging their experience freely...

A few days ago I started listening to some records I´ve mixed in the past... let´s say... 3 to 4 years...

4 of them where mixed with the UAD and a MPX-1 and a M300 as reverbs.
The depth and punch of thoses mixes are something I´m proud of... and I couldn´t get this on the records I´ve mixed after I let the UAD and the verbs go.
Could those 2 cheap multi-fx boxes helped? YES.
Did the UAD had something to do with this depth and punch! OH YES.
I´m glad the Waves stuff worked for you but it didn´t for me...
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't get your post?? So you're sayin that UAD is better but you settle for less just cause it's native??? Sonalksis is fine but... WTF???
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I totally agree with what you said here (above).
If you combined the firepower of Waves and UAD, that would be the
best scenario then just staying with one. And even if you stayed with one
there's no excuse to produce incredible tracks. I like the idea of Native power with
1 UAD2 (duo or quad) card. I would also utilize all the Neve Plugs. They are the best EQ's. And Waves V is definitely no slouch. Its how you use it. Learning how to do that is a challenge in and by itself. If i were going for pop style, Waves SSL has that sound like you said when stacking channels. I would grab for those Neves if i were going for more heavier music. Best of both worlds. It depends on what you are trying to do.
Old 13th September 2008
I don´t remember anyone saying someone should STAY with only one of the two: NATIVE OR UAD... this is just ridiculous.

My point is, I couldn´t get the same results with native stuff I could get with UAD.

My monitoring was different back on the UAD time, conversion was different... but anyways... when I listen to UAD stuff I did, TODAY, with the monitoring and conversion I have today... stuff AFTER I sold UAD, doesn´t sound as good.
TO ME... maybe I´m trippin´ or something...
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post
Don't get your post?? So you're sayin that UAD is better but you settle for less just cause it's native??? Sonalksis is fine but... WTF???
I've spent a lot of time on all of these plugs over the last few days ...comparing and so on...let me explain a little..

I put a track together so I could test the Waves SSL Buss Comp against the UA Precision Buss Comp and it was a tough weigh up, because the SSL just tightened the track nicely and gave it a nice punch and a analogue type flavor but it robbed a little of the lows, and the width of the track (even at gentle settings). Where as the PBC left the lows alone (and you have the the low pass filter to help even more if needed). It also seems to enhance the depth/ width of the track, which in a different way give it a more analouge feel, but it has no color at all so doesn't give that instant gratification that the SSL does.

So that's a hard toss up co's which ever one I chose I would then work each track differently to get the desired result. I ended up going for the PBC on that track and sticking the Colortone plug after it on a SSL setting and that kinda gave me a happy medium.

On another song I had some backin vox that need some eq & comp. So I broke out my trusty Neve 88rs made some settings and got a sound I was happy with. I then open the SSL E channel and tweak to near matching settings and although it again reduced the width and bigness that the 88rs enhanced...it gave them more presence and just fitted the mix better. I tried to mess with the 88rs to get close but couldn't get there. So in a test where the vox was soloed and most people were asked which sounds the best it would be the 88rs co's it sounds more full and bigger, but that in this case is not what the mix needed.

Another difference to the plugs are UA plugs will impact the sound (9 times out of 10) in a good way, before you even start tweaking ..where as the Waves don't until you start tweaking.

Apolgies for the ramble.
Old 13th September 2008
Nice,
I like how you described those things...
Well... I´ll wait until I have my UAD here to compare stuff again.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze View Post
Here we go.
Got my quad on Friday.
Running fine in Nuendo 4 on an 8 core mac 2.8 side by side with a Duende PCIe and a UAD1e.

Some figures...
at 24/96 I got: (just on the UAD2 card)

12 stereo Dremverbs
or
12 stereo Neve 33609 Bus Comps
or
16 stereo plate 140s
or
36 stereo Neve 88RS
or
40 stereo Neve 1073s (!)
or
40 Precision EQs
or
48 Stereo Heleos (OMG at 24/96!!!!)

Thank You UAD. Workflow+++
All is well in Brutzeland.
Sorry to hear about Logic probs...makes me a little nervous but I don't have any trouble as yet.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I got my UAD-2 quad in here last Thursday. It is indeed very powerful. I had pulled my Magma with 4 x UAD-1 cards off line thinking I'd just spring for a second quad pretty soon. I probably will, but just for grins, I popped one of the UAD-1's in a PCI slot on my mobo and the load sharing situation is so much improved with the cards that I've decided to keep the Magma and the UAD-1's as well. The info you and others here have provided here is very useful as far as optomizing which plugins to assign to the older UAD-1's and which ones to relegate to the UAD-2 card. I suppose that eventually the code for the UAD-2 will be optomized to better handle the plugins that are allowing more instances on the UAD-1 right now, so until then, having 4 x UAD-1's and the UAD-2 quad would allow a scenario wherein plugs on both cards could be assigned for maximum efficiency.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time on all of these plugs over the last few days ...comparing and so on...let me explain a little..

