The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th August 2008
I think the UAD-2s are a solid value for the money.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Hmm. I think you kinda missed my point. I certainly was not talking about resale value anywhere in my post. I'm just pointing out that there are cost savings to be had by mass producing 1 card instead of 3. As it is RIGHT NOW, quad core systems [arguably] already render these cards worthless. I think it is a poor business decision to even bother putting out the weak solo especially. They could have focused on one card (mass produce the s#it out of it) and gave bonuses for buying more than one.

I'm just kind of disappointed since it would not be very cost effective for me to purchase this when I can just upgrade my PC with that cash (even though my current DAW makes it through huge sessions just fine). Everyone raves about these plugs so I was kind of excited about trying them, but I think I'll just stick with the plugins I currently have.
Cool. It's true; I mistook your "five years from now" to refer to user ownership and subsequent resale rather than off-the shelf purchase. Sorry.

The plugs are great, by the way. Should you run across a used UAD-1 at a decent price, I say grab it. The plugs themselves aren't going anyway anytime soon. And, even with a powerful computer, it's nice to take any load off the system procs.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
my mind regards the price instead...

i think a basic average power of 2.5x, after so many years, looks like not a BIG STEP AHEAD for these days !!

and please consider that 1500$ for a quad card means they did the SOLO just to force customers to get at least a DUO.
and 1500$ for ONE CARD WITHOUT ANY SERIOUS PLUGIN BUNDLED isn't a good deal for me

the reality is that buying a really much more powerfull card than UAD-1 means to spend at least the price for a DUO and other 500 700 $ for a few truly good plugins.
Even though I'll probably end up putting at least one Quad in my Mac Pro (once there's confirmation that it's working 100% with the MP/Logic), I kind of agree with what you're saying.

The power of DSP from when the UAD-1 was introduced until now has multiplied by well more than 2.5x.. look at any of today's latest processors (GPU, CPU, DSP). The early speculation in this thread about a Solo being around 10x and a Quad around 40x as powerful as a UAD-1 seemed about right and was kind of what I was expecting.

On the plus side it's very cool now that we can run up to 10x more instances of UAD plugins, which really should cover most needs... but I'm talking more about a dollars and cents issue.. based on other computer hardware components and cost:power ratio it seems like at it's price point the UAD-2 should be more powerful than it seems to be. UA is primarily a hardware company and they still tout the ability to run up to 4 Quad cards in one system, so the cynic in me wonders how powerful one card really could be.

One other thing... there's never an end around here to the venom that's spewed at Waves over WUP.. but for all of that it looks like a lot of people are going to line up to shell out $1500, $3000, $6000, etc, to be able to run more instances of plugins that they already own (and should have been able to run more instances of long ago)...

Don't take this as bashing UA, I love the UA gear that I own, just sharing some opinions...
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I think the point other posters were making about PTHD is the fact that HD users justify the outrageous price of their hardware by saying it pays for itself in the environment of a working studio. Why couldn't the same argument be made for a UAD-2 card?

The fact that your original UAD card didn't work with your HD system seems to be a red herring. Did you buy the UAD before PTHD? If so, you made the choice to get PTHD, which made the UAD obsolete. That's not UAD's fault, that's your fault. Plus, we would assume that while you had the UAD, you were making money with it, right? So, presumably, the card paid for itself a long time ago, which means you could have given it away and still been in the black. We don't all recoup 100% when we resell gear. 50% - 70% is more like it.

It boils down to the hypocrisy of justifying a overpriced HD rig, but complaining about a overpriced UAD-2 card.

(Personally, I think it's great that the new UAD doesn't work with PTHD - just one more nail in PTHD's coffin.)
Well that's just stupd. First of all, I own several systems. A Protools HD system that I don't need to justify, I love Protools HD. I don't charge for recording. I do it for free, that's right, for free. I usually do about 4 big projects a year for fun, just because I love it.

I also have a Logic/Symphony System that I use for remote recording.

My comments about pricing has nothing to do with any DAW, if you had read my post, you'd know that. I addressed everything in your post, with several different post in this thread, go back and read. If you do your homework, vice trying to drive an anti-Protools HD agenda, you'd realize that.

