The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Question Any rumor of a Uad-2??

(moderator note - OLD THREADS merged into one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Please see the last pages of this thread for the latest discussion!)

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about an updated Uad-1. I am considering purchasing one and would hate for a new one to come out 2 weeks later.
Thanks -
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

I haven't heard of anything but I'd love to see them come out with a PCI Express version of their next hardware.
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

I think they would have shown it at the AES, don't you?
Old 11th November 2004
Re: Any rumor of a Uad-2??

Quote:
Originally posted by oortnyc
Just curious if anyone has heard anything about an updated Uad-1. I am considering purchasing one and would hate for a new one to come out 2 weeks later.
Thanks -
it's OT, but i couldn't resist... heh

it was fun for me reading your post, because i've asked just 3-4 days ago the same question in a german audio forum. i'm just in the same situation like you and i hate it to buy gear just to see new product/upgrade announcements 4 months later

as far as i know now, there is NOTHING about coming out soon an uad-2.

deft:::
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

Indeed, no rumors whatsoever about an UAD-2.
I was expecting (hoping for) an updated version for over a year already tho heh

I don't get it: the UAD-1 is based around a cheap graphics processor, should be fairly easy to update it with a newer compatible graphics chip without raising the cost. Those chips became lotsa cheaper the last year.

Then again, if you can sell 2 cards instead of 1 ...

When buying an UAD-1 you pay for the plugins, not for the DSP power on the card. Wouldn't be surprised if the card itself doesn't cost UAudio more then $100.
Now when you buy 2 cards for the additional DSP power, you have also payed for (a number of) the plugins twice.
Better business model huh?
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

Give the man a prize.

And it's still selling so why supercede it until interest has died down? For all I know, they could have already havea new one done and are waiting for that very thing to happen.

Call me a cynic
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

I would think they would have it done also.. I thought last Jan. it would come out - surprised it has gone this long without a revision. But as many have stated they get more when you buy more, and I've read that some users have up to three cards installed.

I really thought AES was the ticket.. now I would guess the NAMM show in Jan.

How long has it been 3-4-5 years?
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

I'm about to plunk down $1300 for my first two UAD-1 cards, and I've been asking that question all day long. What about PCI-X support (other than current)?

My answer to myself is that even if they do release a PCI-X UAD-1 next week, they surely won't come out with all new plugins, and I would hope they wouldn't make me buy all the plugins again, even if they have to port them for a different standard.

Then again, if I have to, I'm sure someone here will buy the old ones for 75% of what I paid.
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by max cooper
Then again, if I have to, I'm sure someone here will buy the old ones for 75% of what I paid.
Wouldn't be too sure of that. it's fair to assume a UAD-2 would be twice as powerfull as a UAD-1 for the same price: $999 for the Studio Pack.

Your $1300euro dual card setup would devaluate a lot more if that's the case. Worth 50% at max i'd say.

Then again, never see DSP cards as investment, they devaluate superfast.
Old 12th November 2004
Gear Maniac

i think they're gonna wanna come out with something soon to raise the bar - at least to keep me as a user. I own a uad- and use the Pultec Pro and Cambridge - but newer plugs from sonalksis and voxengo (in particular) and Kjaerus are more and more ending up filling my chains,

when i think about why - it has a lot to do with "vision" and UI - Uad's "emulations" are great tonally - but restrictive in flexibility and control. Some newer plugs are innovating in the UI so much to allow totally new ways of addressing eq/transients, and ultimately tone. the forward thinking new tools are really starting to raise the bar.
Old 12th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your $1300euro dual card setup would devaluate a lot more if that's the case. Worth 50% at max i'd say.

Then again, never see DSP cards as investment, they devaluate superfast.
Absolutely. I know any computer related stuff takes a resale nosedive over any amount of time.

Still, if they're worth 50% when and IF the so far nonexistent UAD-2 comes out, I'd say it'll be worth it for the use I'll get out of the plugins in the mean time.

Also, I was thinking the UAD-2 that's not coming out would be PCI-X when and IF it comes out, and most people's computers only support PCI, so there'd be a built in market for my UAD-1. Also, I think the reason a PCI-X UAD-2 is NOT coming out is due to the fact that so few computers support PCI-X.

PLUS I'd assume that I could keep the UAD-1 Studio Pak because maybe they'd let me buy Project Paks of UAD-2 and keep my old licenses (wishful thinking?) It's all an exercise in typing since none of this looks to be happening.

