The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I don't like that the Nevana 32 only includes the 88rs. You have to get the duo to actually get the rest of the Neve plugs. What a piss poor deal.

Edit: btw... Sweetwater has it listed wrong. The above info is taken from UAUDIO.COM.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuss88 View Post
looks like Universal Audio is poking fun at all them Mac and ProTools snobs
Old 29th August 2008
Forgive me for asking this question, but I'm not clear on this issue---if I sell my UAD-1 Mackie card and all my other UAD-1 cards, will I have to purchase the 1176 and LA2A for UAD-2?
Old 29th August 2008
So.... ehhhhh (chews carrot like Bugs Bunny) like you know.... (chomp chomp) I was given a UAD-2 card today at the launch party (the one chip Solo card) and uh... (chomp chomp) I was thinking like... (chomp chomp) that it wont fit in my MacBook Air so like.. why don't I do a Gearslutz.com give away for it...?

Details of the Gearslutz.com UAD-2 giveaway - to be announced...

Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Everyone keep this in mind. When you make the commitment to go UAD, you are in. The resale value plugins in general are not that great, but the resale of UAD Plugins' is by far the worst. I had a UAD1e card with over 1800.00 in plugins. Over a 4-month period I tried to sell the package and could only get 700.00 and this included the card. By far, the very worst investment I've ever made.

I paid 700.00 for my Soundtoys TDM plugs and sold them for 700.00. I paid 250.00 for my MCDSP TDM Plugs and Sold them for 225.00. I paid 500.00 for my liquid mix, sold it for 475.00. I paid 175.00 for Revibe TDM sold it for 150.00. All very small losses compared to what happened with UAD.

You pay premium for premium plugs, I will never knock the supreme quality of UAD plugins, they are the best of the best, but I will never understand why they are so worthless on the used market. FWIW, The plugins I had, were the most sought after. I base this based on all the discussion regarding the plugs I owned.

Go figure.

Make your decision wisely.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Considering how far they were behind, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the UAD2 Quad is almost 1500.00 even if it is 10 times the old UAD Card. They were 20 times behind the current card. The UAD Quad should have come in at 599.00 and it should have been the only option.

I suspect that if you took a look at the demand curve they'd sell at least 4 times as many Quads at $599, it's short-sighted on their part, upsets their install base (their would-be first adopters of the UAD2) and it's a marketing decision that their shareholders ultimately won't appreciate in hindsight...I hope the drivers work better than the ones they coded for the UAD-1s.

I guess the main question that I have is who's the marketing genius with the email address of every single registered card owner that doesn't bother to send out a new product pricing questionnaire in return for a free plug/$100 credit etc...? They know exactly who we are & they could have gotten a very good idea of exactly what the demand curve looked like & priced the piece accordingly.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Lulz
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Looks like the street price on the UAD2 Solo is going to be $499. $799 with a $500 voucher. Not to far from what the UAD1e is currently at, no?

Yes they could have run natively, but this method protects their IP better. Yes, they could have priced them quite a bit lower, but who's to say they won't have "Year End" sales and promotions that bring the price down?

I think they're playing their hand wisely if the long-term future of proprietary DSP hardware is shaky. They have a large installed base and are making a compelling argument to upgrade. They're betting that most people will pick the upgrade path over a competing vendor and they've probably done quite a bit of research as to exactly how much $$$ they can extract from the installed base without risking too much defection.

As far as new business is concerned, the price point is only $100 more. From UADs perspective, a well thought out move, I'd say.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
If Nigel is discontinued, can I still run it on my UAD-1 card when I upgrade to V5.0 and buy a UAD-2 Quad?
Yes.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
But I do find it pathetic to make a card that's 2,5 more 'powerful' than a SIX year old one.
Actually, the Sharc chip is state-of-the-art DSP so I think it actually is a testament to the power of the original UAD-1 chip. Do you know any other DSP audio cards that were capable of performing 192khz upsampling six years ago?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering how far they were behind, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the UAD2 Quad is almost 1500.00 even if it is 10 times the old UAD Card. They were 20 times behind the current card. The UAD Quad should have come in at 599.00 and it should have been the only option.

I would not touch UAD ever again after this, it’s crazy. Most of you are going nuts over it, I just don’t get it.

If they ran it natively, we could get a 50 times the performance for free on our computers like we do with other Native options.

