The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba View Post
They should release another SE plugin called "Moog Drive" with only the Drive functions of that filter! "Subtle change in distortion" my ass--that distortion is sweet! I see myself buying this plugin mainly for the distortion, not necessarily the R2D2 noises (which would be cool, as well).

In the webzine it says the bypass function turns off the filters and such, but leaves the input drive on. So you will be able to use it as pure distortion.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I think after the newness wears off, a LOT of people will come to the same conclusion.
If you need more power, then you'll need to buy it. If you don't...You don't. Untill they tell us that the fatso can't run on UAD-1.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Considering that most studios already own plug-in suites, I just can't see UAD2 being cost effective for most people.
If they already own all the plug-in suites they need, why would they be considering the UAD-2 or any other plug-in suite in the first place? The cards are for the person who is considering adding e.g. a Waves suite but realizes they can put that same money into a UAD-2 and wind up with better quality plug-ins.
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Nut

I think the new cards look priced OK. Right in line with the T.C. stuff...

Only beef: allow you to transfer your current plugins from your UAD-1 to your UAD-2 free of charge for a limited time - wtf? you already bought the plug-ins?

Meh... not impressive. Dangerous tactic when native stuff (like Sonnox) is raising the bar. I'm a UAD fanboy, but that was a shock.

Everything else looks cool. I'm sure it will sound.. well.. like UA DSP... which really is great.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundling View Post

Only beef: allow you to transfer your current plugins from your UAD-1 to your UAD-2 free of charge for a limited time - wtf? you already bought the plug-ins?

Good point, I would think it's only a few clicks of a mouse to transfer the plugins
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

This really isn't very impressive, is it:
UAD Forums • View topic - Installed a UAD2 Solo Today - some initial info
(7 mono Plate 140's, or 6 mono Nve 33609's fill up a Solo card)
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
22 mono Pultecs Pros, though.

The 140 and 33609 are interesting to benchmark as they eat proc power for breakfast. Gives you a sense of pure lifting power. A better, real-world gauge, perhaps, would be to throw in a bunch 1176 LNs or 1073s, plugs mixers typically run in bulk during session.

In any case, the Solo's an entry-level card, for sure. I'd think anyone looking to step up their existing UAD set-up would look past them unless that's all they could afford. If you're just getting started with home-based DAW stuff, though, I imagine the Solo would seem pretty cool.

FWIW: I know on my Intel MacPro you can assign a through-put priority for PCIe slots. I imagine that'd factor in as well. Plus, you can also optimize address priority within Digital Performer ("low" gets you the best).

I bought a Duo (to run with my UAD-1). Should get it next week. I'll probably run a few tests and post some numbers here.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundling View Post

Meh... not impressive. Dangerous tactic when native stuff (like Sonnox) is raising the bar. I'm a UAD fanboy, but that was a shock.

Everything else looks cool. I'm sure it will sound.. well.. like UA DSP... which really is great.
I´m going to get the duo as soon as they are available. It can run simultaneously with my current 4 UAD-1 cards, doubling it´s power and i can use the low latency mode on top.
I get the Precision bundle for free and I get to transfer my plugs for free as well.

When i get to sell the Magma, i´ll buy a quad and that´s it.
I can´t say it´s a bad deal.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
22 mono Pultecs Pros, though. (...) A better, real-world gauge, perhaps, would be to throw in a bunch 1176 LNs or 1073s
You're right.

Quote:
I bought a Duo (to run with my UAD-1). Should get it next week. I'll probably run a few tests and post some numbers here.
Please do so, that would be interesting!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
22 mono Pultecs Pros, though.

The 140 and 33609 are interesting to benchmark as they eat proc power for breakfast. Gives you a sense of pure lifting power. A better, real-world gauge, perhaps, would be to throw in a bunch 1176 LNs or 1073s, plugs mixers typically run in bulk during session.

In any case, the Solo an entry-level card, for sure. I'd think anyone looking to step up their existing UAD set-up would look past them unless that's all they could afford. If you're just getting started with home-based DAW stuff, though, I imagine the Solo would seem pretty cool.

FWIW: I know on my Intel MacPro you can assign a through-put priority for PCIe slots. I imagine that'd factor in as well. You can also optimize address priority within Digital Performer ("low" gets you the best).

Quote:
6 mono Neve 33609's filled it up
This isn't impressive? I assume this probably translates to three stereo 33609's. That's more than enough for my bussing needs that I would use this particular comp on and the quad will allow me quite a few mono instances for bass/vox/guitar tracks. It took just one stereo 33609 to pretty much max out a UAD-1.

I like the 140, but I would seldom use more than one in a mix. I use mostly outboard verbs and Cambridge is only an issue for me if I need to fix something that was FU'ed during tracking (or for mastering surgery). The 88-RS comps and channel EQ's and the standalones like the 1073/1081, Pultec and Helios are my main issues with this card. It does sorta' irk me that I'm gonna have to wait around for the Precision series plugins as I sometimes use them on the master bus during mixes and on the rare occasions when I have to reluctantly wear the mastering hat.

