The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD2 is a PCIE card Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Come on, man.

- c
Excellent argument. I think we can declare this thread 'finished'.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
5.00 totaly rocks ! ! !

on my 4 UAD-1's . . . . .
How so?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Truly the blind leading the blind. Everyone is so excited for a replacement to finally come that logical thinking is out the window.

I knew the moment I posted this I was going to be against all odds and take a lot of heat, but it's argument worth all of that to me.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

i dunno. overpriced? perhaps. depends on your perspective. "grossly", nah.

the duende runs 16 stereo channels at $1500

UAD2 quad runs 76 instances of 88rs at $1700-2000 (depending on how you buy it)

we can argue details, but I wouldn't say it's grossly overpriced.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, looks like UAD just dropkicked the competition.
Now I'll have to upgrade my PCI PC.
Before this, there was no real reason in my mind to do so.
At this point, should I stay PC or go Mac???
Bravo UA!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

the plugs sound great, can't argue with that.

I purchased uad-1 years ago, sold it cuz of latency workarounds, ended up buying it back having worked with most plugs out there... obviously taste is subjective, but I like the way my mixes sound with these plugs.

otz
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
At this point, should I stay PC or go Mac???
Bravo UA!
lol - don't want to turn this into a PC/Mac war, but this is what I've been waiting for to move from PC to an 8core Mac.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
. . .
At least I know I have 5-8 years before the UAD-3 comes out!
I seriously doubt that. Odds are that AD-(a seriously huge co ) will have a new sharc within 18 months or so, perhaps even a 'multicore' sharc. UA will simply update their board layout, and presto, U3 with even more power + lower cost. (Sharcs are backwards software compatible), so no re-porting of any plugs or drivers, etc. You laugh? If UA doesn't use a newer/faster sharc, a competitor will.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Nigel is not ported to UAD2 but otherwise it looks very cool.
Old 29th August 2008
If you kind of do the math along the lines of: I'm going to buy a quad core plus a UAD2 card. Or, I could take that $1500 and put it into the computer itself and get an 8 core at the highest possible performance.

The extra $1500 on top of whatever you were putting into the computer to begin with could take the native performance up so high that I'm not sure the extra complexity and latency of an outboard device really makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

You could easily make the argument that the Duende is quickly outdated as well with the advent of 8 core Macs. To me, any card based DSP, including Protools HD is outdated and not justifiable at this point. For this very point, I do not use my HD cards for plugins, I use RTAS plugs.

So to me, it's not right to even compare to any other DSP base option, compare to how many Waves Neve plugs can I run on an 8 Core Mac, a lot more than on any of the UAD cards.

Now we can debate the quality of the plug and I will concede immediately that UAD's plugs blow everything else away, so even only able to run half the number of a Waves Neve compared to a UAD Neve natively would be acceptable if all done on the computers processor.

Think about this objectively for a minute.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncite View Post
It looks like they've solved the load balancing problem. Check in the end of the video where she talks about "L.O.D.E."
yeah, but that sentence ends with:
'which dynamically balances the load on the uad-2'

Does that mean no load-balance on uad-1 with 5.00 ??????

Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
From the UA website - note: the following issue are unfortunate.
  • (UAD-2 RTAS) Pro Tools LE and HD are not officially supported with the UAD-2 in v5.0.0 due to crash and/or performance issues. If you elect to use the UAD-2 under Pro Tools, select a Hardware Buffer Size setting of no less than 1024 and use as few RTAS Processors as possible (set in Playback Engine settings in Pro Tools).
  • (UAD-2) UAD DelayComp and UAD TrackAdv plug-ins are not yet available for the UAD-2. These will be included in a future release.

anyone else reading the fine print here and found concerns?

Hobson
Definitely a concern for me, as I'm a PTLE user. I think they'll work out the issue eventually, they know there's a lot of PT users (LE & M-Powered, HD) and it would be wise to cover those users also.

The icing on the cake would be if they would make RTAS versions of the plugins, Digidesign should be very open-minded about working with the UA folks and eventually work out whatever bugs are going on in PT. As far as DelayComp issues, I purchased the Mellomuse ATA plugin a few days ago and am waiting for their RTAS release, so I'm hoping that soon, working with UAD plugins in PTLE will be much easier than its been over the last few years.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister View Post
lol - don't want to turn this into a PC/Mac war, but this is what I've been waiting for to move from PC to an 8core Mac.
You should check to see how 8-core users are doing with the new V.5 software. I've heard some report that the previous software had compatibility issues.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

plugins are all grossly overpriced, and will all be obsolete in 5 years or less.

