The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I connect TWO Apogee Ensembles together? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I'm not really sure what to help you with here?

Are you saying you cannot make this happen?
Hey Roc, it's not about ME making this happen. Really, check that threads regarding this issue. Check HERE, check Apple Forums, Check LogicProHelp..... NOTHING.... NO ONE has made this happen (connecting multiple Ensembles) Yes, it stand alone mode you can connect the Ensemble to ANOTHER interface and you're STUCK with the other interface's conversion AND you're stuck with ONLY 4 channels of the Ensemble. This was NOT what was promised from Apogee!

There is no ACTUAL support with this from Apogee. There are just tech guys saying, "Yeah sure you can do it....what post this on the website? Make an updated manual and support this? oooohh, no, we couldn't do THAT!"

I guess the Symphony System MAY be the way to go, although, I'm kinda disenchanted with Apogee.

Metric Halo does seem to be looking like a better choice these days....so, I'm trading GREAT SOUND/GREAT CONVERSION/LACK OF SUPPORT/PROBLEMS (Apogee Ensemble) for PROVEN STABILITY/GREAT SUPPORT/Good to Very Good Sound (Metric Halo),.....both Firewire Drivers.....

OR......

Get a Apogee Symphony ..... I guess you get what you pay for!

NOW, having said all the above, I may just KEEP the Ensemble for all it's good points....yet I'm STUCK with the it's limitations. I've got a tool in the Ensemble that will be very usable until I can afford the Symphony System (AD16X, DA16X, Syphony X Card x 2, & Mobile AND PCI cards =$9,000)....or maybe I'll go Lavry and be done with Apogee....why would I support them after they used the public as a ginnypig for the Ensemble.
Old 16th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
Hey Roc, it's not about ME making this happen. Really, check that threads regarding this issue. Check HERE, check Apple Forums, Check LogicProHelp..... NOTHING.... NO ONE has made this happen (connecting multiple Ensembles) Yes, it stand alone mode you can connect the Ensemble to ANOTHER interface and you're STUCK with the other interface's conversion AND you're stuck with ONLY 4 channels of the Ensemble. This was NOT what was promised from Apogee!

There is no ACTUAL support with this from Apogee. There are just tech guys saying, "Yeah sure you can do it....what post this on the website? Make an updated manual and support this? oooohh, no, we couldn't do THAT!"

I guess the Symphony System MAY be the way to go, although, I'm kinda disenchanted with Apogee.

Metric Halo does seem to be looking like a better choice these days....so, I'm trading GREAT SOUND/GREAT CONVERSION/LACK OF SUPPORT/PROBLEMS (Apogee Ensemble) for PROVEN STABILITY/GREAT SUPPORT/Good to Very Good Sound (Metric Halo),.....both Firewire Drivers.....

OR......

Get a Apogee Symphony ..... I guess you get what you pay for!

NOW, having said all the above, I may just KEEP the Ensemble for all it's good points....yet I'm STUCK with the it's limitations. I've got a tool in the Ensemble that will be very usable until I can afford the Symphony System (AD16X, DA16X, Syphony X Card x 2, & Mobile AND PCI cards =$9,000)....or maybe I'll go Lavry and be done with Apogee....why would I support them after they used the public as a ginnypig for the Ensemble.
Still, I have no idea what your question is.

No one is going to come to your house and do this for you,

You've got to take some responsibility for setting up your system the way you desire, bound by the laws of technical restraints.

Quote:
Yes, it stand alone mode you can connect the Ensemble to ANOTHER interface and you're STUCK with the other interface's conversion AND you're stuck with ONLY 4 channels of the Ensemble. This was NOT what was promised from Apogee!
If you have ONE Ensemble, connected to Logic, you'll have 8 analog I/O, [1-8 in the software], and 8 Digital I/O on ADAT [9-16 in the software] and two channels SPDIF [17-18 in the software] available in your software program. Seems to me your trying to run 96K with ADAT [ADAT wants to run 48K unless you use SMUX which 1/2's the channel count] because sure as ****, you can get 8 channels of Ensemble #2 AD/DA conversion to/from your DAW. I have no idea what you mean by.....

Quote:
you're STUCK with the other interface's conversion
The First Ensemble is merely sending the data through the FW cable. You are still converting to ADAT with the second unit??????