I'll say it again and again, I love UAD Plugs, simply the very best money can buy. The pricing of the UAD2 cards is insane.

UAD should have gone totally native. Charged more for their plugs. If they did, I think they'd make a killing and frankly, dominate the plugin market. Computers today can smoke the UAD2 Card and have tons left over. Think about where they will be in 2 years, what about 7 years? How long ago did UAD come out with the UAD1, 7 years or so?

Additionally, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of UAD users don't make a dime recording. Don't even try to.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

This may be cynical but I'm kinda thinking that if you need more than a UAD2 Quad the problem doesn't lie in the UAD cards performance...
Old 30th August 2008
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
If you are a hobbyist, this is big fun for short money (safe and sound, at home, making art). If you are a pro, it's tax decutable, made to make money with, and much less than the $1,000,000 you'd spend for equivalent hardware.
So the UAD-2 is equivalent to $1,000,000 in hardware? I guess it's a no brainer then

D
Old 30th August 2008
D K
Lives for gear

Posted this over at the UAD forum - maybe somebody here can set me straight ...

Quote:
I just don't understand this strategy - Follow with me and correct my thinking if I am wrong..

Here i am - I have to 2 UAD1 PCIE cards - I have saved my last open slot (PCI) for a third card - OK

Here comes UAD 2 - I'm really not interested in the Solo because it doesn't offer me enough extra power to lose one of my cards. The correct path for me would be the Duo because it offers me enough power upgrade and I get to keep the additional card to give me essentially 6 UAD. Here is what I don't understand..

The Duo is $899.00 - Fair enough.. but because of the artificial time limits on when I have to upgrade and the fact that it is the PCIE card not the PCI card that will lose it's value I'm essentially taken out of my desired upgrade path. Who wants to pay $200-250 for a UAD1 PCIE card when the UAD 2Solo is only $499.00? It doesn't really give you a significant power boost so all it really does is allow you to run the newer plugs - which we all know will probably be power hogs.

In my situation I would be better off just buying a PCI card for my additional slot but then I cant run the newer plugs or take advantage of the Neve EQ's which is what I really want. If I get a Solo - i pay $499.00 and lose a slot and then I still have to go into the used market to get the third card. If I wait until a better time to invest I pay $250 to port the plugs over.

Explain these to me

I don't understand the point of the Solo - 2.5 times the power after a 4+ year wait? - why not just start with the Duo? - The price is fine - market two cards with a decent upgrade path

Why the short window to port the plugs over? - It's almost the Christmas season and disposable income for hobbyist will be even shorter.

I love UAD and think they make the finest plugs in the business but I have to say that as a marketing executive who has launched many products before I am missing the strategy here and it seems shortsighted at best . I have the money to spend - i could place an order at JRR's right now but I like to spend smartly and with a plan and timetable - I really don't like when companies put shorterm gains before bringing along long term customers. Waves does that and that's why I don't do business with them.

I am sure that eventually I will probably adjust my time table because the plugs are integral to my color pallet but frankly UAD has lost a little of my respect today

I sure hope that I am not thinking clearly here and someone will set me straight............
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

True..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I think Paris managed the i/o as well...no? if you handle the I/o interfacing yourself realtime is not that hard to get.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe the next step for UAD is to Develope a Soft Mixer /Host.. A little birdie has informed me that SSL with debute such a product at the upcomming AES show..

Basically, it will consit of 128 channel (soft mixer ) with 128 channles of SSL(Duende) Comps, gates, Eqs on each channe.. (2) Madi cards=128 i/o and hardware i/o units.. Will work in all Vst DAWS even Pro Tools..

At a price of $3000.00 or less. Yes, again form the same reliabe source..

Things are lloking up in the Native Daw world...YOu heard it here first..
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
...128 channles of SSL(Duende) Comps, gates, Eqs on each channe..
128 channels per channel? That's like 16,000 eqs! Some GS'ers who complain about horsepower will finally be able to get a good mix.

Nah, I'm just kickin' ya...

