The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I join Tanzanians and Luxembourgers in a hearty fuuck

Ok Leonid

Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

i really dont feel its overpriced vs duende or powercores...
its stated that a single uad 2 Quad offers more power than 10 uad-1s... well most ppl that have 2,3,4 card would love to just buy 1 card.. i know i would.. i plan on getting the Quad.. maybe 2 just so i know i have native power and never actually have to upgrade... knowing i'll be able to run 24/88.2 sessions with out a uad-1 crapping out after a few 1073's...

the price of 1 big uad1 plus 3 project card cost more than a single Quad uad2.. i'd get the uad2... and i am
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Question:

So if I have a couple leftover UAD-1s that don't work with my new intel mac, I can port the plugs to UAD-2 and sell the UAD-1 cards w/o the plugs for lunch money?

Right?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I paid 700.00 for my Soundtoys TDM plugs and sold them for 700.00. I paid 250.00 for my MCDSP TDM Plugs and Sold them for 225.00. I paid 500.00 for my liquid mix, sold it for 475.00. I paid 175.00 for Revibe TDM sold it for 150.00. All very small losses compared to what happened with UAD.
OR you can try buying plugins... keeping them... and use them to make music or a great studio that can in turn make you money.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Personally It's best they stated that pt LE/HD is not working.

They released at the right time. I think the crossover deal is more then fair. I think the new cards are are perfect, given the price point.

UA is a pretty cool company. I also dig business and the machine of making money, and This whole UAD-2 thing was done pretty well in my opinion. Even down to being able to still use our current UAD-1's along side of the new cards...

given that, I always thought I could get away with 3 cards (have two now) and not have to freeze tracks. But I only currently use the 1176/La2a on the cards....

Now I'm salivating for two Quads.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
OR you can try buying plugins... keeping them... and use them to make music or a great studio that can in turn make you money.
I sold these plugs because they do not work on my Protools HD rig and the fact that I have an HD2 with only 1 slot left and an expansion box was not an option. Couldn't really do anything with one card.

So it's either let the card and plugins sit there for the most part, never to be used, or sell them and cut my losses. Which were massive by the way.

I was obviously a big fan of the UAD plugs when running naitive, I did buy them all.

I still am a huge fan of the plugs, but the pricing of these cards is insane. My mac could run more of their plugs if ported naitivly than 2 of their quad cards, plus a lot more.

For the price of 2 quad core cards you can buy a brand new 8 core mac. And people think this is a good deal and priced any where near right?

Look, if Peeder alone is unhappy, that should tell all of us something considering he is the number 1 UAD Plug fan, certainly on this site anyways.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post

Now I'm salivating for two Quads.
I've bitched about lack of power as much as anyone, but I think ONE quad will do me for the time heh
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
I've bitched about lack of power as much as anyone, but I think ONE quad will do me for the time heh

With my Duende, Macpro 8 core and Poco FW I think ONE duo will do!!

//Jamzone
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
sell the UAD-1 cards w/o the plugs for lunch money?

Right?
Right, within a few months, might get enough for a #1 Value Meal at McDonalds.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Look, if Peeder alone is unhappy, that should tell all of us something considering he is the number 1 UAD Plug fan, certainly on this site anyways.
Well as far as I know I can't even run the plugins on my machine in Pro Tools on a new card...and many of the best plugins won't run yet anyway. So I'm SOL...how surprised is anyone that I'm unhappy?

With this clumsy an initial offering, they should have sent me one for free.

They should also, as I said a year ago, try to get the old cards out of circulation, because they don't want to have to continue to support them. That's why they should have done a trade-in. Only problem is they are shipping in such a totally lame state they lost that opportunity, as people are going to have to continue using the old cards for quite a while still.

Obviously they have one or two incredible employees who do the modelling work and everyone around them is a dim bulb.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
so i know i have native power and never actually have to upgrade... knowing i'll be able to run 24/88.2 sessions
I've been able to do this for the last 2 years with my MacPro. Why do I need a card to do that, let alone 2 of them?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
put a shirt on?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
put a shirt on?
He just lost his shirt paying for the quad! heh
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
put a shirt on?
you are hilarious!!! how many times have you responded with that line to one of my posts?

ha ha ha. you are one funny guy.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I sold these plugs because they do not work on my Protools HD rig and the fact that I have an HD2 with only 1 slot left and an expansion box was not an option. Couldn't really do anything with one card.
So you're running PT HD and you're calling the UAD overpriced?

The pricing of any product is a complicated formula based on R&D, competitive products, overhead, and sometimes just bravado/brand recognition (not to mention materials, manufacturing and distribution).

The reason that they released those videos is that people were clamoring for information and the speculation was out of hand. I think that says something about the UAD-1. Guess what, people liked it.

My fearless prediction is that if these things work as advertised, they will sell like hotcakes at these prices. If so they are not overpriced period. Certainly the duende looks laughable now.

UA has the best plugins. Do you want to hem and haw about pricing strategies, upgrade paths, and futureproofing or do you want the best sounding plugins?

