The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

fukkers
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

I need a new preamp as badly as I need another compressor plugin. And DVD's? I would hope that after the thousands I have spent on equipment over the years, I would at least know how to use it by now!
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just wondering why they do not release new card. Are there any technical difficulties to make more efficient DSP card?
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
I'm just wondering why the do not release new card? Is there any technical difficulties to make more efficient DSP card?
Because they originally coded their plugs for a obsolete boutique video/dsp card (mpact). Now they are in a dillemna to have to recode completely for a new dsp platform yet somehow try to maintain backwards compatibility. THey kind of farked themselves in the long run.

I still say the best solution would be "native" using a UAD1 as a dongle. Best of both worlds. You wouldn't be limited by the old dsp yet UA could continue to sell there seemingly limitless supply of mpact processors.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

They do release a new card. Not yet but they´re working on it. Not native.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

DVDS! Fuk yeah, I'm psyched!
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

I really don't think there's any technical problem, other than debugging. It's not too terribly hard to do ports...you can get DSP porting experts readily in the valley. The user interfaces don't need to be ported. If they're struggling technically it would only be because of turf battles (someone ineffective has seized control). They've had years to work on the next generation of this.

No I think they feel their current model is working and there's no need to change it just yet. They like the idea of limited instances. The biggest insult would be if they started selling expansion chassis but at the moment all that revenue just goes to their competitor, digidesign.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Because they originally coded their plugs for a obsolete boutique video/dsp card (mpact). Now they are in a dillemna to have to recode completely for a new dsp platform yet somehow try to maintain backwards compatibility. THey kind of farked themselves in the long run.

I still say the best solution would be "native" using a UAD1 as a dongle. Best of both worlds. You wouldn't be limited by the old dsp yet UA could continue to sell there seemingly limitless supply of mpact processors.
I see. Do you know how fast their mpact card? One 3Ghz quad Intel chip is equivalent to how many UAD mpact card?
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

All you suckers who are so sure of yourselves before NAMM should maybe reconsider your high-and-mighty pronouncements!

Old 17th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
They do release a new card. Not yet but they´re working on it. Not native.
Now you again. heh

Are you just deceived by blind optimism, or do you know something nobody else knows?

Or are you just pulling our leg? tuttheh
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Its a shame that they are really behind on this! They have some of the hottest plugs, but since they started coming out with all the new plugins that bomb the card in one instant I stop buying there plugins. Its a new age as far as processing power is concern! Go native and forget about that stupid fuking card! either that or make a quad core dual dsp card and then you will have my money!
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
I'm just wondering why they do not release new card. Are there any technical difficulties to make more efficient DSP card?
I don't know why they do no release a new card with more processors on the card. Didn't the Powercore firewire get updated to having more processors on board? I was shocked last year the firewire card was not more powerful.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Go native and forget about that stupid fuking card! either that or make a quad core dual dsp card and then you will have my money!
Exactly, UAD plugins ain´t that special anyway... URS CSP, Waves API and so on are just as good, if not better. So move along, nothing to see here!

For me DSP power is all about the extra power, not the freaking plugins. I own 4 UAD-1 cards and I say, nothing special! I only bought them because of the hype and desperate need for some extra power. (Now I know I should have saved that money for MAC Pro or something more useful). Stay native if you don´t want headaches for your DAW! So do yourself a favor and stay away from this overpriced and overrated "DSP system".
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
Exactly, UAD plugins ain´t that special anyway... URS CSP, Waves API and so on are just as good, if not better. So move along, nothing to see here!
.. man, you need to upgrade your ears.. URS, CSP, Waves? Thanks.. I needed a good chuckle!

- bManic

PS. I don't own any UA products. No, not even an UAD-1 as I think the concept is ridiculous. More power is needed.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

At this point I seriously think that if UAD could beef up the hardware, they would. I mean basically every customer they have now would upgrade plus all the holdouts (new customers). There can be no bigger incentive or ROI. Perhaps they know that none of you are going anywhere, and, perhaps they feel that people like me (that won't buy the current version) won't break them financially. After all there's more of you than there are of us. Sad really, because the love/hate thing is driving me crazy!!

