The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th August 2008
For those who now want to piss on this (which us non whingers knew they would).

If you bought a UAD 1, then you got what you paid for. Yes the power was seriously limited. But you could have always stayed native.

Personally I bought into UAD when my PC (at the time) wouldn't let me run enough native plugs to complete a mix, they way I wanted. I didn't know anything about the quality of the plugs I just wanted something to give me extra mixing power, and that it did.

It then got to the point that I prefered UAD plugs over native (Waves, Sonalksis etc). So I wanted more UAD power and then the limitations of the card became a little frustrating so I bought a second.

Now I will buy a Dou to go with my current 1 x UAD 1. That's all I need as now I have some natives I like equally (Sony Ox, Tri Tone).

So now you whingers have a choice

A) If you don't like UA plugs, then don't buy the UAD 1 or 2.
B) If you have a UAD 1 and you don't like the; look, prices, policies of UA re 2, then don't buy it.

For us guys that like the plugs and want more power and less whinging we'll buy it, make better, faster mixes and be happy in our investment.

UA have to make some cash back on the R&D of UAD 2, and now have to code plugs for 2 technologies (for now!), and they are still in a very niche market, so stands to reason that the price point of 2 is what it is.

Stop whinging about something that is not affecting you and go do some mixing!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear
It's gonna be 2009. You think they'll consider mousewheel control already? With shift/control modifiers?
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
if I ever catch a girlfriend cheating on me I will punish her by making her read every post in this thread.

With one eye shut.

heh
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I think after the newness wears off, a LOT of people will come to the same conclusion.
yes we know where your priorities are... dfegad
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
if I ever catch a girlfriend cheating on me I will punish her by making her read every post in this thread.

With one eye shut.

She only has to read your posts... that's punishment enough fuuck
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'll add a I feel a little cheated purchasing this Uad 1 card a just a few months ago. The card doesn't even work to let me use all the plugins, so the new card would of fixed most of that. There good, but would be coolerif they helped the customers out that were late to the game, possibly a bit sneaky on there part..
Old 30th August 2008
I feel like this thread is going off track...

A few thoughts:

- I don´t feel it´s an insult if UA charges to authorize plugs from UAD-1 to UAD-2 after a known date. If you use native plugs when there was a switch from lets say OS 9 to OS X you had to pay for most of the plugs you own, if not all of them correct? So why UA let the "upgrade" free forever?? If you read btw the lines, they´re already thinking "power users who own lot´s of our plugs will jump in and make the auth as soon as they can" just to not loose the deal.

- I think a quad is enought power for any one to mix UAD only if they want... unless you have something like... 100 channels....

- All I care is quality... right now I´m trying to think what would be the best DEAL for me, since I want to have the Neve plugins first... so, maybe I´ll go Nevana 64 and If I need something later on, I´ll get a Single Flexi...

I won´t buy the thing until I read the real world reviews from real users... but I think UAD-2 is an OK deal right now.

Peeder, I´m curious why won´t you upgrade?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

B) If you have a UAD 1 and you don't like the; look, prices, policies of UA re 2, then don't buy it.

For us guys that like the plugs and want more power and less whinging we'll buy it, make better, faster mixes and be happy in our investment.

UA have to make some cash back on the R&D of UAD 2, and now have to code plugs for 2 technologies (for now!), and they are still in a very niche market, so stands to reason that the price point of 2 is what it is.

Stop whinging about something that is not affecting you and go do some mixing
UA and Steinberg have something in common now:
VST only

thats where there priorities are
you are sure you will not need RTAS plugins for mixing?
Old 30th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
UA and Steinberg have something in common now:
VST only

thats where there priorities are
you are sure you will not need RTAS plugins for mixing?
UA have AU and MAS plugins too...
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Frankly this whole thing makes perfect sense for me..
About two months ago I bought a Flexi pack and an Expert pack for around $1100 brand new... The bundle gave me $1800 worth of vouchers which I used to buy everything I wanted... Now I bought the Quad Flexi at $1650, which includes $750 of vouchers with the crossgrade. That makes a total of $2750 which includes $2550 worth of vouchers and 3 cards!

Quad is all I need, so I can rinse the other two cards for about $300 - $400 and come out at $2400 for $2550 of plugins - i.e cards for free!

I understand that if you dont go all out like this, it doesnt really add up, but considering that you want to buy most of the plugins at some point anyway if you get into the UAD's, why not just invest from the beginning and reap the rewards?
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I know 1 company who is definitely not happy with the new UAD-2

MAGMA!!! hehhehheh
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I'll add a I feel a little cheated purchasing this Uad 1 card a just a few months ago. . . . . . . but would be coolerif they helped the customers out that were late to the game, possibly a bit sneaky on there part..

That little UAD-1 is worth $250 to you for each UAD-2 quad you buy, up to $1000 ! ! ! !
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
That little UAD-1 is worth $250 to you for each UAD-2 quad you buy, up to $1000 ! ! ! !
Exactly... All this voucher stuff isnt hard cash, but then again the debate was never whether these plugs are good or not. Theyve made a big difference in my sound, to the extent that I never really got from Waves, except from the API stuff. PLus the upgrades are free, no WUP, or WUSS or whatever...
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post

Wow thanks! I didnt realize we had those options. The point was that I WANTED to buy them. The pricing is just absurd. Considering that most studios already own plug-in suites, I just can't see UAD2 being cost effective for most people.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I could have seen moving the "UAD2 is grossly overpriced" to the moan zone, but wtf is this? How do you expect anyone to make sense of this thread now? The title is now "UAD2 is a PCIE card".
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It's gonna be 2009. You think they'll consider mousewheel control already? With shift/control modifiers?