You cannot do this with higher sample rates and expect it to work, which I fear is your problem. But you haven't said either way, so I have no clue what to tell you.
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it stand alone mode you can connect the Ensemble to ANOTHER interface and you're STUCK with the other interface's conversion AND you're stuck with ONLY 4 channels of the Ensemble. This was NOT what was promised from Apogee!
But if you use one Ensemble connected to another in standalone mode then you're "stuck" with Apogee's conversion, which is what you want in the first place, right?

Yes, at 88.2 or 96 kHz you only get four tracks, but their stuff sounds great at 44.1 or 48 kHz...if you really feel that you need the higher sampling rates then yes, you do need to look at another option.

I don't believe that they "promised" that you'd be able to do what you want to do. Features may have changed since the product was initialy announced...that's not unusual...but they're not promising that it can do anything that it can't do today. They're even willing to help you do things it sounds like the product isn't oficially supposed to be able to do (like Roc Mixwell, at this point I'm not even sure what you're after)...if you want more than that then maybe you should look elsewhere.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Nut

ugh, this thread hurts my psyche...

Please calm down, this is possible, you have to admit that it is possible that you are doing something wrong.

2 points:

1) In the Maestro software, you must make sure that your FW bandwidth is set to 18x18 (not 8x8 as you indicated previously)

2) Also, as others have said, you cannot use the ADAT input at any sampling rate above 48kHz...this is the nature of ADAT!! Not a limitation of the Ensemble...(Although the Ensemble doesn't support S/MUX, which would be nice...)

I don't believe that NO ONE has been able to do this, although I believe that YOU have not gotten it to work.

Double check your I/O routing, your FW bandwidth, forget about the device aggregator for now...

The 2 Ensembles should be connected ONLY by ADAT cable and W/C cable...no FW for the second Ensemble...I repeat, do not daisychain the 2nd Ensemble to the 1st using FireWire...

You connect the second Ensemble to your computer via FW initially to set the Inputs to directly feed the ADAT outputs, then disconnect it. It is now in standalone mode...

Then you connect it to your first Ensemble via ADAT and W/C (and if you like, SPDIF) for a total possible inputs of 18!

(Again, if the FW bandwidth setting in Maestro is set to anything less than 18x18, then this will not work.)

Keep trying, it is possible, but I'm having trouble figuring out what you are having trouble figuring out...
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

I must admit, I have been vague about what I'm trying to accomplish. I should have asked the RIGHT questions...I am new to the Logic/Ensemble/Maestro world so I didn't know the right question to ask....I'll admit when I'm wrong.

However, while SEEKING guidance, one hopes to find it in the company in question. In this case, Apogee did promise to be able to use multiple Ensembles chained together (look at their advertisements and look at the MYRIAD of forums, I'm not imagining anything); Having sought that advise, Apogee has stated this NO LONGER supported...

Here is what I wanted to accomplish:

CONNECT TWO APOGEE ENSEMBLES TO GET 16 CHANNELS OF OF INPUT.

Now the Metric Halo 2882's can be chained to with up to THREE 2882's and record at 96K. I assumed Apogee, who is the BOMB at audio (supposedly), could get this done. From what I'm gathering from you guys, (Idiophonic, Durado, & Roc Mixwell, thanks guys by the way for you guidance!) is that the Ensemble CAN NOT run at 96k with more than 8 channels...I should have made that clear that that was what I was trying to accomplish.

Now, check out page 1 of this thread. GSers are even showing screenshots of their Maestro routing set up NOT working, so it's not just ME that's having trouble getting this going (using 2 Ensembles together), AND Apogee is not helping with this problem.....

I hope this clears things up. So, do I go Metric Halo FW or up the anty and go Apogee Symphony with a couple of Rosettas, or AD16x/DA16x set up???? In other words, now that I feel stranded by Apogee, do I REWARD them by giving them a LARGER amount of my ca$h flow??!?!
Old 16th September 2008
Quote:
I must admit, I have been vague about what I'm trying to accomplish. I should have asked the RIGHT questions...I am new to the Logic/Ensemble/Maestro world so I didn't know the right question to ask....I'll admit when I'm wrong.