I'm personally going to wait just a minute to see if there are any gotchas based on other users and then I'll buy a quad right quick, load up a bunch of neves and smile.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

aww for F**ks sake...

you: WE WANT A UAD-2 WE WANT A UAD-2!!
UA: here it is
YOU: it's too expensive.

tutt

anddfegad

-s0nguy
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

It looks like it is just about time to pick up some of these UAD-1 cards I keep hearing about
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

ok so where are the new plugins???? fatso????? i guess they are going to announce that soonish.....
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloBeddoe View Post
So you're running PT HD and you're calling the UAD overpriced?
Go back in this thread and read my posts in this thread. Had you done that you would not ask that question or make that comment.

It kills me when people quote someone without seeing everything they have to say so that they understand the context of the points being made within the entire conversation. Don't just pick and choose from one comment amongst many on the subject.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykesh View Post
I think that's a really lousy way to treat customers to make them pay $25 per plugin to transfer them after this year!
I guess you don't have any dfegad Waves plug ins, do you ... that is a common annual cost in the waves world. It cost me over $100+/year to keep my RennBundle up to date.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Work as advertised? Well, it's called the UAD -2. i.e. UAD, minus 2.

Minus 2 much!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
aww for F**ks sake...

you: WE WANT A UAD-2 WE WANT A UAD-2!!
UA: here it is
YOU: it's too expensive.

tutt

anddfegad

-s0nguy
You have "Never" heard "Me" say that I "Want" a new UAD, or anything like it. I have had much to say in the past about the UAD1 being grossly underpowered though. I have not cared and do not care about them coming out with the UAD2. The fact that they still tethered their plugs to a card and not natively is just stupid to me. Charge more for their plugs, they are worth it. Well worth it.

"Note: Personal Privacy is Something That Should Be Respected" I needed to replace what I had typed here due to another poster being way out of line.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Work as advertised? Well, it's called the UAD -2. i.e. UAD, minus 2.

Minus 2 much!
+1

but what is the alternative now?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

With the budgets on most of the projects I work on, I'm never really too excited to plunk down large-ish sums of money except on fantastic hardware that I know can't go "obsolete." But man - Plate 140 is amazing. The 33609 is excellent. Space Echo 201 is my favorite delay plug I've ever used, and as soon as it's ported over and the PTHD issues are resolved, absolutely it's worth it to me to go UAD2. Even if it was just to have as many instances of Plate140 and Roland201 as I wanted, it'd be worth it to me.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering how far they were behind, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the UAD2 Quad is almost 1500.00 even if it is 10 times the old UAD Card. They were 20 times behind the current card. The UAD Quad should have come in at 599.00 and it should have been the only option.

I would not touch UAD ever again after this, it’s crazy. Most of you are going nuts over it, I just don’t get it.

If they ran it natively, we could get a 50 times the performance for free on our computers like we do with other Native options.

My perspective would be different if they did not have their head in their butt on this by grossly overcharging for and update to a grossly outdated piece of gear.

I am dumbfounded.
I know many many people with both a powercore and a UAD-1 and it is always the UAD-1 they rave about. Even though you needed two if you wanted to do anything with the Neve stuff. OK so maybe it took a while to get version 2 out but I don't think its over priced. That is some serious power and some of the best sounding software plugs you can get around IMO.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

guy in town has a UAD-1 plus project pack for $150.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
With the budgets on most of the projects I work on, I'm never really too excited to plunk down large-ish sums of money except on fantastic hardware that I know can't go "obsolete." But man - Plate 140 is amazing. The 33609 is excellent. Space Echo 201 is my favorite delay plug I've ever used, and as soon as it's ported over and the PTHD issues are resolved, absolutely it's worth it to me to go UAD2. Even if it was just to have as many instances of Plate140 and Roland201 as I wanted, it'd be worth it to me.
I've always felt that the Plate 140 was over hyped, had it, never used it

I like the Roland 201, but stopped using it once I had Soundtoys.
Old 29th August 2008
I've put nearly £1,300 into my Duende (and I don't even have Drumstrip yet).

I love it, I think it's been totally worth it -

but next to that, this UAD-2 (even Quad) looks like an absolute bargain.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhang View Post
I know many many people with both a powercore and a UAD-1 and it is always the UAD-1 they rave about. Even though you needed two if you wanted to do anything with the Neve stuff. OK so maybe it took a while to get version 2 out but I don't think its over priced. That is some serious power and some of the best sounding software plugs you can get around IMO.
Read all my post in this thread an you'll find that I agree with everything you say, except price.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am disappointed in the rollout, the very idea that they would charge long-suffering UAD-1 users to transfer their plugins to a modern chip (I don't care if they will never actually charge that fee, the very thought of it is a total insult), the fact they had all these years and still couldn't port all the plugins over for launch, and the fact they don't have RTAS support working anyway.

REAL BAD.

The price should be very low for upgraders from existing cards...in fact I would tell them to make it all purchasing plugins (i.e. every dollar you spend becomes a voucher dollar) when trading in 4 UAD-1's for a quad.

tutt
Wait, the plug transfers are free for the rest of the year........
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search