The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 : facts and figures Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
btw, in case I was unclear in my earlier point, the 33609 and Duende Buss Compressor are both impeccable emulations, both near indistinguishable from the real hardware. Whether anyone has a personal preference for one over the other is another matter (though having both together is as good as it gets ).
Sounds good to me. I think with the Nevena I will be busy for quite some time. Plus the generous demo time to try out some of those other emulations.

I wonder what's up with the Fatso Jr. ?
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Morning in Berlin...
Ok guys I'll be in the studio tonight.
I'll check the others and mix them around.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Nut

hi brutze, you have a PM :-)
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze View Post
Morning in Berlin...
Ok guys I'll be in the studio tonight.
I'll check the others and mix them around.
And you're in Berlin ...

Cheers from Kreuzberg,

Bhang
Old 8th September 2008
thanks a lot brutze
Old 8th September 2008
Thanks for the report very helpful.

Quote:
Here we go.
Got my quad on Friday.
Running fine in Nuendo 4 on an 8 core mac 2.8 side by side with a Duende PCIe and a UAD1e.

Some figures...
at 24/96 I got: (just on the UAD2 card)

12 stereo Dremverbs
or
12 stereo Neve 33609 Bus Comps
or
16 stereo plate 140s
or
36 stereo Neve 88RS
or
40 stereo Neve 1073s (!)
or
40 Precision EQs
or
48 Stereo Heleos (OMG at 24/96!!!!)

Thank You UAD. Workflow+++
All is well in Brutzeland.
Sorry to hear about Logic probs...makes me a little nervous but I don't have any trouble as yet.
Can you point me to where someone is having Logic problems...?

Quote:
PS
just running
at my usual 1024 latency for mixing.
How was the Macs CPU meter with this? Other posts over at the UA forum suggest that the cards are eating CPU, although they are trying to use lower latencies and are using quad core PCs'.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhang View Post
I wonder what's up with the Fatso Jr. ?
The Moog Filter is coming first (it seems like it's pretty close to being finished. I'm pretty sure the Fatso Jr. will be the next plug-in to come out after that, though it's not clear if we'll see it this year. UA has recently had some spurts of launching plug-ins one after the other but they traditionally took a long time with new releases in the past.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
The Moog Filter is coming first (it seems like it's pretty close to being finished. I'm pretty sure the Fatso Jr. will be the next plug-in to come out after that, though it's not clear if we'll see it this year. UA has recently had some spurts of launching plug-ins one after the other but they traditionally took a long time with new releases in the past.

Hi Eric,

Ordered a Quad from you guys on Thursday but have yet to see it ship out yet. Are you guys backordered?

thanks
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi
Didn't make it to the studio yesterday.
So...

The Logic problems are being discussed here...
Serious issues with UAD2 cards and 8 core macs
and on UA forums.

More details as requested...
at 24/96, 1024 latency, Nuendo 4, 8 core 2.8 Mac, with a UAD1e and PCIe Duende also.
Only on the UAD2...

32 stereo 1176LNs
40 Stereo LA2As

and Mixing it up...all stereo channels...
10 88RS, 4 1073, 2 Heleos, 1 Plate 140,
2 33609, 2 Fairchilds, 4 1176s, 4 LA2As

So double that for mono channels, Double again at 44.1?

Enough for you...
No more freeze for me!
Although the last update to the duende software no allows this offline without crashing.

I'll be in the studio again the morn. Any requests for tests get them in shortly. Happy to oblige.

B
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

PS
No problems with Host CPU at 1024 latency.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Ordered a Quad from you guys on Thursday but have yet to see it ship out yet. Are you guys backordered?
Yes, unfortunately. UA told us last week that we'd be seeing more next week but it seems that they may be delayed a little longer than that.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately. UA told us last week that we'd be seeing more next week but it seems that they may be delayed a little longer than that.
yeah they told me sweetwater scooped up a boatload 20 mins before my guy queued my order -- all they had left were a few solos as of yesterday im told :(

looks like another 2 weeks+ for me :(
Old 10th September 2008
Quote:
Hi
Didn't make it to the studio yesterday.
So...

The Logic problems are being discussed here...
Serious issues with UAD2 cards and 8 core macs
and on UA forums.

at 24/96, 1024 latency, Nuendo 4, 8 core 2.8 Mac, with a UAD1e and PCIe Duende also.
Only on the UAD2...

32 stereo 1176LNs
40 Stereo LA2As

So double that for mono channels, Double again at 44.1?

Enough for you...
No more freeze for me!
Although the last update to the duende software no allows this offline without crashing.

I'll be in the studio again the morn. Any requests for tests get them in shortly. Happy to oblige.

B
Damn... I´ll order my quad!!!!!
Thanks a lot for your time to do the test!
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Have you guys tried UAD2 out with your PTLE rig?
I know its 'not official' yet, but was wondering if its
working for you either Mac or PC?
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Only on the UAD2...

32 stereo 1176LNs
40 Stereo LA2As

B
Thanks Brutze, how does the card do at a buffer of 512? If is that much of a difference.