However, while SEEKING guidance, one hopes to find it in the company in question. In this case, Apogee did promise to be able to use multiple Ensembles chained together (look at their advertisements and look at the MYRIAD of forums, I'm not imagining anything); Having sought that advise, Apogee has stated this NO LONGER supported...

Here is what I wanted to accomplish:

CONNECT TWO APOGEE ENSEMBLES TO GET 16 CHANNELS OF OF INPUT.

Now the Metric Halo 2882's can be chained to with up to THREE 2882's and record at 96K. I assumed Apogee, who is the BOMB at audio (supposedly), could get this done. From what I'm gathering from you guys, (Idiophonic, Durado, & Roc Mixwell, thanks guys by the way for you guidance!) is that the Ensemble CAN NOT run at 96k with more than 8 channels...I should have made that clear that that was what I was trying to accomplish.

Now, check out page 1 of this thread. GSers are even showing screenshots of their Maestro routing set up NOT working, so it's not just ME that's having trouble getting this going (using 2 Ensembles together), AND Apogee is not helping with this problem.....

I hope this clears things up. So, do I go Metric Halo FW or up the anty and go Apogee Symphony with a couple of Rosettas, or AD16x/DA16x set up???? In other words, now that I feel stranded by Apogee, do I REWARD them by giving them a LARGER amount of my ca$h flow??!?!
Apogee will clearly tell you that Maestro only supports one unit at a time and has no control over a second aggregated Ensemble. The software is not coded to do what you are expecting. I have explained the way it works and that is the only way it works. If you want 16 channels of 96K than you might not look at ADAT or FW devices. Sure the Ensemble can do 8 channels of 96K, without a problem because you can achieve that channel count with a single FW connection. If you ask me, TWO FW units on the same FW buss running 96K is ASKING FOR TROUBLE NO MATTER WHAT BOX YOU USE!!!!!!!!!!

Posts on GS mean nothing to me: USER ERROR IS ALMOST ALWAYS THE PROBLEM!!!!!! Just because some guys cannot figure out how to route and control parameters in the software doesn't mean the software or hardware is broken. Apogee has very good tech support and I would call them again and talk to Jay, as he has been an extremely helpful individual for me and my clients when dealing with software/hardware setup and configuration.

To be completely honest, I am having a problem understanding your complaints about tech support because you never gave us any preface about your problem and what Apogee has done to fix it. I guessed correct when I assumed you were trying to use 96K with a 48K medium. When making the move to digital audio, one must be aware of the technical aspects of ADAT before you think you can fly to the moon with an inferior and limited technology.

Knowing what I know about ADAT, I would never blame this problem on Apogee or any other manufacture. I hate to point out that if you cannot describe what you are trying to accomplish in the written word on the forum, how is Apogee supposed to help you if they don't understand what your asking them.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apogee will clearly tell you that Maestro only supports one unit at a time and has no control over a second aggregated Ensemble. The software is not coded to do what you are expecting. I have explained the way it works and that is the only way it works. If you want 16 channels of 96K than you might not look at ADAT or FW devices. Sure the Ensemble can do 8 channels of 96K, without a problem because you can achieve that channel count with a single FW connection. If you ask me, TWO FW units on the same FW buss running 96K is ASKING FOR TROUBLE NO MATTER WHAT BOX YOU USE!!!!!!!!!!

Roc,

My point is now VERY clear as to what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not alone in trying to accomplish connecting to multiple Ensembles

Quote:
Posts on GS mean nothing to me: USER ERROR IS ALMOST ALWAYS THE PROBLEM!!!!!! Just because some guys cannot figure out how to route and control parameters in the software doesn't mean the software or hardware is broken. Apogee has very good tech support and I would call them again and talk to Jay, as he has been an extremely helpful individual for me and my clients when dealing with software/hardware setup and configuration.

This thread is NOT about Gearslutz members USER ERROR. 50million Elvis fans can't be wrong? Well, 100's of Ensemble purchasers can't be imagining this either. As I have said many times on posts; this was one of the selling points of Apogee AND continues to be on internet ads. Apogee's support recently (yes, with alot of other companies as well) tends to play the "Ignore" "Don't say YES or NO" game. Brett, the gentleman at Apogee tech support says he is lobbying to have Apogee to post these issues (that I've spoken about above but you seem to not understand) on the website AND to update the manual. Tech support at Apogee is understanding me; not sure what YOU'RE not understanding.