My perspective would be different if they did not have their head in their butt on this by grossly overcharging for and update to a grossly outdated piece of gear.

I am dumbfounded.
I apologize for my flippant three word response. No disrespect was intended. It was just an honest, quick response. I was dumbfounded by your being dumbfounded. I saw your post and I just sighed. To me, your post was tantamount to saying "I want my miracles now and I want them cheap!"

I mean, $600? For all that power? You want people to pay just $600 to be granted access to countless simultaneous instances of stunning approximations of Fairchilds, Neve 33609s, Pultecs, Fatsos, Transient Designers, 1176s, Helios EQ's, Moog filters, LA3s, LA2s, Plate 140s, etc.?

$600? Really?

I do not share your sense of valuation here. I just see it from the opposite perspective. I'm like, f*ck, for less than $2k, you might have all the power you would ever realistically need in most real world mix applications. I mean, some 20-year-old is going to start a great little minimalist studio with just a modern Mac, a UAD QUAD card, some mics, pres, and converters and, pretty much, nothing else. And if that person is truly gifted, they're going to blow us all away with what they can do. Think back just one decade (let alone two) and realize how far we've come. Try timetravelling and telling someone in 1998 what the UAD2 can do and that you feel it is overpriced because it's not $600. $600 in 2008 dollars...

Speculative comparisons to hypothetical Native options are just specious to me. We live in a world where rank data theft is common place. Native was never an option for UA. So let's lay that aside.

I would say that we're now hitting a plateau of what computers can do with audio. I have a Mac Pro at my studio that has just stupid, stupid amounts of processing power. Along with a Apogee Symphony AD16x/DA16x system that sounds just incredible, we can run 24/96kHz multi-track mixes with endless tracks and complex routing, plugins, etc. I feel like we are underachievers just for using it for music. I feel like we should be, y'know, making Pixar movies or something. Or solving global warming. Or cloning Gandhi.

To use these modern hyper-powered computers as a kind of benchmark for valuation of UAD2 is just... well, it's missing the point.

I think you are getting a little spoiled by the blinding speed of the advancement of technology and taking some amazing wonders of the modern age for granted. The UAD-1 was a mind-boggling breakthrough in sound quality and empowered a whole generation of hobbyist-level engineers who would not otherwise have access to professional studio equipment.

I am still a lover of high end analog outboard equipment [latest romance is with this incredible thing], but I gotta admit that some of the UAD stuff dazzles me in terms of its value and utility. I mean, I don't even want to tally up the total value of the gear in my studio. I'm in my mid 30s, and all I can feel right now is envy for the young kid who can now spend less than $10k and, if he/she is good, make a masterpiece.

I think you want the bar to keep moving in the consumers direction and the consumer's direction only. But why shouldn't UA charge a premium for their innovation? They are a corporation. They want to make money. Their pricepoint is considered with respect to demand. That's how it works. They're not sitting there thinking "Well, when you consider what today's computers can do..."

In my opinion --- and I know this will be a controversial statement on Gearslutz --- we truly have hit a moment in audio recording history when skill and talent and experience will be the only determiner of outcome. Gear is mattering less and less each day. Skill is mattering more.

With a UAD2 Quad and a Mac Pro, you could have something like a virtual Blackbird Studios. (My apologies to Blackbird and all other studios of this caliber. I'm just making an argument here...)

Revel in the power, pursue your dreams, make great music. Do anything but complain.

We're all lucky UA didn't charge twice as much. 'Cause they could have and it still would have sold a zillion units.

- c
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You pay premium for premium plugs, I will never knock the supreme quality of UAD plugins, they are the best of the best, but I will never understand why they are so worthless on the used market.
I think this relates to the fact that they are proprietary. No card, no plugins. Makes for lop-sided supply/demand, maybe?
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

You have to pay to transfer your plugins??

I think that's a really lousy way to treat customers to make them pay $25 per plugin to transfer them after this year!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba View Post
Forgive me for asking this question, but I'm not clear on this issue---if I sell my UAD-1 Mackie card and all my other UAD-1 cards, will I have to purchase the 1176 and LA2A for UAD-2?

Technically speaking, this is how it's supposed to work but we've seen people hang on to their 1176LN and LA2A licenses after selling their Mackie cards. YMMV.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

v5.0 solve UAD-1 load balancing issues?