Looks like a quad card is gonna do me just fine. Looks like 2 x quads will provide the proper quotient of wretched excess to which I intend to become accustomed.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
That says it all, doesn't it? PCI doesn't have the bandwidth to support UAD-2's.
I have a Mac Pro. The problem is the thing doesn't work in Pro Tools and many of the plugins don't run on it anyway. This is a half-baked release...an early beta.

I charge for beta testing, rather than pay for it.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Ah.. British and Australian Informal

I learn a little bit of everything on GS! heh
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

We're doing trade-ins of UAD-1's towards UAD-2's now:

Search Results : JRRshop.com
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
We're doing trade-ins of UAD-1's towards UAD-2's now:

Search Results : JRRshop.com
Can I wait to send my UAD-1's in for the $100 each after they a) have Pro Tools supported and b) have all the plugins (other than Nigel OK) running on it?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

from the interview with Matt Boudreau in the latest UA Webzine:

understand that you switched to Cubase for this project, in order to use the UAD-2. Were you apprehensive about using Cubase?

No, not at all. I actually had started playing with Cubase a few weeks earlier, because I did some tests with another record I was working on, and to my surprise, found that the summing bus in Cubase just sounded better than Pro Tools. It was smoother in the top end. And I've been using Pro Tools for over ten years. That's why we tracked in it, because I'm more comfortable tracking in Pro Tools. So going over to Cubase for this was not an experiment, it was just a decision based on sound. It sounded better. It sounded smoother, more open .

UA & Steinberg vs Digidesign
who will win?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
from the interview with Matt Boudreau in the latest UA Webzine:

understand that you switched to Cubase for this project, in order to use the UAD-2. Were you apprehensive about using Cubase?

No, not at all. I actually had started playing with Cubase a few weeks earlier, because I did some tests with another record I was working on, and to my surprise, found that the summing bus in Cubase just sounded better than Pro Tools. It was smoother in the top end. And I've been using Pro Tools for over ten years. That's why we tracked in it, because I'm more comfortable tracking in Pro Tools. So going over to Cubase for this was not an experiment, it was just a decision based on sound. It sounded better. It sounded smoother, more open .

who will win?
Someone do a straight up ITB mono mix (to prevent pan law issues) no plugins Cubase and Pro Tools and null them. I will be very interested to see if there's something odd about the Cubase "mix bus"...most often, joe's 1 + 1 and tom's 1 + 1 both give you back the same kind of 2.

(This could be one of many things that the engineer might not realize, such as latency compensation, etc. or it could be an expectation bias thing)
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
who will win?
Logic?
Old 30th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Ah.. British and Australian Informal

I learn a little bit of everything on GS! heh
Just tryin' to close that colonial gap. heh
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Addict

I waited a couple of days to post my reaction to the release and to be honest, I was a little disappointed, thou I will eventually buy a Quad. Originally I was all ready and psyched up to buy one the day of the launch, but besides the live mode there is nothing that the UAD-2 offers right now that I feel I want right now.

I previously owned about half of the available plugins before, so I now what most sound like. I was just hoping that UA would close the gap between hardware and itself even more or come up with a product that would attract me(ie a no/low latency mixer with summing emulation). I can't wait for them to take advantage of all that power.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think UA would have been wise to release UAD2 with a highly anticipated plugin to get people buying NOW instead of when they get around to it. I'm in the latter of the two...
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
I think UA would have been wise to release UAD2 with a highly anticipated plugin to get people buying NOW instead of when they get around to it. I'm in the latter of the two...
My words exactly. However I'm sure that the Moog Filter isn't far off now.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

BTW, thanks to the mod for merging multiple conversations about this exciting release into this one bulbous 50+ page thread.

Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
My words exactly. However I'm sure that the Moog Filter isn't far off now.
that's what i was thinking too.
did you see that the demo video of the moog filter is "UAD-1" ??

well, if the moog filter takes "only" the power of 1 of my uad-1 cards
i really have to think about upgrading. i might just stick to my 2 uad-1 cards
till later next year ...

Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
that's what i was thinking too.
did you see that the demo video of the moog filter is "UAD-1" ??

well, if the moog filter takes "only" the power of 1 of my uad-1 cards
i really have to think about upgrading. i might just stick to my 2 uad-1 cards
till later next year ...

Apparently it's even more of a DSP hog than the 33609. 1 per UAD-1 card.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Any idea what resolution he was running? 48 / 96 ?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Apparently it's even more of a DSP hog than the 33609. 1 per UAD-1 card.
Only 10 per Quad then? Holy Moly! Not that you'd ever need ten but if the new plugs are all dsp hogs like that then a 4 Quads system isn't that unrealistic in the future
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Maniac

@ Jorg and Peeder

LOL its called freeze track guys!
Old 30th August 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
I love that the plugs take up that much DSP power. Tells me they've cut no corners on the coding and the sonics of the plugs, which is more important to me than # of instances. Can't wait.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I love that the plugs take up that much DSP power. Tells me they've cut no corners on the coding and the sonics of the plugs, which is more important to me than # of instances. Can't wait.

I'm hoping this was some sort of joke, but it seems too believable on gearslutz
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrising View Post
@ Jorg and Peeder

LOL its called freeze track guys!
haha. Yeah, that and right back where we started.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search