Quote:
To be completely honest, I am having a problem understanding your complaints about tech support because you never gave us any preface about your problem and what Apogee has done to fix it. I guessed correct when I assumed you were trying to use 96K with a 48K medium. When making the move to digital audio, one must be aware of the technical aspects of ADAT before you think you can fly to the moon with an inferior and limited technology.

Again, please see above.....please see my other posts... please see all the other well documented posts of other NO ERROR MAKING people having similiar issues...

Quote:
Knowing what I know about ADAT, I would never blame this problem on Apogee or any other manufacture. I hate to point out that if you cannot describe what you are trying to accomplish in the written word on the forum, how is Apogee supposed to help you if they don't understand what your asking them.

It is also known that Metric Halo has the FW capabilities at 32 channels at 96k well down packed; AND they seem to be stable. They've had their FW issues down for years.... this was MY fault for not knowing this of course .... I should have done some better research on the interfaces that..... ACTUALLY DO WHAT THEY ADVERTISE THEY CAN DO!

Really, I'm NOT trying to be snide; emphatic YES. Emphatic about having a REAL WORLD problem that OTHER Ensembles users have; emphatic in explaining that Apogee NOW admits is a problem from their original SELLING POINT (hey it WORKED! I was sold on something that is NOT offered anymore! YAY FOR APOGEE!!!!); and emphatic about NOW knowing that other Firewire interfaces DO indeed support 32 channels at 96k.....

What I was trying to find out is… what was sounding asked in my original post, which I believe I’ve been true to (to my knowledge as a new Ensemble user having read their ads) was…..

Quote:
HOW DO YOU HOOK UP TWO Ensembles?
Quote:

I know that was one of the selling points originally when they were marketing it.....now....NO answers; not in the Ensemble manual, not on the Apogee website, not on OTHER forums (yes Slutz, I DO moonlight on LUG, LogicProHelp and Apple), and I have left emails AND voicemails at Apogee......NADA!

Help me Slutz?
Old 17th September 2008
So I gather that its a matter of FW chaining connectivity and adding 16 inputs [AD] and 16 outputs [DA] of 96K audio down a single FW connection.

Is that the goal at hand? I'm just trying to understand the goals you've set out for with this upgrade.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

MY goal, simply, is to be able to connect TWO Ensemble together to be able to record 16 tracks AT THE SAME TIME.... yes into a single FW connection, YES at 96k would be nice (since other interfaces, like Metric Halo, have proven stable in this regard).

Apogee has no documentation on this other than their SALES ADS that list it as one of their selling points.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I have said many times on posts; this was one of the selling points of Apogee AND continues to be on internet ads.
I don't recall it being a selling point, but I don't know that I paid close attention to everything that was said about it before it shipped...but since it's been available I don't recall seeing any statements from Apogee, anywhere, that said you could chain two of them together. I don't see it on Apogee's website either. Where are you still seeing this claim?
Old 17th September 2008
I can tell you confidently that it is not possible to operate two Ensembles on the FW buss and have them work correctly. I have not tried the aggregate, but in thinking, and using my logic, if its the SAME driver, than how can it be an aggregate? It cannot. Apogee does not support this and the software is not coded to offer two instances of Maestro. You cannot control the second units functionality the same way you can the first.

The fact remains, you must use the added digital I/O to expand the system using the Apogee Driver. If you require different flexibility for your computer, there are ways to achieve what you want with a FW system, just NOT with the Ensemble. In regard to the Ensemble, I have a couple clients using the Ensemble along with a Rosetta 800 and other boutique 2 channel AD/DA on the SPDIF ports, to expand the AD/DA on the system. Some don't need the extra microphone preamps so it makes sense to add the 8 channel AD/DA to have 16 channels @ 48K and certainly when overdubbing 4 track 96K sessions is possible depending on what your trying to accomplish. Personally, there is little to ZERO reason to use 96K with a GREAT CONVERTER in most cases, with FW connection. Its simply not worth the resources used and the disc space involved.

