The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 : facts and figures Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
It seems pretty clear that UA's drive for lower latency is mainly for the LE crowd. I honestly believe the UAD-2 will eventually provide much better performance with Pro Tools than the UAD-1 ever did.

eventually
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Wow, that is a kind offer

I think what a lot of people might be interested in is exactly how the low latency mode (LLM) works

We know that LLM works by offloading ALL of the processing power to your CPU. I am just curious about two things

1) Does it work

2) How much CPU power do these plugs take up - this is a little more difficult to figure out unless you use Reaper (free download BTW) which outlines how CPU each plugs in uses.
Ok opened up Cubase 4 with a 48k/32 bit empty project at 128.
CPU and ASIO use was around 0 to 2%.

Created two tracks:

1) a wave file running through a 1073, 1176 LN, and an LA-3A.
2) A recording track with a 1073, 1176 LN, LA-3A and plate 140 Livetrack not armed.

pressed play and got a CPU reading of 5-8%, but Asio is more towards 40% (<--- my FF400 has never liked anything below 256 since running through the Agere chip of my mobo)

Then armed Livetrack and Asio rose to 50%, but CPU didnt change at all.
Recorded myself onto the track counting the beats like a metronome, and it came out exactly as I recorded, no latency.

Switched on the tracks direct monitoring and could hear exactly what I was putting in, no latency.

I then put the same plugs on my Mic's In channel and recorded through the plugs, no latency and exactly what I put in.

However, if I increased the number of plugs running Livetrack my Asio meter went ballistic, but CPU barely moved. Livetrack feature added about 0.5% extra strain on the CPU per plug about, so i ended up with 13% CPU activity at 48k/32b/128 running a total of 11 plugs, 8 of them armed with Livetrack.

My conclusion CPU barely sees any action, but if you multiply that by 10 tracks, all with 4 plugs, and all running the Livetrack mode your talking 20 to 30% hit on the CPU. Cant see that being a big deal.

ASIO meter was showing a different story though, but until I change my Firewire card, not gonna pay it any attention.

Sorry for the unscientific manner of the test & dont know if this was what you were suggesting, didnt have time to delve deeper into it tonite..

Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

This is exactly what i wanted to hear........damn, guess i gotta get on the bandwagon
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

kasprouch,

That was awesome thank very much for conducting and posting the results thumbsup

I hope to have my UAD2 Quad here next week

I have 2 x AES16 PCI Cards so I will see if I get it the same reaction to my ASIO Meter

That sounds really great

Cheer!
Old 4th September 2008
adl
Gear Addict

@Kasprouch
Man that´s good to hear, can´t wait for my UAD Quad to arrive
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I don't know which long awaited release was more of a disaster, Digi's 003 or UA's UAD-2?
There you are! I was wondering when you would chime in.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
The market is a wide open place, so let's see if anyone else can duplicate UA's innovative and standard setting work with better, more powerful cards and better plugins.

Those who can, open companies like Universal Audio - those who can't, teach.
OUCH!
To quote Ray Stantz (Dan Ackroyd) from Ghostbusters:
"I've worked in the private sector! They expect results!"heh
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

@Kasprouch

What is ASIO meter and which CPU is the CPU meter?

I was reading as ASIO = Host cpu meter, and CPU = UAD CPU meter.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I don't know which long awaited release was more of a disaster, Digi's 003 or UA's UAD-2?
Huh? I was one of the people who started the threads about the high CPU usage but I'm still loving my new UAD-2 despite that. The point of starting those threads was to help people avoid surprises and get up and running more quickly as they receive their new cards, as well as to let UA know what fixes need to be prioritized. Those threads are not meant to cast a negative light on the release.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Can i use 1 UAD-2 quad together with 2 UAD-1s in 1 PC?
Old 4th September 2008
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Can i use 1 UAD-2 quad together with 2 UAD-1s in 1 PC?
Yes.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AON View Post
Yes.
Thanks
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Wow, that is a kind offer

I think what a lot of people might be interested in is exactly how the low latency mode (LLM) works

We know that LLM works by offloading ALL of the processing power to your CPU.
I seriously doubt that is the case. I'm absolutly convinced the plugins still run on the cards in LLM.

The reason for the CPU use going up is the small (or complete absence of) buffers so the CPU has to work really hard to shuffle all the different information. Kinda like lowering the latency on the soundcard. It still has to calculate the same thing however in a much less efficient way.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat View Post
@Kasprouch

What is ASIO meter and which CPU is the CPU meter?