-Freq
Old 29th August 2008
Here for the gear

$599? I think would close down for business.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
Nigel is not ported to UAD2 but otherwise it looks very cool.
Yup, but keep in mind that you can still use your UAD-1 cards with the UAD-2s, so if you still want to use Nigel, you can use it on the UAD-1 cards.

It looks like they may be working with NI in the future too, I saw a soft synth with the NI logo in one of the videos, hm (scratches head).
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to pick up a UAD-2 card, probably a quad. Price is right for me.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
bah...
scratch that.. the UAD2 is pcie only..
I'm definitely gonna have to upgrade to an intel soon...
It makes sense, PCI is a dead technology. Few companies are making PCI versions of their products, since no future PCs will have any more than 1 PCI slot. PCIe also sport much faster buss speeds, which the Sharc chips likely require with up to 4 chips on a card.

What I love, is that the Sharc chip is only 2.5 times more powerful than the original chip. I just think that stands as a testimate to how good the original "underpowered" 7 year old card was. But with the multi-processor capabilities of the Sharc chip, this is sure to be a powerful product. Especially for those people who will use 4 of them.

Still not sure if I'll be in the first wave of people shelling out though. My two UAD-1s are working quite well.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Don't many of UA high quality plugs upsample to 192khz? What would a large number of those type of plugs due to a large track count, high-res mix?

Regardless, according to their new chart the UAD-2 SOLO ($500) can run 20 channels of Neve 1073 EQ versus the UAD-1 running only 5.

And you can bet upcoming plugs (Fatso) will be high DSP usage as well.

I'll take the UAD-2 over an iLok any day!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

If Nigel is discontinued, can I still run it on my UAD-1 card when I upgrade to V5.0 and buy a UAD-2 Quad?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Considering how far they were behind, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the UAD2 Quad is almost 1500.00 even if it is 10 times the old UAD Card.
I'm not sure what to think about that, given the quality of the plugs.

But I do find it pathetic to make a card that's 2,5 more 'powerful' than a SIX year old one.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict
I don't have a problem with the price they set..it seems more than fair considering what my HD Accel rig cost!
I DO have a serious problem with their new policy of charging a substantial transfer fee to port the plugins i have purchased for my UAD1's in order to go to UAD 2.
There seems absolutely no reason for this but to make more money and i think there will be a backlash against them because of it. After all, I bought their stupid cards, I paid extra for their plugins that have absolutely no resale value and now, if I want one of their new cards that run the exact same plugins I need to pay $250 for the privilege!!
Well guess what..I don't.
I'll stick with my Pro Tools and wait for McDSP to make AU for Logic.
Perhaps they have been watching Waves and thier WUP too closely.
dfegad

Lifer
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
plugins are all grossly overpriced, and will all be obsolete in 5 years or less.
Plugs don't get obsolete necessarily, since they can be upgraded. And, though people often think that Waves, for instance, is expensive, when you add up the per-plugin price, it's not very high. The street price for Waves Platinum is like $1725, and there are around 30 plugs in it. So that comes out about $55 per plug.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

looks like Universal Audio is poking fun at all them Mac and ProTools snobs
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Holy crap! I stop posting for a couple weeks and UAD-2 comes out!

Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
I DO have a serious problem with their new policy of charging a substantial transfer fee to port the plugins i have purchased for my UAD1's in order to go to UAD 2.
There's a free plugin transfer through the end of this year.

Plus crossgrade vouchers.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktober View Post
I seriously doubt that. Odds are that AD-(a seriously huge co ) will have a new sharc within 18 months or so, perhaps even a 'multicore' sharc. UA will simply update their board layout, and presto, U3 with even more power + lower cost. (Sharcs are backwards software compatible), so no re-porting of any plugs or drivers, etc. You laugh? If UA doesn't use a newer/faster sharc, a competitor will.
Was thinking exactly that when I ordered mine...

Flexi pack with $500 + $250 crossgrade for 1650! Quad card hits around $900, and $750 for the new plugs
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Nut

It's a tad overpriced, but since they made it, They get to set the price. Which is the way it should be.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
You should check to see how 8-core users are doing with the new V.5 software. I've heard some report that the previous software had compatibility issues.
Made practically bog-all difference on my system (8x2.8 Mac Pro 2008, 8Gb RAM, 1xUAD-1e).

The only noticeable improvement is that the symptoms of failure when I load one single UAD plugin on an audio track is that with 4.10 I got a speaker-blowing buzz and CPU overload, now I just get clicking followed by CPU overload. It's a nicer sound, but still not useful.

YMMV
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search