In all seriousness -- HOLY SH!T!!!!!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Peeder - where did you find the above quote ?
UAD 5.0 manual. dl from the UA site.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
Maybe the next step for UAD is to Develope a Soft Mixer /Host.. A little birdie has informed me that SSL with debute such a product at the upcomming AES show..

Basically, it will consit of 128 channel (soft mixer ) with 128 channles of SSL(Duende) Comps, gates, Eqs on each channe.. (2) Madi cards=128 i/o and hardware i/o units.. Will work in all Vst DAWS even Pro Tools..

At a price of $3000.00 or less. Yes, again form the same reliabe source..

Things are lloking up in the Native Daw world...YOu heard it here first..
Maybe if this is true UA had no choice but to rush to market unprepared.

In which case there may be a pricing war brewing...

...goody for us.

(Of course the Duende channel strip sucks donkey effluents but that's another matter)
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Posted this over at the UAD forum - maybe somebody here can set me straight ...
The very last thing in the world I EVER thought I'd be saying today is that I'm not buying the upgrade.

Old 30th August 2008
Watch Matt Boudreau of Broken Records Studios mix a band with the UAD-2 and Cubase.

Anyone seen this yet?

YouTube - UAD-2: Mixing
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Arrrggggg! i've brought 3 UAD expert pack last month. now i want the Quad so badly!!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

guysssss

UAD Moog Multimode FIlter
Universal Audio Webzine | Plug-In Power
Old 30th August 2008
They should release another SE plugin called "Moog Drive" with only the Drive functions of that filter! "Subtle change in distortion" my ass--that distortion is sweet! I see myself buying this plugin mainly for the distortion, not necessarily the R2D2 noises (which would be cool, as well).
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba View Post
They should release another SE plugin called "Moog Drive" with only the Drive functions of that filter! "Subtle change in distortion" my ass--that distortion is sweet! I see myself buying this plugin mainly for the distortion, not necessarily the R2D2 noises (which would be cool, as well).
indeed - it has one of the best drive I have heard yet! it completely NAILS the sound
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics1207 View Post
Arrrggggg! i've brought 3 UAD expert pack last month. now i want the Quad so badly!!
Telleya what...you got a good deal. Count the plugins you have and the instances you can run, and see how much it would costya with UAD -2's.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
guysssss

UAD Moog Multimode FIlter
Universal Audio Webzine | Plug-In Power
There is no one criticizing the PLUGINS!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is no one criticizing the PLUGINS!
who said there was?!?
Old 30th August 2008

Quote:
The very last thing in the world I EVER thought I'd be saying today is that I'm not buying the upgrade.

I think after the newness wears off, a LOT of people will come to the same conclusion.
Old 30th August 2008
Here for the gear

Maybe a ridiculous question but....

Can the UAD-2 run on my G5 with PCI slots or is it only for PCIe equipped machines?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

PCIe only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I think after the newness wears off, a LOT of people will come to the same conclusion.
Well things aren't so bad as to get me to use URS or Waves, certainly. tutt

They'll fix it. Perhaps via HR.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

That Moof Filter looks pretty frikin sweet..

I can only assume that tooka lot of work to create, so in saying that surely that means 50% of the work is already done for them in making their first synth i.e. Moog Voyager VST.
I think soft synths have come along way, but the filters never sound right.. It sounds like they've nailed it, so maybe this is the end of hardware synths.

Also, considering they already release vintage Roland effects, why not do a Jupiter-8 or System 100? I wouldn't be surprised if this is already on the cards..
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbronson View Post
I would gladly pay $2000 for the something I couldn't tell apart sonically from a 128 channel Neve console
Don't be fooled by marketing retoric. The plugs may have a vib, but there is a world of difference between plugs and a console. tutt
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

hmmmm got me thinking about this. there was no way i woulda got the uad-1 over the last couple years but now it looks more feasable.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

if I ever catch a girlfriend cheating on me I will punish her by making her read every post in this thread.

With one eye shut.

Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

impressive that this UAD-2 rumor thread started 2004.
Old 30th August 2008
Quote:

And????
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search