v5 supports mouse wheel even on UAD1 cards on Mac oSX
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
What the hell is a whinger?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I agree... Not a good idea to converge 2 different discussions. I can't figure out where the hell I was before. Lock one of them... Leave the other open.tutt
Old 30th August 2008
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Wow thanks! I didnt realize we had those options. The point was that I WANTED to buy them. The pricing is just absurd. Considering that most studios already own plug-in suites, I just can't see UAD2 being cost effective for most people.
Don't sweat it Dave - It's a silly post by another silly UAD Fanboy who refuses to read before spewing all over the net....

and btw.. I am a UAD fan and heavy user but at least I'm not so far up UADs a** that I can think clearly and question a questionable at best marketing and roll out strategy
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I agree... Not a good idea to converge 2 different discussions. I can't figure out where the hell I was before. Lock one of them... Leave the other open.tutt
seems like a hint that we should not buy itheh
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Hmm... and why was it moved out of the New Products forum? It definitely qualifies..
Old 30th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
They should be selling these cards at cost to get people in the boat. The video game industry uses this strategy very effectively. For instance, I'd be a new UAD user, so once I buy the card, I'd still have to pay for extra plugs to really get the most out of the card. I'm looking at AT LEAST 1k in plugs if I were to choose everything I like.

Let me ask you this: Do you think people will be buying the solo and duo 5 years from now? It would have been much smarter to build only quad cards to lower the overall cost. I'm sorry, but the specs on the solo card are quite unimpressive. The quad should be somewhere between $500 and $1k. No matter how you slice it, this is not groundbreaking technology. I was really interested in buying UAD2, but I'd rather invest $1500 in a kickass DIY PC using the plugs I already own. Bummer.
Its a fair point.

However considering UAD1 cards are still selling 7 years down the line shows people still want to use their plugins. 2.5x the power isnt amaziing - but its enough to do a small mix and use their plugins for a hobbyist. I think its good that they have created a scalable model - so people can get in where they can afford it. Creating only a QUAD would have priced many potential buyers out of the market - in order to obtain the gains you mention - for a smaller high - end market...
Look they are a business - aiming for business accross different levels.
2.5x, and 5x the power of a UAD1 card is lots of DSP to get a mix done - whether or not its the most DSP they could have possibly fitted on a card (using whatever technology) - surely the end result is you can use their plugs to get a quality mix done. That is the most important thing - over how many 1s and 0s you can crunch...?

If you can build a PC thats powerful and run say - 100s of native plugins - for less than a QUAD - thats totally cool and a reasonable choice. I could probably just use over 500 instances of Logics built in EQ in my Mac Pro if I wanted - but I'd rather use a higher quality algorithm found in the UAD collection.....I am quite happy with a DUO and a few other good native plugs I have as well. Is it essential to mix ONLY UAD? The DUO price is reasonable. And it can be upscaled as funds allow with Load-balancing - like we all asked for!

I think UAD2 is fair value for money.

FWIW I think they'll end up extending their cross-grade offer for the plugs (I hope!) - they did so with the PCI-PCIe every month....even tho they said it would end every month...
Old 30th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
What the hell is a whinger?
whinger - Definitions from Dictionary.com
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
You have "Never" heard "Me" say that I "Want" a new UAD, or anything like it. I have had much to say in the past about the UAD1 being grossly underpowered though. I have not cared and do not care about them coming out with the UAD2. The fact that they still tethered their plugs to a card and not natively is just stupid to me. Charge more for their plugs, they are worth it. Well worth it.
Universal Audio isn't going to go native this decade, perhaps not even ever. You're not out of line for wishing they would and UA is much better than most companies at listening to their customers but this is one issue you are not going to sway them on.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then they ship something that I can't even use
That says it all, doesn't it? PCI doesn't have the bandwidth to support UAD-2's.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Spain View Post
For me personally, I find it to be both predatory and unethical to target your install base in June for a $399 crossgrade promotion to UAD1e when you are planning on releasing a card with 2.5x the processing power w/transfer of plugs for free in August for $100 more without disclosing that information to them. It's complete BS and they clearly don't give a fvck about the people they suckered into that deal while trying to deplete their inventory.
Even then, the smart money was on Flexi Paks and Expert Paks. The cards were effectively free in those cases, you were paying for the plug-ins (and getting them at half price).
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
UAD-1 actually OUTPERFORMS UAD-2 in EX-1 stereo plug counts and Cambridge mono counts.
Something tells me people aren't going to be too worried about their low EX-1 and Cambridge instances.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
and please consider that 1500$ for a quad card means they did the SOLO just to force customers to get at least a DUO.
Force? I personally am using a couple Solo's now, 4 cards were always enough power for me and the Solo Flexi's are the best deal of all the cards. As I broke down earlier, the actual cards are only $119 after you figure in all the vouchers they come with.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba View Post
They should release another SE plugin called "Moog Drive" with only the Drive functions of that filter! "Subtle change in distortion" my ass--that distortion is sweet! I see myself buying this plugin mainly for the distortion, not necessarily the R2D2 noises (which would be cool, as well).
+1!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
I can only assume that tooka lot of work to create, so in saying that surely that means 50% of the work is already done for them in making their first synth i.e. Moog Voyager VST.
I think soft synths have come along way, but the filters never sound right.. It sounds like they've nailed it, so maybe this is the end of hardware synths.
Agreed! I didn't think they were going to take it this far - it seemed like they were just going to do the MoogerFooger pedals - and now it would be ridiculous for them NOT to do a full-blown Voyager. UA has always had a strong synth background in Joe and Matt, it's good to see them finally following through in that direction.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search