Assuming your on a Mac [referencing Metric Halo] there are a couple of different configurations that will achieve what your needs are with a FW connection. I would suggest the best idea would be the Apogee AD/DA16x units with ONE X-FW card in either unit [which would be then set to Advanced Routing] and ONE DB25 MULTI_WAY AES cable to go between them, and there you will have a 16 channel 96K system without mic amps. You can achieve the same functionality with the Symphony System, however it has faster bandwidth, its optimized for Logic's buffering agility, and allows more I/O than is possible with FW card system. With a Mac, you cannot chain any of the Apogee FW products, with PC OS I don't believe that is the case.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Here's what Apogee support had to say....
Quote:
"To use two Ensembles, you connect one to the Mac via FireWire and then
connect the second Ensemble to the first via ADAT optical. Before
running the two units together, you will need to connect the Ensemble
that will run in Standalone mode to the Mac via FireWire to perform
the appropriate routing in the Maestro software. The proper routing
must be set up on the Output tab of the Maestro Mixer. I have attached
a screenshot of what the Output tab of Maestro should look like for
Standalone mode. Before doing any routing you may want to get Maestro
back to its default state. You can do this by choosing Reset Routing
and Reset Mixer from the Tools menu in Maestro. After performing the
appropriate routing so that your Output tab looks like the screenshot
I sent you, Quit Maestro. Go to Audio MIDI Setup and make sure the
Ensemble is set to the proper sample rate. Now you can detach the
FireWire cable and use the Ensemble in Standalone mode connected to
the first Ensemble via ADAT optical."
It INDEED WAS a selling point when they first came out (that of being able to connect multiple Ensembles together).... YES, it was quickly PULLED from it's promises, I'll give Apogee that, they did indeed STOP reporting it; It was ME who should have done more research before buying.

Thanks again for your responses and help Roc! Yes, I know that MULTIPLE interfaces via Firewire is NEARLY impossible....I say nearly because Metric Halo DOES support it; and up to 96k; they have for quite a while now.

Also, thanks for the input regarding a GOOD converter at a lower sampling rate being as good as 96k. I never gave that thought. AND the HD space issue, yeah, all good stuff to know. And yes, I am using a Mac.

Again, as stated above, Apogee is saying things ARE possible... maybe 2 Ensembles at 44.1k or 48k would be pretty dope!

NOW, the Symphony System DOES look inticing in as STEP UP.
I've thought of getting a Rosetta + Symphony Mobile and RETURN my Ensemble. Thats a about grand more which won't be a problem. BUT, as stated MANY times before, I REALLY like the sound of the Ensemble's pres. So that's what's keeping me afloat. AND, 90-95% of my work doesn't require more than 8 channels at one time; with my being in LOGIC and using the software instruments and audio together, 8 channels is perfect.

Bottom line, Ensemble IS, I must admit a HELLUVA deal for $1,800; it MAY BE the best 8 channel interface there is! Apogee HAS delivered on this point. Tell me another 8 channel FW interface that can beat this? RME? Presonus FF800? MOTU 8pre? Metric Halo (<<<<maybe!)???

BUT I'm an API 3124+/Wunder Audio PAFOUR/Symphony System away from acheiving what I'd eventually want! Oh yeah, also forgot to mention the $14,000!!!!!!!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

you can use two ensembles together to get 14 channels of input at 96k.

ensemble #1 (master) is connected to the computer via fw
ensemble #2 (slave) is in standalone mode with analog 1-4 routed directly to adat (SMUX) and 5-6 routed to spdif. effectively a six channel standalone converter.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'll give her a try! That is.... AFTER I buy my a Metric Halo. I really wanna do a side by side of the two!
Old 19th October 2008
Here for the gear

keep us posted about the comparence!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Ok, I can't find a Metric Halo USED.... or should I say, I can't WIN one.... there have been TWO for sale on eBay in the last month and that is a rarity! I WOULD have won one of them but..... I just won/bought TWO Wunder Audio PEQ1 preamps.... good HEAVENS!!!!!! The Wunder pres are the cat's wiskers!

ALSO, I bought (finally) a pair of Distressors (to go with my Ridge Farm Boiler)... another big WOW! Yes, I know I'm late in the Distressor bandwagon (Wunder bandwagon too!), but it was WORTH the wait! Sooooo, yeah, I've spent $5,000 in the past month on these babies.... the Metric Halo stuff will have to wait.

When I DO get the MH's, I wanna get TWO to see how well 16 channels record at once. I have yet to try to hook up my MOTU 8pre to the Ensemble's ADAT. I have some projects that I MUST get off the bench before I can do the other playful things that I wanna do.