I put a track together so I could test the Waves SSL Buss Comp against the UA Precision Buss Comp and it was a tough weigh up, because the SSL just tightened the track nicely and gave it a nice punch and a analogue type flavor but it robbed a little of the lows, and the width of the track (even at gentle settings). Where as the PBC left the lows alone (and you have the the low pass filter to help even more if needed). It also seems to enhance the depth/ width of the track, which in a different way give it a more analouge feel, but it has no color at all so doesn't give that instant gratification that the SSL does.

So that's a hard toss up co's which ever one I chose I would then work each track differently to get the desired result. I ended up going for the PBC on that track and sticking the Colortone plug after it on a SSL setting and that kinda gave me a happy medium.

On another song I had some backin vox that need some eq & comp. So I broke out my trusty Neve 88rs made some settings and got a sound I was happy with. I then open the SSL E channel and tweak to near matching settings and although it again reduced the width and bigness that the 88rs enhanced...it gave them more presence and just fitted the mix better. I tried to mess with the 88rs to get close but couldn't get there. So in a test where the vox was soloed and most people were asked which sounds the best it would be the 88rs co's it sounds more full and bigger, but that in this case is not what the mix needed.

Another difference to the plugs are UA plugs will impact the sound (9 times out of 10) in a good way, before you even start tweaking ..where as the Waves don't until you start tweaking.

Apolgies for the ramble.
Well, I use Duende for that... I see UAD as a more vintage sound!!!

Best,

Jamzone
Old 14th September 2008
Ps...

On my post above I think I should add, I'm all in the box, I have the brick and the apogee pre's and can't afford any boutique pre's right now, so I want my plugs to add that analogue flavor.
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
when you stack the tracks it creates a better vibe rather than the same colour/vibe on every track.
While I agree with you, this statement is a bit confusing as it pertains to the UAD plug-ins. The 1073, 88RS, Helios, Pultec, Cambridge, and Precision EQ all sound tremendously different from one another, with the 88RS sounding very similar to the Duende EQ and not vintage at all.
Old 15th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
While I agree with you, this statement is a bit confusing as it pertains to the UAD plug-ins. The 1073, 88RS, Helios, Pultec, Cambridge, and Precision EQ all sound tremendously different from one another, with the 88RS sounding very similar to the Duende EQ and not vintage at all.

Agreed, and I haven't got the Helios (so can not speak on that), the rest don't sound the same but they do all seem to have an effect on the low mids, which I'm finding sometimes (probably mostly where low mids aren't that important) adds something unnecessary to the sound, which the SSL for instance just seems to focus things more. At the moment I'm finding that more on vocals, and I think it's because the SSL stuff is hyped a little in the high mids, so lends itself to that forward vocal sound better, where as the UA stuff makes the vocal sound fatter but sits it back in that track a bit, and even with eq it's still not the same.

The point I'm tryin to make here (which is what I've previously praticed, but lately been at risk of just asuming UA plugs will be better) is IMO it's better to have other "go to" plugs as well as UA stuff, you will get better mixes.

If you like analougue flavor These are some plugs that add their own flavour to a mix that UA plugs don't offer:

Sonalksis Compressor (handles kiks just nice)
Tritone Colortone (when you don't need eq but need .....something)
Sonnox Eq (clean but stil nice)
Sonnox Limiter (best sounding IMO)
Massey Tape Head (AU) (adds that tape smear to soften transients)
Waves SSL (tight n punchy)
Waves API (just lfavor)

There's probably more that I don't know about or used.
Old 15th September 2008
I never heard the Sonnox stuff...

- massey tapehead is amazing
- waves SSL and API are good
- sonalksis is good but I wouldn´t call it colored (neither EQ or the compressor)
- colortone is very good too but it´s been a while since I´ve tested it.

I would add:

- pretty much all Stillwell plugs (I never heard the reverb and I have used bad buss mojo very little)
- DP6 master leveler
- PSP MixSuite (whatever it´s called) compressor is GREAT!!!!!! haven´t used the other plugs much
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Addict

Just Got Mine...

In my G5 Quad 2.5 the UAD2 card is running perfect. Just using Logic 7.2.3 in OS 10.4.11.

Running along side 1 UAD1.

The authorization failed the first time I tried but after I logged back in I was able to download the authorizations.

I enabled all the plugs to run on the UAD2(except the ones only running on the UAD1 for now) and opened some older projects I had running on 2 UAD1 cards.

I don't remember exactly how much the older cards were maxed out on these projects (maybe 50-60%?) but the UAD2 was barely working. Maybe 3%. Maybe a factor of 10 which is what they are claiming.

This is at a buffer in Logic of 256 which is what I mostly work in mixing and tracking.

Looking forward to working with this!
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

^ damn... sounds good to me!
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post

You won't regret getting the Quad. I've got a 40 track mix going here with 33601's on the drum bus, the snare, kick and the bass plus as many other plugins as I could ever want to use in a mix and it's not even breathing hard.
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Guru

man this sucks with this backorder. Placed my order over two weeks ago. The anticipation is killing me. heh

You think with the years of pleading for a UAD2 they would have manufactured a surplus to meet the initial demand.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search