Good points, DrDM
Old 12th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by spherop
I own a uad- and use the Pultec Pro and Cambridge - but newer plugs from sonalksis and voxengo (in particular) and Kjaerus are more and more ending up filling my chains,
wITH ME IT HAS BEEN THE OPPOSITE.

i FIND THE uad PLUG-INS GIVE ME EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR WHEN TURNING THE KNOVS i WAS FAMILIAR WITH.
Old 12th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDeltaM
Wouldn't be too sure of that. it's fair to assume a UAD-2 would be twice as powerfull as a UAD-1 for the same price: $999 for the Studio Pack.
I would say it could (and should) be up to 8 times as powerful if it's been, like someone suggested, 5 years already.

Spacey
Old 12th November 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, my predictions were very humble ;-)

Max: you're very right about the fact that when you buy now, you have all those great plugs now to use on your music. And that's the only thing that counts in the end
Otherwise, you could always be waiting for the next big thing (that's only just speculation often) and are not productive at all...
Old 12th November 2004
Lives for gear

Who knows. maybe they'll have an upgrade path.

If a new single card had even 4 times the power, maybe you could get a certain amount of trad-in value for each card you trade in.
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

I dunno, but I just got the two UAD cards installed an running in 20 minutes, RTAS wrapper included. Kudos to UA for making the thing pretty easy to register. Not really any frustrating BS.

First thing I did was fire a mix and hit it with the Pultec Pro. 60 CPS and 8K sound pretty spot on to me. So far seems worth the price of admission for the Pultec Pro and Fairchild.
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

I am mixingh 2 songs for an album that is being released in Januray. All the other sonmsgw ere mixied in big studio's, SSL's. You know the deal.
We were A/B ing the songs I've been doign all in Nuendo with the UAD's as the main plug-ins. And they stand up fine, quality wise.

That was my concern mixing these 2 songs. I wanted to make sure that they would stand out as somewhat inferior.

UAD number 3 is on it's way.
Next stop. A TC Powercore. mainly for reverbs.
Old 13th November 2004
Gear Maniac

So do you get the pultec pro with the studio pak?
The only non-included plug is the new Limiter?
Thanks -
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

I got carried away typing posts in this thread about installing a couple of UAD-1 cards:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...threadid=22923

I tried to be as in depth as possible for those considering the UAD. Lemme know if there are other questions. There's a full list of what ya get, etc...
Old 17th January 2005
Gear Nut

when the gear is still good and will be cheaper because of the newer generation i have no prob to buy it...

i stll havent switched from pt mix...

im just using native as an addition and i want to add an uad as well... i guess thats ok to me...
Old 17th January 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
[i]
when i think about why - it has a lot to do with "vision" and UI - Uad's "emulations" are great tonally - but restrictive in flexibility and control. Some newer plugs are innovating in the UI so much to allow totally new ways of addressing eq/transients, and ultimately tone. the forward thinking new tools are really starting to raise the bar. [/B]
The 3 new processors from Elemental Audio seem to be causing a stir, and a big factor in that is due to their innovative flexible interfaces, that capitalise on the fact that a processor need'y just be a set of knobs with a VU meter, and that computers can do things old analopg boxes can't.

I've not checked the demos out yet, as everyone says that as soon as you do, you will end up buying them....
Old 17th January 2005
Lives for gear

I've not checked the demos out yet, as everyone says that as soon as you do, you will end up buying them....

Naah. I think they sound like they look, cold and clinical.
Old 2nd January 2008

Exclamation UAD2

See page 13 for reference to Empirical Labs first plug in - the Fatso for UAD2 -
http://www.thenammshow.com/files/pdfs/NS08_Playback_Supplement.pdf

Empirical Labs’ first software plug-in, the Fatso for UAD2.

Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Guru

get ready for a deletion.
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

old news
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

yeah what was the reason for the last post being taken down.....any mods care to comment?
Old 2nd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
get ready for a deletion.

why?
Old 2nd January 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
You'd think companies today would get the fact that you can't stop the spread of information in the modern age of the internet, blogs, etc.

The cat's out of the bag. Deal with it.
Old 2nd January 2008

why wouldnt GS be hip with this type of thing

GS doesnt work for UA - i would think GS would be stoked to have its users notice the leak first
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
why wouldnt GS be hip with this type of thing

GS doesnt work for UA - i would think GS would be stoked to have its users notice the leak first
One thread about all this was already deleted. And remember the threads deletions about the Euphonix controller leak. Gearslutz doesn't work for these companies but these companies pay for advertising on Gearsluts and thus it is in there best interest to comply to non-disclosure I would imagine.

I really don't see the issue with this though. It was leaked by NAMM themselves right? There's threads everywhere about this already, even Chris Milnes UAD forums. No hurt in having it here to.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search