BUT, I WILL keep you posted.... geeze, Wunder Audio! Holy SMOKES!!!!!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I DO get the MH's, I wanna get TWO to see how well 16 channels record at once.

There are folks on the MH list running 3 at once to both record and run FOH. With ADAT, 2 is a no brainer. Even without ADAT, using MH Console Record Panel, 2 would be a no brainer.
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
There are folks on the MH list running 3 at once to both record and run FOH. With ADAT, 2 is a no brainer. Even without ADAT, using MH Console Record Panel, 2 would be a no brainer.
We have customers that run 48-72 tracks at a time on machines with multiple FW busses. I've done 4 box recordings personally- 3 boxes on my MBP's internal bus with the 4th box and drive on an ExpessCard FW800.

Allen
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Holy crap I'm JUST seeing the Metric Halo posts and the demos or their DSP software (what's it called Spectrfoo??) Holy crap!
What can I sell?!?!?!? I wanna get a couple of 2882's!
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Does it work that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post

ensemble #2 (slave) is in standalone mode with analog 1-4 routed directly to adat (SMUX) and 5-6 routed to spdif. effectively a six channel standalone converter.
Old 7th May 2009
Here for the gear

Here is a guide i've done ! ENJOY !!

http://ameliecousineau.com/RICK/THE%...%20CONNECT.pdf
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post

I thought SPDIF was limited to 48khz sample rate? Maybe I'm wrong...

To the OP: It's all already been said, but I'm going to say it again b/c I'm an Ensemble user - You can use two Ensembles to achieve 16 channel i/o @ 48khz. You can get 12 channels at 88.2 or 96. Everything necessary to do this has been posted by various ppl in this thread, namely Adam (Roc Mixwell)(whose company sold my unit, actually) and Idiophonic, among others. One FW Master and one standalone routing out lightpipe, you just have to set it right. Maybe Apogee should have been more responsive, but from this thread, no offense, it didn't seem like you were willing to listen to anybody's comments or suggestions on how to get this done... Also, it's clear from their marketing material that 16 channel functionality only extends to 48khz sample rates (which, as others have said, should be STELLAR compared to other converters in this price range). And if you want to switch to the Metric Halo, that's cool... how much are you selling the Ensemble for?

BTW a little trick w/ the Ensemble to get extra analog outputs:

If you're not using the digital outputs or the headphone jacks, you can get 12 analog outputs simultaneously:

Set HP 1 source to spdif 9-10 and HP 2 source to 11-12, use trs to dual TS cables to bring the (now unbalanced) signal to whereever, and voila. Yes, it's unbalanced and a little hacked, but it's been working great for me. I try not to put the most important tracks on there, tho, naturally...

Edit: Ooh, nice job, asingleday
Old 7th May 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

Apogee absolutely should allow multiple ensembles.

While it may step on the toes of the AD/DA-16x/SYmphony rig. I'd love to double up on my Ensemble.

You can stack loads of MH boxes via FW and you can stack something 12 Prism Orpheus boxes at 48k...

When I upgrade my rig I'm not buying AD/DA16x but I would add more Ensembles to spread the cost.

Sort it out Apogee!

-T
Old 7th May 2009
Apogee is not Metric Halo, and Metric Halo is not Apogee, Go Figure! Apogee makes a great product, Metric Halo makes a Great Product, what's the issue again? Did the other boxes company write the Drivers? No, So you can't expect the same accessibility across different manufactures. I personally WOULD NEVER, no matter which company's product supports it, except a FW device to go beyond the restraints of format and proper usage, the way the protocol was intended to be used.

Oh yea, many SPDIF boxes can support 96K and the Ensemble does support 2-channels of 96K over this port.
RTM
Old 12th May 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
I thought SPDIF was limited to 48khz sample rate? Maybe I'm wrong...

