The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OSX slower than OS9?
Old 4th March 2003
Here for the gear

OSX slower than OS9?

When I get some downtime, I'm looking forward to making the jump to PT6 on OSX. Currently running 5.3/OS9 on my Quicksilver dual gigger.

Now, my question: Based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that ProTools performance under OSX represents a significant step BACKWARDS in terms of speed, UI responsiveness, and overall snappiness of the app. Some poor guy over on the DUC basically said that audio scrubbing under PT6/OSX was so laggy and slow as to be unusable, and that when he reverted back to PT5/OS9 it "felt like a new machine". This on a dual-proc 1Ghz Mac, the same machine I'm using.

That sounds like a big bummer to me. When I upgrade, I want it to FEEL like an upgrade... knowwhutI mean? Sure, the PT6 featureset looks extremely cool... but I hate the thought of putting all the time and effort into switching, only to end up with a boggy OSX dog of a machine, reminiscing about the "good ol' daze" of OS9.

Say it ain't so, guys. Can anyone report to the contrary based on your OSX experience?
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Maniac

I'm running PT 6 in 10.2.4 on my dual 1.25, the latest generation released in January. It's fast and stable. I have no way of comparing to OS 9 here ofcourse because this Mac won't boot 9. All drives are IDE.

I also have a G4 500 mhz that has both PT5 in 9 on one partition and PT 6 in 10.2.3 on another partition of the same drive. PT 6 is definetly faster. I'm running 3 ultra-wide 10K RPM IBM 36GB drives in this one, that makes a difference on track count.

One thing that was interesting was installing OS X from the DVD that shipped with my new G4 onto the older one created a system that ran lousy compared to installing from my retail Jaguar CDs and then updating.

FWIW. I've been a Mac tech for going on 18 years now. I've seen lot's of Macs that ran crumby because of incorrect installs of both the apps and the system.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear
I am certainly no mac tech, but will tell you what....When I bought my G4 Apple installed OS 10.0.4, and it is ****in useless....Has anyone had this version? It is so buggy its crazy....I am going to have to get Jaguar, and erase everything...It's like its missing applications and all kinds of ****. I can't burn a data cd, because the OS REFUSES to show the disc on the desktop when I put one in. I have files I need to keep before I dump the OS's and start over, but I can't even figure out how to burn a damn data cd....Itunes will burn an audio cd, but how the hell do I get files to a disc?

I am praying that my version of OSX was just crappy...I can't install **** without having at least 10.1.2, can't get the Nvidia drivers to run the damn graphics card with a couple of games and 3d apps I have, and sometimes I can't even delete files, because I "don't have sufficient resources" to empty the f'in trash can....

ARRGGGHHH!!!

any suggestions?

halcyoheh
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Head

OS 10.0.4 is well-known for being essentially a public beta. I have 10.2.4 now on my machine (1Ghz X 2, QS) for all my NON-audio stuff, and am slowly getting the audio over to X as drivers and apps become available.

I haven't torture-tested audio performace under X yet, but I can tell you that all other aspects of the system seem markedly faster and smoother under X. My Logic upgrade (native) is on the way... maybe then we'll see if I can repeat the Pro Tools problem spoken about here.

I know that the CoreAudio and CoreMidi aspects of X have been changed a lot, and that this has been frustrating for developers. I still have a lot of faith that when all the dust settles, it's gonna be a beautiful world.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Addict

i am running both os 9.2 and 10.2.3 with protools on my quicksilver g4 800. the whole thing just runs better under os 10 and pt6 is very stable and loads twice as fast....i was told to reformat my harddrive before installing os10 and did also installing os 9. i also kept os9 and all its programs in a seperat folder including os9 system folder...not particiend...it works great.
Old 8th March 2003
Mac Moderator

Guys,
Yep I'll second that.. OSX wins hands down for me.... Things just feel more solid to IMHO.. plus crashes are so rare as to be non existant (well no crashes at all with PT6 TDM... LE doesn't like me accessing playback engine with a session open...)
Logic 5.5 was totally solid for me under OSX.2.4 apart from the export Midi command.....
Logic 6 seems ok too....

Al.
Old 12th March 2003
Mindreader

I am running Logic 6 native on OS X.

Last night I started up a song which showed the dsp about 5% away from konking out.

While it was playing:

I opened up Entourage
Downloaded my messages
Clicked a gearslutz link
My browser then booted
and eventually quit both entourage and browser

Logic continued to play the song without a hiccup

It's that kind of thing which makes OSX great and it's only going to get better. Ok, you may be able to do that in 9, but you can't tell me that it doesn't make you nervous. X is solid.
Old 13th March 2003
Mac Moderator

Bev,
Yep OSX.2 is solid. I dont have to worry about your seperate extension sets anymore, for when you want to go online huh Bev?

As long as you dont grab any virus's (or infected cracks) you can use your Jaguar machine for most things...sometimes all at once...

Al.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search