Last edited by ToneCre8; 17th January 2008 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Because they originally coded their plugs for a obsolete boutique video/dsp card (mpact). Now they are in a dillemna to have to recode completely for a new dsp platform.
The plugs were already availible on PT TDM a while back until they pulled the deal, so they already ported them over to PPC chips, and before they released their cards, they were tested natively as well. So porting obviously isn't a problem. If they wanted to make a FW box like PoCo with PPC chips they could, it's more a matter of what they want to do, and nobody seems to know. I do know this though, if they stick with that Video GPU much longer and don't upgrade it or switch GPU/CPU's, their going to sink.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Some days I wonder what I'm going to do when I have effectively unlimited UAD power, Delay Compensation, hardware expansion and UAD integration in ProTools LE, the ability to run Logic's VIs in Pro Tools, NI VIs that don't crash every 15 minutes, inexpensive add-on plugs for the Duende, and 6 slots built-in to a Mac Pro.

But then I realize these companies are putting these arbitrary limits on my ability to work to build character. That's it. If I had nothing to complain about, my raison d'etre would dissolve into thin air. I'd just fall asleep in my Mirra chair and never care about gear again.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Addict

cry me a river peeder.. theres always workarounds. no one has it perfect.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
.. man, you need to upgrade your ears.. URS, CSP, Waves? Thanks.. I needed a good chuckle!

- bManic

PS. I don't own any UA products. No, not even an UAD-1 as I think the concept is ridiculous. More power is needed.

I have pretty much all the UAD plugs but on a lot of sources I will use the URS trip Pro
and the waves SSL E strip.I use these not because the UAD has run out of resources but because they are right for the Mix.

Another great Native plug in is the Abbey road compressor

Oh and by the way I think my ears are fine
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

16.006 views !! that's how many people are hoping for a uad-2
ua please read this, give us slutz the right power for your plugs
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 View Post
At this point I seriously think that if UAD could beef up the hardware, they would. I mean basically every customer they have now would upgrade plus all the holdouts (new customers). There can be no bigger incentive or ROI. Perhaps they know that none of you are going anywhere, and, perhaps they feel that people like me (that won't buy the current version) won't break them financially. After all there's more of you than there are of us. Sad really, because the love/hate thing is driving me crazy!!
I can see, and smell, the blood, sweat and tears expunged fashioning this mystical new device, the UAD2 (codename "thistimeitspersonal"). They know.. they must..
Soon we will all be laughing with them over a warm beer about the 3 year delay over the colour* of the box...

*USA: color
Old 18th January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingduck View Post
*USA: color

Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think this issue is overlooked quite often. The more plugins they release the bigger it gets. It's not like TC Electronic who just put another 4 Motorolas into the Powercore 8 and that's it. Any new card would make the UAD1 obsolete.
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

My guess is that UA dissapointed a lot of people and they will be "compensated" with a phat voucher to LURE people into the UA store next month. Have fun boggin' down your cards.
Old 18th January 2008
Gear Guru

I haven't bought any plugs since the 33609 and that was completely with vouchers and I don't plan to buy anymore unless with vouchers until they get a viable solution. It's obvious even UA realize they are falling behind in sales and technology. New promos/vouchers every month for awhile now. Now they are discounting the card bundles. Sales have slowed I am sure. Competition has grown.
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

UAD2! Please DSP GODS!!!!!heh
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

hella disappointing there's no new UAD card.......what the **** are the engineers over there doing? i want a small firewire break-out box with the power of 4 uad cards. AND NOT A MAGMA :p
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
Yeah. And Mercedes are not that great of cars, either. Kia, Hyundai, Mazda are just as good. I mean, aren't they?

Different opinions, but in my book the UAD-1 plugins own most everything else, with the occasional rare exception Native plugin that is actually mildly competitive.
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
hella disappointing there's no new UAD card.......what the **** are the engineers over there doing? i want a small firewire break-out box with the power of 4 uad cards. AND NOT A MAGMA :p
Firewire is just not going to handle the traffic for 4 cards worth of realworld DSP use. It's just not. There are unavoidable technical reasons for my statement.

ExpressCard, at a minimum.
Old 18th January 2008
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search