I was reading as ASIO = Host cpu meter, and CPU = UAD CPU meter.
Asio meter = Cubase cpu/soundcard meter

CPU = The actual CPU inside the computer
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're equals in terms of quality. The UAD-2 provides you with more options but the Duende gives you that frighteningly accurate emulation of the SSL Buss Compressor. Many people get Duende's for the Buss Compressor alone, I'm hoping SSL will eventually include it with the Duende Mini.
Thanks, good to know. I'm pretty sold on the UAD-2, but did know that the bus compressor for the duende was extremely nice. So I wonder how the precision or neve bus compressors holds up to the ssl version.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
I seriously doubt that is the case. I'm absolutly convinced the plugins still run on the cards in LLM.

The reason for the CPU use going up is the small (or complete absence of) buffers so the CPU has to work really hard to shuffle all the different information. Kinda like lowering the latency on the soundcard. It still has to calculate the same thing however in a much less efficient way.
Actually I was referring to a quote from the UAD2 Manual that Peeder posted.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

just ordered my quads wish me luck

they said itll take 2 weeks for the whole process since everywhere is backed up

i have ASCAP to thank for the late check ;/
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
@proud to produce w*a*r*e*z*l*e*s*s
im proud to produce without killing small animals
Old 5th September 2008
adl
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
im proud to produce without killing small animals

That´s important too!

fuuck
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhang View Post
So I wonder how the precision or neve bus compressors holds up to the ssl version.
The 33609 is equal to the SSL Buss Compressor in terms of quality but they're very different from one another in sound and application. An oversimplified way to decide might be to choose the 33609 for a more vintage vibe and the SSL for a more modern one.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

a 33609 thumbsup is in no way equal to a dfegad SSL bus comp .
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I love the 33069 on the right source.

Usually -1 to -5 gain reduction maximum, tweak to taste serve and warm.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I find that the SSL Buss Comp is way overrated.......
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Here we go.
Got my quad on Friday.
Running fine in Nuendo 4 on an 8 core mac 2.8 side by side with a Duende PCIe and a UAD1e.

Some figures...
at 24/96 I got: (just on the UAD2 card)

12 stereo Dremverbs
or
12 stereo Neve 33609 Bus Comps
or
16 stereo plate 140s
or
36 stereo Neve 88RS
or
40 stereo Neve 1073s (!)
or
40 Precision EQs
or
48 Stereo Heleos (OMG at 24/96!!!!)

Thank You UAD. Workflow+++
All is well in Brutzeland.
Sorry to hear about Logic probs...makes me a little nervous but I don't have any trouble as yet.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

PS
just running
at my usual 1024 latency for mixing.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 33609 is equal to the SSL Buss Compressor in terms of quality but they're very different from one another in sound and application. An oversimplified way to decide might be to choose the 33609 for a more vintage vibe and the SSL for a more modern one.
- This sounds like what you would expect. Neve old warm analog and SSL more precise and more modern. I'm not sure which I'll prefer. What about the Precision Buss Compressor ? How does it fare in this group?
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze View Post
Here we go.
Got my quad on Friday.
Running fine in Nuendo 4 on an 8 core mac 2.8 side by side with a Duende PCIe and a UAD1e.

Some figures...

12 stereo Dremverbs
or
or
16 stereo plate 140s
or
36 stereo Neve 88RS
or
40 stereo Neve 1073s (!)
or
40 Precision EQs
or

Sorry to hear about Logic probs...makes me a little nervous but I don't have any trouble as yet.
WOW !!! My God !! Thanks brutze . Do you by chance have any info on any of the UA plugins? like LA2A 1176. Or, maybe even the fairchild ? Sorry ... getting greedy. These numbers are very helpful. thanks again.

Last edited by Bhang; 8th September 2008 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: greedy extra questions :-)
Old 8th September 2008
adl
Gear Addict

Quote:
- This sounds like what you would expect. Neve old warm analog and SSL more precise and more modern. I'm not sure which I'll prefer. What about the Precision Buss Compressor ? How does it fare in this group?
Definetely more modern.
I really like it, you can make it pump in a nice way, or not, just as you want.
The highpassfilter is really usefull to keep the Bassdrum PHAT while compressing the rest.

I usually go: Cambridge EQ---> Precision Buss Comp--->Vintage Warmer--->Neve1081 / PultecEQ---> Precision Limiter.
So, i have the modern compression sound of the Precision BussComp with some warmth due to Vintage Warmer (only 1-2dB of Gainreduction)
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's good but doesn't have the same hardware feel of the other two.

btw, in case I was unclear in my earlier point, the 33609 and Duende Buss Compressor are both impeccable emulations, both near indistinguishable from the real hardware. Whether anyone has a personal preference for one over the other is another matter (though having both together is as good as it gets ).
Old 8th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutze View Post
Here we go.
Got my quad on Friday.

Some figures...

12 stereo Dremverbs
or
or
16 stereo plate 140s
or
36 stereo Neve 88RS
or
40 stereo Neve 1073s (!)
or
40 Precision EQs
or

do you mind mixing them around?
like a few plates, some 1073, some 88R, some 33609, all on the same session?
just like we do normaly

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search