To the OP: It's all already been said, but I'm going to say it again b/c I'm an Ensemble user - You can use two Ensembles to achieve 16 channel i/o @ 48khz. You can get 12 channels at 88.2 or 96. Everything necessary to do this has been posted by various ppl in this thread, namely Adam (Roc Mixwell)(whose company sold my unit, actually) and Idiophonic, among others. One FW Master and one standalone routing out lightpipe, you just have to set it right. Maybe Apogee should have been more responsive, but from this thread, no offense, it didn't seem like you were willing to listen to anybody's comments or suggestions on how to get this done... Also, it's clear from their marketing material that 16 channel functionality only extends to 48khz sample rates (which, as others have said, should be STELLAR compared to other converters in this price range). And if you want to switch to the Metric Halo, that's cool... how much are you selling the Ensemble for?

BTW a little trick w/ the Ensemble to get extra analog outputs:

If you're not using the digital outputs or the headphone jacks, you can get 12 analog outputs simultaneously:

Set HP 1 source to spdif 9-10 and HP 2 source to 11-12, use trs to dual TS cables to bring the (now unbalanced) signal to whereever, and voila. Yes, it's unbalanced and a little hacked, but it's been working great for me. I try not to put the most important tracks on there, tho, naturally...

Edit: Ooh, nice job, asingleday

Thx !! hope it will help many user out there !!
Old 13th May 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

I know you can stack two via adat to get 16 I/O at 48k, which would be cool for me.

Do you reckon there would be any chance of Apogee doing an Ensemble EX.

Just 8 channels of the AD/DA in a rack with no pres, no FW, no headphone amps. Just metering. I reckon they could hit £800 for that and provide users with a decent expansion or provide a mid level alternative to RME converters in an adat rig.

It would be much better than using two ensembles or buying a Rosetta 800.

-T
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Addict

The Ensemble sounds great at 44.1 or 48k... Dan, are you recording at a higher sample rate than that? If not, it is easy to link up 2 Ensembles to run 16 channels. Hell you can even get another converter via spdif and get 18. Is this enough for you. My setup is one Ensemble, one Focusrite Octapre, and a Dbx 386 for a total of 18 ins. I have a Frontier Designs Tango to add 8 channels of outs so I have 16 outs. Runs rock solid in every session big or small.

If you want higher sample rates you might want to listen to the guy with the 14 channel idea. That would work too. The metric Halo stuff rocks too, but IMHO it's not nearly as good as the Ensemble from a sound standpoint.

This isn't rocket science.
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

WOW! Old threads come back to haunt me LOL

Just so you know, I just recently sold my Ensemble and bought a Metric Halo 2882 and I won't be looking back! And so you know, the Metric Halo sounds just as good as the Apogee and has more headroom. Plus, Apogee's stuff is too boosted in the highs sometimes. Sounds nice, but it's hard to always have to manage that.
Also, the MIO mixer and the plugs/DSP you get with the Metric Halo stuff makes it a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonviolin View Post
The Ensemble sounds great at 44.1 or 48k... Dan, are you recording at a higher sample rate than that? If not, it is easy to link up 2 Ensembles to run 16 channels. Hell you can even get another converter via spdif and get 18. Is this enough for you. My setup is one Ensemble, one Focusrite Octapre, and a Dbx 386 for a total of 18 ins. I have a Frontier Designs Tango to add 8 channels of outs so I have 16 outs. Runs rock solid in every session big or small.

If you want higher sample rates you might want to listen to the guy with the 14 channel idea. That would work too. The metric Halo stuff rocks too, but IMHO it's not nearly as good as the Ensemble from a sound standpoint.

This isn't rocket science.
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Head

Reviving an old thread, but I just bought an ensemble and was hoping to get a few more. This is from apogee:

Greetings Chris,

With every Mac OS update we test the stability of aggregating multiple Ensembles. You'll want to visit our website periodically for information on when this becomes officially supported.

Best Regards,

Jay Wolf

Tech Support Specialist
Apogee Electronics, Corp.
1715 Berkeley Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
[email protected]
310-584-9394
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

I would try it! If you could hook them up both via Firewire and use them as as an Aggregate Device then you could control both of your Ensembles' sets of preamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmsound View Post
Reviving an old thread, but I just bought an ensemble and was hoping to get a few more. This is from apogee:

Greetings Chris,

With every Mac OS update we test the stability of aggregating multiple Ensembles. You'll want to visit our website periodically for information on when this becomes officially supported.

Best Regards,

Jay Wolf

Tech Support Specialist
Apogee Electronics, Corp.
1715 Berkeley Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
[email protected]
310-584-9394

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search