Anyone know if V5.0 helps with UAD-1 Load balancing issues.

It would seem that this could be the case since it is supposed to run happily with the UAD-2??
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykesh View Post
I think that's a really lousy way to treat customers to make them pay $25 per plugin to transfer them after this year!
The idea is for you to crossgrade to a UAD-2 before 2009. I don't think UA wants to be doing transfers after 2008.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
15. Q: How does the new LiveTrack™ feature work?
• A: The LiveTrack mode reduces latency on an active UAD-2 plug-in to the lowest possible amount. This feature is
highly useful for monitoring processed audio when recording live performances. In LiveTrack Mode, UAD-2 signal
data is transferred and processed “immediately” instead of being buffered, resulting in reduced latency.
• NOTE: When LiveTrack is active, host CPU loading increases. LiveTrack does not reduce the latency of your Audio
This is some initially great news but I am wondering how much of a CPU loading issue this is for our computers ?

Does anyone know ?
Old 29th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

I can't wait to find out for myself, True North...

War
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

doesnt have the Live Track mode as i see it
or they forgot to mention it because the Nevana SOLO shows it in the features
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hopefully some people will chime in that have beta tested this. The low latency mode is particularly interesting.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Overpriced.....not really.....

If you own a UAD-1 and buy the Quad Flexi, you get a $250 voucher, plus another $500 voucher in the Flexi. Thats $750 of software....minus that from the $1800 the card costs, and you get $1050 cost of the card, which is a little more than the Mackie card I bought years ago, and I get 10x the power and more plugins, and the usage of 2 old UAD-1 cards in the same system.
Old 29th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

There is nothing more to these cards than a couple of computer parts slapped together, the rest is magic and free. UA doesn't have other costs to recoup, people to pay, coding to create, thousands of hours of investment, expensive equipment, marketing and support budgets, rent, oh not to mention profits.

I think the correct math is:

raw cost of parts

+

the way we feel

-

UA's damn dirty conscience they must have for me feeling that way

=

DIRT CHEAP!

YAY!

War dfegad
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
There is nothing more to these cards than a couple of computer parts slapped together, the rest is magic and free. UA doesn't have other costs to recoup, people to pay, coding to create, thousands of hours of investment, expensive equipment, marketing and support budgets, rent, oh not to mention profits.

I think the correct math is:

raw cost of parts

+

the way we feel

-

UA's damn dirty conscience they must have for me feeling that way

=

DIRT CHEAP!

YAY!

War dfegad
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

- c
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

What does everyone estimate the used price of the UAD1 will plummet to? Are we going to witness a massive deluge of UAD1's on Ebay in the coming weeks?

Brad
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Are plugins gonna sound even better on the UAD2 ?
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjimmer View Post
Anyone know if V5.0 helps with UAD-1 Load balancing issues.

It would seem that this could be the case since it is supposed to run happily with the UAD-2??
5.0 does not help load balancing when running only UAD-1 cards. Maybe it helps in a hybrid UAD-1 and UAD-2 system, but I can confirm you at least need a UAD-2 in your system to use the new L.O.D.E. stuff.
Old 29th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

I forget the **** in one hand, wish in the other part of my math above also.

Brad, I'm keeping my UAD-1 and am going to run it alongside a UAD-2. I don't know, doesn't seem maybe worth it to dump it at this point...and yes I paid for my card even though I'm a dealer!

War
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I am disappointed in the rollout, the very idea that they would charge long-suffering UAD-1 users to transfer their plugins to a modern chip (I don't care if they will never actually charge that fee, the very thought of it is a total insult), the fact they had all these years and still couldn't port all the plugins over for launch, and the fact they don't have RTAS support working anyway.

REAL BAD.

The price should be very low for upgraders from existing cards...in fact I would tell them to make it all purchasing plugins (i.e. every dollar you spend becomes a voucher dollar) when trading in 4 UAD-1's for a quad.

tutt
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Unbelievable.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
The idea is for you to crossgrade to a UAD-2 before 2009. I don't think UA wants to be doing transfers after 2008.
UA has a history of keeping their users happy with fair business practices.
The issue here, though, is that UAD2 is not compatible with
PT LE. Until, they have it working properly, then they should
have some kind of deadline like this.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search