Thanks again for the great information.

Bhang
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames View Post
Have you guys tried UAD2 out with your PTLE rig?
I know its 'not official' yet, but was wondering if its
working for you either Mac or PC?
A few days ago, someone posted a link to this video on the UAD forums:

http://dsp-board.universal-audio.en.audiofanzine.com/videos/index,id_video,108,idproduit,133752.html

In the video, they say they're working towards making the UAD experience better for us PTLE users, they say something about December, so personally I'm waiting until then to get my Quad (working on building a new kick ass DAW in the meantime).
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks Brutze, how does the card do at a buffer of 512? If is that much of a difference.

Thanks again for the great information.

Bhang
I'll check today and get back tonight.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

With my two UAD-1s (UAD-1e on a MacPro), I'm always running at a 128 samples buffer. Would be also very interesting for me, how the UAD-2 behaves with this setting .... cheers from Austria, bernd
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

The UAD2 DOES put some notches on the Host CPU in Nuendo 4. But not very much. At 1024 less than 10% on my 8 core. I should hope so too.
At 512 the Host CPU jumped up another 4.5%.
The plugin counts are the same.

Hallo Bernd. werde's Morgen überprufen, dann melde ich mich noch mal später. Gruß.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The UAD2 DOES put some notches on the Host CPU in Nuendo 4. But not very much. At 1024 less than 10% on my 8 core. I should hope so too.

Hallo Bernd. werde's Morgen überprufen, dann melde ich mich noch mal später. Gruß.
Thats not bad at all.
Say, here is another question along a different line. I was wondering whether or not the UAD offers real side chain options ?
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post

ASIO meter was showing a different story though, but until I change my Firewire card, not gonna pay it any attention.

read this and it caught my attention as i am constantly checking the cubase cpu meter to see how much more cpu juice i can squeeze out of it before my track starts sounding garbled from the computer not being able to keep up.

youre saying this can be alleviated by a better firewire card?
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

No UAD cards for me

I've been holding out and waiting to see the UAD2 to decide if i'm going to stick Native or jump over to UAD.

After see the new cards there is no way I would jump over.

In 10+ years the best they can do is 4-5 times more powerful.....

Tell me what computer was brand new 10 years ago.....probably a nice 486 (maybe 16Meg ram) for roughly $1000. Now for the same price (not taking into account the difference in the dollar) i can run a computer at least 20+ times as powerful. With over 100 times the ram....

I was hoping that the UAD2 base card was around 10 times as powerful for the same price.

But they are to clever to release something powerful, they want to make as much money as possible and most people will still need more than one card helping them make more money because there cards are dirt cheap to build as they are not even up to today's standard.

I'll stick Native
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thats not bad at all.
Say, here is another question along a different line. I was wondering whether or not the UAD offers real side chain options ?
not until now .... a shame .... hope they will one day, but I do not think they ever made a statement abou that.

best
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz View Post
I've been holding out and waiting to see the UAD2 to decide if i'm going to stick Native or jump over to UAD.

After see the new cards there is no way I would jump over.

Tell me what computer was brand new 10 years ago.....probably a nice 486 (maybe 16Meg ram) for roughly $1000. Now for the same price (not taking into account the difference in the dollar) i can run a computer at least 20+ times as powerful. With over 100 times the ram....

I was hoping that the UAD2 base card was around 10 times as powerful for the same price.

But they are to clever to release something powerful, they want to make as much money as possible and most people will still need more than one card helping them make more money because there cards are dirt cheap to build as they are not even up to today's standard.

I'll stick Native

to everyone his own - but get the facts rigt - the UAD was releases 2001 and for PC there were Pentium 4 with up to 1.x GHz I think and denormal problems and G4s for Mac (I think up to 733 MHz)

It is always good to get the facts right first.

Now you could say that you never will by a new CPu because compared to GPUs their ratio of performance improvement is just neglectable - CPUs 10 times, GPUs a few 100 times. So, why not skip that?

I think with the 8 core PC today you have a speed bump of up to about 20 x - with a UAD quad of an average of 10 x - seems acceptable to me.

And, they are about 10 times as powerful for the price they were first released - so, what is you problem?
A new Core 2 quad that is relased next week will also not be at the same price as the low cost Pentium 4 that is still on offer today.

best
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz View Post

Are you making music or driving a rail car?
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
not until now .... a shame .... hope they will one day, but I do not think they ever made a statement abou that.

best
What do you mean by , not until now? Did they implement it but not utilize it yet?

What an omission.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

beside the missing side chain i really would like to see MIDI automation.
stuff like the RE-201 would be great with a midi learn feature ...
Old 12th September 2008
To me, buying UAD is not a power upgrade... but a sound quality upgrade...
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
To me, buying UAD is not a power upgrade... but a sound quality upgrade...
Yes, but side chaining would be killer !!!!

No automation either huh ...

oh well, it really is about the sound, you are very right. All of these other options should be killed if it means sacrificing audio quality ( but I still want some side chaining )
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

is this across all 8 cores ?!?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search